Notices

My Faithlessness: The atheist way through AA

Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, I've had counselors explain that each step represents a principle. The first is Surrender - to the way we have been thinking/behaving. The second is Hope - in a new way that will bring peace....etc. It appears very logical when viewed that way. A series of actions that precipitates a core change. You can research it, I'm sure, and find the general principles behind each step. Best wishes!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ranger,
Thanks so much for posting. Although I am not an atheist I am absolutely non-religious and follow no book from any part of the world, but have read them for the wisdom they can contain and do. Also being very much at cause rather than at effect in my life, I felt the same in the end as the author. Thanks to AA and here, apart from my Docs, counselors, and friends and family support group, I am sober and almost a year into my new life. Many others here have done the same, and for those in doubt, or failing then try something new. Not in place of, but in addition to.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by ADaisyifyoudo View Post
I am wondering, is anyone aware of any studies or clinical analyses of what's behind each of the steps from a psychological standpoint, e.g., why they work? Is it possible to get benefit from the other steps of AA even if you don't believe that you require a higher power to help you recover?
I have read numerous analyses of why AA works. There is really no consensus on it. Some conclude that it is the social support, others the spirituality, still others say it is nothing more than a substitute addiction or that it does not work at all but is simply a gathering place for those who would have quit anyway.

My feeling is that AA works for the people it works for. If you like AA and feel comfortable there, then go, and try to get whatever you can from it--"take what you need and leave the rest".

Perhaps, with a strong internal locus or control, all you are able to "take" is the social support. Some SMART Recovery members, for example, will go to AA meetings purely for the social support and use the SMART Recovery tools rather than the steps. The SMART Recovery tools do not involve a higher power; the focus instead is empowerment and the development of healthier thinking and behaviors.

One thing is very clear: the sobriety pathway that works for any one individual is one that suits them, one that they will follow. One size does not fit all.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Its always refreshing to see the perspective of others in AA like myself. I may not believe in God, I can have a secular understanding of a HP (Helping People in AA) never the less.

I'll look forward to reading the book. Thanks of the post Ranger.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks

Funny, I caught that story on CNN yesterday and that's what prompted me to come back here. I wanted to have a conversation about it but if you've ever tried talking religion or recovery on CNN's site you'd know that it's unpossible. I just wound up trolling.

That said I think articles like this one would have helped me a lot when I first entered the rooms.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I think that the fit of AA for a particular individual really has little to do with religiosity vs. atheism.

AA is clearly based on the idea that the individual is powerless over alcohol and that the power to recover comes from an external force. This idea works well for people who have what psychologists call an external locus of control--who tend to attribute the outcome of events to external circumstances. The philosophy of AA makes sense to such people.

Other people, though, have an internal locus of control--they tend to attribute the outcome of events to their own actions. Such individuals will naturally have a tough time integrating their experience of the world into the AA philosophy.

Locus of control is a separate issue from spirituality. An atheist can have a primarily external locus, and a religious person can have a primarily internal one.

So, an atheist who has an external locus can fit into AA, but it doesn't have a whole lot to do with spirituality, it has to do with the fact that the AA viewpoint makes sense to the person.

It follows, though, that those with an internal locus will probably not do well in AA, because, regardless of their spiritual views, the idea that recovery comes from an outside force or entity will simply not make sense to them.
But is not the plight of the alcoholic, whether that person has an external locus or internal locus of control, that he or she may believe that "I can do it alone! Let me be! I can quit if I need to!" What I am suggesting is that alcoholism by its very nature is likely to be the result of an egotistical belief that "I'm in charge of this situation. I don't need any help! Let me alone!" This is likely to be so whether a person is an atheist, an agnostic or a believer. And whether or not this attitude "causes" alcoholism, it is likely that it results from it because of the addicted body's control over the mind.
May I suggest then, that, at least based on my own personal experience (and if I have to I would say that I have more of an internal locus of control than an external one), I started a real recovery only when I was willing to admit that I didn't have all the answers, that I was not in "control" of the situation and that I needed help, in this case from the group of other recovering alcoholics. I found excessive references to "God", constant reciting of the Lord's Prayer,etc. somewhat presumptuous but I went along with it because I felt that the others in the room should be respected and I was grateful for their help in my situation. I owed so much to the group. That was my higher power.
So, having started with an "internal locus of control" I got better by realizing that I needed the experience and guidance of others. They gave me that and the least I could do was to be tolerant and understanding if they talked about "God".

W.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I have no problem with the ideas in the article -- but I do wonder how she reconciles publishing under her full name with the 11th tradition.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I have no problem with the ideas in the article -- but I do wonder how she reconciles publishing under her full name with the 11th tradition.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
She wouldn't be able to sell her book otherwise :p

May be another topic but can't we out ourselves? I have.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

AA isn't understood, it's lived by hard work. All beliefs are a accepted at the meetings I've attended.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by SOBARweasel View Post
She wouldn't be able to sell her book otherwise :p

May be another topic but can't we out ourselves? I have.
Sure, she could. Dick B. has published quite a few of books without using his last name. Several Hazeldon has books are published by AA members, and often, the author is listed as "Anonymous." The publisher, the editor, and the accounting department knowing an author's name isn't a violation of traditions. It's when we connect our full names with the program of Alcoholics Anonymous that we are drifting away from the beloved principle of humility. Can we out ourselves? I do it all the time -- just not at the level of press, radio, film, or public digital communications. I've spoken at events where cameras were present, and then, I did not directly reference my involvement with AA. I've been interviewed for newspaper articles, and I've asked that my last name not be used. I have an online presence, but I've taken care to separate my AA life from my professional life. I've written a book that deals very much with my sobriety, and those in the rooms or familiar with the program will recognize my path to sobriety, but I don't once mention AA, a sponsor, or life, verbatim, the language of the steps. Peace & Love, Sugah
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One day I was sitting in the living room with my sister, I had to been about 13. Maybe 14. My Dad came into the living room looking like he wanted to say something. He got down onto his knees by the coffee table & started fiddling around with the corner of it. He looked up at us and finally asked, "Can you have morals without God?"
Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"The narcissist is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. Narcissistic personality disorder is closely linked to self-centeredness."
Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sugah:
Betty Ford was much admired for "outing" herself, if as I gather, you meant a person disclosing their real name. I have never understood that AA frowns upon persons disclosing their identity as alcoholics if they choose to do so. Anonymity is then merely a choice which is available to persons if they choose that. Many persons have published under their own names. See, for example, the two fine books by the late Caroline Knapp. If someone wishes to disclose his or her name then why should he be required to remain anonymous in order to participate in AA? Anonymity, like a legal privilege, should belong to the person for whom it is intended and, like a privilege, can be waived if that person so desires. We have always known Bill W. was '"Bill Wilson".

W.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
One day I was sitting in the living room with my sister, I had to been about 13. Maybe 14. My Dad came into the living room looking like he wanted to say something. He got down onto his knees by the coffee table & started fiddling around with the corner of it. He looked up at us and finally asked, "Can you have morals without God?"

Of course you can.

I found the article, and her perspective, very interesting.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

*I "outed" myself on-line using a screen name just like here but I got called on the 11th because I mentioned my program in AA.

I understand the point that if I say AA is what keeps me sober and then I go out people can say "Look, AA didn't work for him" but just saying I'm a recovering alcoholic and I go to AA meetings shouldn't be a bad thing.*

Sorry, back on topic...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Curious that he concludes we are flawed. True, humans are a mixed bag of traits to be sure, but merely to dwell on the negative, 'flawed' part strikes me as one-sided, while ignoring the more positive aspects, such as hope, joy, creativity, experiencing beauty and the arts, helping others, and so much else about us that is good. For many people who do not have a great sense of self esteem, the 'flawed' label is not at all helpful.

The term 'flawed' reminds me too much of the whole 'original sin' concept. We are neither 'flawed' nor 'perfect'; we simply are, and might be better to affirm that, as opposed to dwell on some far off ideal.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Spirituality has never been satisfactorily defined.
If it makes sense, it ain't spiritual.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
still others say it is nothing more than a substitute addiction or that it does not work at all but is simply a gathering place for those who would have quit anyway.
I've wondered this myself. Am I just someone who would have quit anyway? I was simply fed up and determined. I had my mind made up and followed through. I'm enjoying SR for a number of reasons...but I'm sure I would have quit without it. Or maybe not...

If you choose sobriety vs being forced by the courts or your spouse etc. I imagine you would be more successful. So maybe AA and other supports are the gifts that come along with that choice?

Did sobriety choose you?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
But is not the plight of the alcoholic, whether that person has an external locus or internal locus of control, that he or she may believe that "I can do it alone! Let me be! I can quit if I need to!" What I am suggesting is that alcoholism by its very nature is likely to be the result of an egotistical belief that "I'm in charge of this situation. I don't need any help! Let me alone!"

<snip>

I started a real recovery only when I was willing to admit that I didn't have all the answers, that I was not in "control" of the situation and that I needed help...

<snip>

...having started with an "internal locus of control" I got better by realizing that I needed the experience and guidance of others.
Sorry for chopping-up your excellent post, Painter. But, in the spirit of recent posts I just wanted to "out" myself as a fellow recovering isolationist.

Like many analyticals (chemical engineer, here), I brought fierce independence and a strong internal LOC into my alcoholism. Now, one year and 364 days removed from my last drink, I can attest to the importance of escaping the island my nature/nurture created and my alcoholism made far more remote.

My recovery journey includes accepting I do not have all the answers and embracing the fact I still need role models. Ironically, I've found this to be one of the most empowering aspects of my sobriety. Nowadays I find joy in being comfortable with the idea that if I want to be <sober, skinny, kind, etc.> then I need to do what <sober, skinny, kind, etc.> people do.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mindfulness

D