Notices

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post

I can't imagine being able to pray to it or to turn my will and my life over to it, though. If someone else can and does, though, I wouldn't consider them atheist.
Agreed.

Thanx for the stimulating discussion. So then, is atheism and an external locus of control, mutually exclusive? If so, then does the converse hold true?

Well forgive me, now I am going off on some crazy trajectory that may not be relevant, nor even logical, LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Mathematics is certainly extremely powerful when properly applied. Indeed, our entire modern technological civilization could not exist without it, so I can understand how many, like Augustin-Louis Cauchy, would see it as proof of the divine. I can't imagine being able to pray to it or to turn my will and my life over to it, though. If someone else can and does, though, I wouldn't consider them atheist.
My oldest son is atheist. He worships empiricism. My conception of God and his understanding of the Universe are, with very minor (mainly semantic) differences, the same. Laws of math and physics existed before they were discovered, right? So, where does the spark of inspiration come from that allowed humans to discover and apply them? He would offer one argument, and I would offer another.

But it doesn't matter, really. What we believe about the Universe, its creation and its function, doesn't change what is. As a person of faith, I believe that, with applied prayer and meditation, I can find a more harmonious path to walk -- while my son is more interested in the mechanics of the path itself.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Certainly, many alcoholics had "isms" (problems) prior to starting to drink, but those "isms" are not from their own alcoholism. The only ones "born" alcoholic are those whose mothers drank while they were in the womb, and who suffered some form of alcohol withdrawal after birth.
My mother didn't drink, and yet I pursued alcohol from my first few tastes. My parents attest to it. My first black-out drunk happened when I was six, hiding to drink a bottle of homemade wine. Getting violently ill, in trouble, and hating the taste didn't deter me in the least.

Originally Posted by AVRT
I've heard countless "shares" about vague discontentment and feeling different, with some even claiming that they were alcoholic at four years old, even though they started drinking at 17, but there are plenty of never-drinkers who felt the exact same way. I conclude that such pre-existing feelings are not caused by alcoholism, although they can certainly be exacerbated by it.
Oh, don't think alcoholism is much different than a lot of other disorders -- depression, bi-polar, BPD, etc. I've been diagnosed with several, and the solution to them has been the same one I apply to my alcoholism -- downsize my ego. The more pampered and entitled our society becomes, the more people we see suffering from these disorders. Discontentment, "how unfair the world is to me," "what I deserve," not knowing what I want but pretty sure what I have isn't it....and though I don't think religion (or a specific religion) is the answer, I feel pretty sure that atheism isn't, either.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
My mother didn't drink, and yet I pursued alcohol from my first few tastes. My parents attest to it. My first black-out drunk happened when I was six, hiding to drink a bottle of homemade wine. Getting violently ill, in trouble, and hating the taste didn't deter me in the least.
I started guzzling it down and got a nice whopper of a hangover the first time also, but if I hadn't started drinking in the first place, I never would have become dependent on it. Interestingly, not very long after I started drinking, the hangovers more or less disappeared, and for years I was able to drink with impunity, or so I thought, and I couldn't understand why others got hangovers. I used to tell myself that unlike me, they just didn't know how to drink. :-)

They came back with a vengeance at the end of my run, though...

I don't think religion (or a specific religion) is the answer, I feel pretty sure that atheism isn't, either.
Atheism isn't a solution to anything, it is just disbelief in the existence of God or any other deity (creator, intelligent designer, higher power with a will, etc). Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Laws of math and physics existed before they were discovered, right?
Yes.

So, where does the spark of inspiration come from that allowed humans to discover and apply them?
Why does there need to be a spark, and why does it need to come from somewhere other then one's own mind? Can humans not have "aha!" moments simply by observing and reflecting on the world around them?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Why does there need to be a spark, and why does it need to come from somewhere other then one's own mind? Can humans not have "aha!" moments simply by observing and reflecting on the world around them?
If the "aha!" comes from observing and reflecting on the external world, then it's not originating solely in one's own mind, is it?

Somewhere in our evolutionary development, we began to yearn for something beyond our needs for survival. Just living, eating, shitting, staying warm in the winter, and making more of ourselves wasn't enough. Nearly every culture has a mythology that explains how they came to be, why they're here, and some moral code to guide their actions (along with punitive measures for those who step out of line). We have music and literature and art. We have NASCAR and trampolines and subcultures who paint themselves with latex for sexual kicks. We have people who die for love.

I almost said that I don't believe that true atheism exists -- that it's just a matter of degree how willing a person is to see what's right in front of us all. But I think, instead, what I have a hard time believing is that anyone can live, or desires to live, with the idea that all this is random, that we're random, and that some little blip in the chaos spit us out, and everything we've built is no big deal. The evidence I see in the world tells me that we've always been reaching for something just beyond our ability to comprehend it. We know it's there, and we build up these mythologies and indulge in these ecstasies to try to honor it or explain it. We need Meaning and Purpose. I don't believe in any One, True Religion because I can't comprehend our human filters as capable of Receiving perfectly -- but I think they all contain a spark, if you will, of what's really there.

Anyway...

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I almost said that I don't believe that true atheism exists -- that it's just a matter of degree how willing a person is to see what's right in front of us all.
You wouldn't be the first to believe that, or to say it. That is essentially the premise of "We Agnostics," though few will readily admit it, certainly not when recommending it to an atheist. Although I have not read it, if I had to venture to guess, I would say that Marya Hornbacher's new book is probably her version of a story from "Came to Believe."

But I think, instead, what I have a hard time believing is that anyone can live, or desires to live, with the idea that all this is random, that we're random, and that some little blip in the chaos spit us out, and everything we've built is no big deal.
I suspect that many atheists might wonder the same thing about those who are theist. If you study cultural anthropology, there is the concept of world-view, which is essentially the lens through which they view the nature of reality, and colors how they view the rest of the world. Two people with different world-views will often reach very different conclusions given the exact same facts, simply because their filter is very different.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I am also atheist and this has been one of my biggest issues with support groups. Instead of tackling issues directly and instead of looking at the reasons why people are the way they are in an objective way, they put things to chance instead of targeting things directly. When people say "your higher power can be anything. It could be a doorknob if you want it too" yet AA relies entirely on this higher power. The first 10 steps almost have entirely to do with putting your faith in a higher power. It's hard to take AA seriously if you are not a religious person.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

OTT, a lot of people who go to AA, it seems, do not actually use the 12-Steps, particularly if they say that they use the group as a higher power. Your perspective as a long-time (15 years?) former AA member in a group that actually focused on the 12 Steps, is not likely to correlate with the experience of those who just go for social support. You are looking at the locus of control issue as it relates to the 12 Steps and they are not.
You make a good point: I am talking about actually working a program, whereas others are talking about getting social support at an AA meeting--very different.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I remember lectures in "treatment" on the disease of alcoholism, which was defined as primary, and then they would pull a bait-and-switch on me and propose a cure that took the exact opposite view, where alcoholism was secondary (a symptom).

That said, what you believe in appears to be the psychological disease theory of alcoholism, whereby alcoholism is caused by underlying issues, which to me, differs little in substance from the traditional AA view.

You may have benefited from group support, and I won't debate that point, but most people (75%) recover without the use of an addiction support group.
Well, you seem to know more about alcoholism than I do and I'm intrigued by your statistics, namely that 75 percent of folks recover without the use of an addiction support group. It would be interesting to know where this data came from.
Anyway, I've been sober for 22 years plus. I may not know much about alcoholism, why I got sick or why I got into recovery, but that's not important to me. What's important to me is that I don't drink. And don't want to. That's what matters to me. I'll let all the experts continue to figure out why, if they can...

W.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Well, you seem to know more about alcoholism than I do and I'm intrigued by your statistics, namely that 75 percent of folks recover without the use of an addiction support group. It would be interesting to know where this data came from.
I'm glad you asked. It comes from NIAAA’s 2001–2002 National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC).
Hour-long lecture given by Mark L. Willenbring, MD, director of the division of treatment and recovery research at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA):
American Psychiatric Association: Alcoholism Isn't What it Used to be

(Video from the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting in 2009)
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks. I shall read this with interest!

W.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm glad you asked. It comes from NIAAA’s 2001–2002 National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC).
Hour-long lecture given by Mark L. Willenbring, MD, director of the division of treatment and recovery research at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA):
American Psychiatric Association: Alcoholism Isn't What it Used to be

(Video from the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting in 2009)
Avrt- A brief P.S. I have enjoyed and profited by Dr. Willenbring's excellent presentation. If I understand it correctly he asserts that persons having drinking problems fall into a wide range and that only a small percentage of these fall into the classification of the "falling down drunk", who has perhaps lost a spouse, a job, health, house, etc. (as in the old movies "Lost Weekend", "When a Man Loves a Woman", etc.). But, for this relatively small percentage of sufferers, he does not say that a significant number of these patients can recover without the help of some kind of group program, whether AA or something else, which enables them to have the help and advice of other alcoholics. Indeed, another highly respected physician, who has made an extensive study of the illness and updated that study a few years ago, has taken the position that some kind of group support statistically increases the chances of recovery for persons who are in this very severe and chronic stage. His findings, like Dr. Willenbring's, are easily accessible on the internet.
My conclusion is that treatment and prognosis should depend on the individual case. Persons in the relatively small percentage who have had severe and recurrent disasters, such as loss of job, home, family, problems with the law, have an increased chance of recovery by participation in a program which provides group support. That need not necessarily be AA. The primary benefit comes from fellowship with and help from other alcoholics.

W.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

My conclusion is that treatment and prognosis should depend on the individual case. Persons in the relatively small percentage who have had severe and recurrent disasters, such as loss of job, home, family, problems with the law, have an increased chance of recovery by participation in a program which provides group support. That need not necessarily be AA. The primary benefit comes from fellowship with and help from other alcoholics.
I think this is indeed what Dr. Willenbring asserts--that at the more extreme end of the spectrum, social support (not necessarily AA) can be helpful. Sadly, though, the US treatment delivery system continues to treat all levels of severity the same way, and to require AA to the exclusion of non-faith-based support groups.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

No one has ever surveyed me. Why is that? If they had their statistics would be different.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Her message represented a possibility of acceptance at an AA meeting. A chance not to have to lie or hide.
I agree with this, and a chance not to have to lie or hide is exactly what most folks starting out in AA want so badly. As I said before, I think it's great that the author had such a good experience with others in the program that were open to listening and to actually following the principles that look so good on paper. That is as it should be. As with many ideas that look good on paper though, execution of those ideas can be a bit trickier. I have attended many (maybe 150 give or take a few) AA meetings of varying formats and in 3different cities. Based solely on my personal experience, people can become outwardly aggressive when someone shares something that they view as challenging the program in any way, even if that is not what the speaker intended. Sharing that you are an aethist would NOT be well recieved. I do not think that telling someone to "shut up and sit down" or "you're going to relapse" yada yada yada is any way going to enrich one's spiritual experience. I have seen people coming in off the streets where they have been living, sharing their pain, then being chastised (in front of the entire group) just for using profanity(?!) Way to completely miss the point. I do not like to see further suffering inflicted on an already broken soul. This bothers me on such a level it's difficult to put into words.

I know some may say "That's not real AA", "it's not supposed to be that way", "just a bad group", etc....fact is...it happens and unfortunately somewhat frequently. When a group is as the author describes, it could have the power to be something extremely useful. But, imo, the very design of the program not does allow for a free exchange of ideas. That environment is challenging for me because I am always pondering...questioning...I grow most when I open my mind. It's how I'm made. I was that kid in school that was like "What do you mean Colombus discovered America??? There were already people living there. I call b&llsh&t!!" So, you see people like me can sometimes squirm in the folding chairs of the church basement

That said, I think there is some inherent value in the 12 steps, albiet as already stated by other posters, pretty difficult to apply if you are a non- believer. As for fellowship and group support...it's very important in my recovery, but it certainly doesn't have to be solely a group of other alcoholics/addicts that can help me in recovery. It can be the book club that I attend. It can be the yoga group I exercise with. It can be the couple of friends I take nightly walks with. It can be a group of co-workers gathering for the cancer walk. It can be going with friends to listen to a band. These group activities have nothing to do with alcoholism but they help me the most in my recovery from addiction. Any group of cool people living life and being fairly happy works for me. When it is a group of unhappy people not living life, um...well it stands to reason that could cause a relapse But I actually go against the majority on this point...I love AA coffee!!

None of my opinions here are intended as a cut on AA. There was a point in time I got something useful from AA, then there was a point in time that I didn't. The pain of addiction is unbearble and I am deeply joyous when any fellow sufferer finds their way out of the darkness...any way they can do that.

wow...this got long lol whoops

Last edited by soberlicious; 09-01-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: omitted the word "not" in orginal post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yes. Several things seem to be apparent. "Alcoholism" so called may be a name which relates not to a single "disease" or "illness" but to a family of related afflictions having different degrees of severity, differing etiology and differing prognosis. The classic stereotype of the "hopeless drunk" is clearly outmoded. AA is not the answer for everyone. But this does not mean that it cannot be extremely helpful, if adjusted to the needs of the individual. Other programs are available and are helpful too. Group support and participation may be particularly helpful in some cases. Although some persons may be able to drink "moderately", anything other than complete abstinence may present enormous risks for others. It is sad but true that, considering the extreme dangers posed by alcoholism and other addictions, each person must seek out the best treatment for his or her particular case. There is no one single answer for everyone.

W.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by wpainterw
each person must seek out the best treatment for his or her particular case.
I believe this is crucial...

I also believe it is not typically supported.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Avrt- A brief P.S. I have enjoyed and profited by Dr. Willenbring's excellent presentation. If I understand it correctly he asserts that persons having drinking problems fall into a wide range and that only a small percentage of these fall into the classification of the "falling down drunk", who has perhaps lost a spouse, a job, health, house, etc. (as in the old movies "Lost Weekend", "When a Man Loves a Woman", etc.).
This is correct, not all fall into that latter category.

But, for this relatively small percentage of sufferers, he does not say that a significant number of these patients can recover without the help of some kind of group program, whether AA or something else, which enables them to have the help and advice of other alcoholics. Indeed, another highly respected physician, who has made an extensive study of the illness and updated that study a few years ago, has taken the position that some kind of group support statistically increases the chances of recovery for persons who are in this very severe and chronic stage. His findings, like Dr. Willenbring's, are easily accessible on the internet.
That's quite different from what you said - "recovery is best achieved by most persons in a group setting" - a slightly milder variation of "nobody can do it alone," when the reality is that some can't do it alone. The majority do, however. They always have, and they always will.

Some may benefit from group support, but I don't think that has anything to do with how "bad" they are, it has to do with their temperament. I myself lost a job, a residence, and bunch of other things that I would rather not mention. I looked like one of those people on "intervention," and yet, I am hindered by groupism.

I remember rolling into AA, and they wanted me to "share," and I said "I'm not sharing anything." This old-timer came up to me later, and I again told him that I had no interest in sharing about my "issues," and that I just needed to know how to quit. He said "**** that sharing. Read this, call me if you have any questions," and he handed me a copy of the "Big Book" and the "12x12." Interestingly, at the time, I found his approach far more palatable.

So, for those who benefit from sitting around talking about their issues, good for them, but the notion that "most" people need recovery groups to quit is categorically false. Since this is an AA thread, I'll just mention that it is perfectly possible to recover using the "program" of AA without ever setting foot in a single meeting. This isn't touted much these days, but Bill Wilson used to brag about people who did just that.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Sugah
I almost said that I don't believe that true atheism exists -- that it's just a matter of degree how willing a person is to see what's right in front of us all. But I think, instead, what I have a hard time believing is that anyone can live, or desires to live, with the idea that all this is random, that we're random, and that some little blip in the chaos spit us out, and everything we've built is no big deal.
Irresistible, I have a deep desire to respond as an atheist. Yes random happenstance is more plausible than any supported argument of the contrary I have ever heard or read. I find it hard to believe anyone can live with the idea that, what I find as the 'yet to be discovered' is filled in with what...baseless conjecture...superstition...imagination...non-factional mind play.

There is a divide between the believers and me as an atheist that...as it has been for ages...will never close. I see faith in the unseen as weak minded and the opposite seems to ring true as they look upon me...the heathen.

I purpose a truce. One can lessen the outward contempt of apposing views by watering down ones blistering language. Not likely to happen...but its an idea.