Notices

I need help

Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Please lock my girlfriend up!
I need someone to take charge of the situation. My girlfriend is a chronic alcoholic, and cannot stop drinking. Please, someone come over and lock her up for several weeks, and teach her how to be abstinent.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OK, I read that, and I guess you may not "get it". She is such a caring and kind person, and has lost three children in the past, so I guess she has reason to have addiction issues. Also, her only living child was just removed from the UK by her ex, who has far worse addiction problems than she does, but Social Services seem to see this as "another case off their books".
My heart is breaking, likewise my girlfriend's - her response is to just drink stupidly. And I just don't know where to turn. Oh God, please help us.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Duggie,
Welcome to the forums! I can't lock someone up, but being friend or family member of an alcoholic is tough and sometimes can't work out. We have an entire forum for friends and families of alcoholics here:
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Also see if you have any local Alanon meetings if you need to talk to someone right away. I am an alcoholic who has been sober a long time. But before, when I was drinking heavy no amount of locking me up or intervention could have any effect on becoming sober until I made that decision for myself. I hope it is not too late for your girlfriend, or your relationship. We have a lot of UK members here.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your concern - I am locking myself away from the juice - but thanks all - long holiday weekend anyway - will be good next week and the week aftewr and the week after that ! Can never bring the kiddlles back - but it wasn'nt or my drinking's fault. Crap things happen in life sometimes.

Deeble
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was my girlfriend posting. Yes she's in denial I WISH it could be the next three weeks.
I'm new to this forum, and here I find some hope. My wish is that you'll make some good comments, so we can take this somewhere.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Duggie

Welcome

I'm really sorry for your situation - I know the feeling of wanting to do something, to save them, yet feeling powerless to act.

I hope your gf will find her way into recovery, but that has to be her decision, not yours or mine - that's the really rough lesson of addiction.

I really hope you will look at our family and friends forums and perhaps check out AlAnon - get yourself as much support as you can Duggie.

D
Old 08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Deeble

Welcome to you too
Probably best if you sign up under your own name, yeah? it'll be less confusing that way

D
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duggie View Post
OK, I read that, and I guess you may not "get it". She is such a caring and kind person, and has lost three children in the past, so I guess she has reason to have addiction issues. Also, her only living child was just removed from the UK by her ex, who has far worse addiction problems than she does, but Social Services seem to see this as "another case off their books".
My heart is breaking, likewise my girlfriend's - her response is to just drink stupidly. And I just don't know where to turn. Oh God, please help us.

Well calling on God is your best bet for help my friend. I have called out to Jesus so many times, He always came to my rescue, and would give me peace, and help in the time of trouble. He has helped me to overcome my alcohol problem, and smoking. I am alcohol and smoke free, and I owe my thanks to God alone. He helps me to deal with stress and when I'm discouraged He always lifts me back up. I would be dead now if it wasn't for my best friend..Jesus.. He's my everything, and I don't ever want to live my life without Him in it. May the Lord help you and your girlfriend..it won't hurt to give it a try! I hope you all the best my friend. God bless you..
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

An alcoholic must want to stop.

She can go to a detox or rehab, when she wants to stop. You can go to alanon any time.

Best wishes for both of you.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can both find peace in your lives.

Deeble, do join the message boards and get support from us for your recovery.