Notices

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

AVRT:
Many thanks for introducing more precision into my muddled thinking! You apparently have a much broader knowledge of the subject than I do. Yet, despite my inaccuracies, despite my ignorance of "current developments", despite my lack of understanding of the "real nature" of this illness, or whatever one may call it, despite all this, if someone were to come to me today, someone who has gone through what I went through for forty years, who has suffered as I have suffered, and if that someone were to say, "What would you recommend I do to get myself out of this mess?" I would say, "First, find a physician who has been well trained to deal with these issues, then be entirely candid with that physician, follow his or her recommendations, and, finally, seek some kind of group support. Try AA if you feel you can do that. Try several groups. If you feel that AA is not compatible or uncongenial, then try some other group program. But even if you have to do it alone, preferably with some kind of counseling (that didn't really work for me, however) there's one thing that you must do and that one thing is NEVER GIVE UP".
That's all I have to say. I hope I'm entitled to say it since I've been to the territory and I've come back.

W.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
...if someone were to come to me today, someone who has gone through what I went through for forty years, who has suffered as I have suffered, and if that someone were to say, "What would you recommend I do to get myself out of this mess?" I would say, "First, find a physician who has been well trained to deal with these issues, then be entirely candid with that physician, follow his or her recommendations, and, finally, seek some kind of group support.
Certainly understandable, and I'm not entirely certain I wouldn't recommend a support group myself, depending on the person.

Try AA if you feel you can do that. Try several groups. If you feel that AA is not compatible or uncongenial, then try some other group program. But even if you have to do it alone, preferably with some kind of counseling (that didn't really work for me, however) there's one thing that you must do and that one thing is NEVER GIVE UP".

That's all I have to say. I hope I'm entitled to say it since I've been to the territory and I've come back.
You are indeed.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I think, instead, what I have a hard time believing is that anyone can live, or desires to live, with the idea that all this is random, that we're random, and that some little blip in the chaos spit us out, and everything we've built is no big deal.
Zencat, while I understand your frustration, and your desire to respond, but I'm not sure how much good it does in the long run. There have always been atheists throughout history, and there always will be.

Sugah, I don't think that an atheist who feels that life was not created, that it was a "blip in the chaos," necessarily feels that it is all "no big deal." For an atheist who does not believe in intelligent creation, might not the existence of life, and human life in particular, in spite of the very slim chances, make it quite a big deal? For an atheist who does not believe in an afterlife, might not the belief that this is the only life they have to live, without possibility of another, make it all the more valuable to them?

The more scarce and rare that something is, the more valuable it is, no?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by AVRT
For an atheist who does not believe in an afterlife, might not the belief that this is the only life they have to live, without possibility of another, make it all the more valuable to them?
nail...head...yup
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You folks have given a great deal of thought to this and I find your exchange fascinating. Bookmarked to that I can take my time to digest these ideas. I completely agree with the locus of control distinction. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

This thread has been good for my spiritual growth. Thanks, y'all (or, as we say in these parts, yinz...)!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-03-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I can't understand this. The assertion seems to imply that anything spiritual makes no sense. Thus (if "It is spiritual" then "it makes no sense"). Spirituality, then, is senseless, nonsense. I humbly and respectfully disagree and I am joined in this by I estimate several billions of persons over around seven thousand centuries. In believing in "nonsense" at least I'm in good company!
376 million Buddhists can't be wrong:

Zen Statistics: How Many Buddhists Are There Worldwide? | NowPublic News Coverage
Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Oh me...

Originally Posted by wpainterw
Spirituality, then, is senseless, nonsense. I humbly and respectfully disagree and I am joined in this by I estimate several billions of persons over around seven thousand centuries. In believing in "nonsense" at least I'm in good company!
Harmony...that's a spiritual act...yes? Would also harmony between those of different beliefs be spiritual too? Hows the record of harmony reflected between those that have different faiths recorded in time? Just some ponderances on my part...food for thought on spiritual matters maybe. Oh, never mind. No so that's a good thing.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can (just about) define spirituality for myself, but I wouldn't presume to define it for others...

it's too personal IMO - not to mention I think it's trying to catch a gale with a sieve anyway....

I fear we're heading up an idealogical cul de sac here.

D
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

This is one reason I couldnt get into AA. It made me a little uncomfortable. I am not atheist, agnostic, but I still felt a little out of place.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR TwoHundred
There are many recovery methods being used here - I hope you'll take a look around

D