SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcoholic sunflower! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/235226-alcoholic-sunflower.html)

saphira 08-28-2011 05:37 AM

Alcoholic sunflower!

Good morning everybody!!

Well, my first day sober back at the end of May, my son and I planted sunflower seeds in our garden. He really wanted to, and I thought maybe it could be sort of a symbol for me. So we planted about six sunflower seeds. Took care of them-- watered them and did a little weeding so they would have room to grow. This morning I woke up (sober!!) and looked out my window. There is one big beautiful blooming sunflower out there!! Of course I could see it growing these past few months, but as of yesterday it was just the stalk growing and growing-- up to about 12 feet high.

But this morning is the first morning that I saw the bloom on it. Beautiful! I don't know if any of you have watched a sunflower grow but there's something really cool about how even when it's really tall, it turns to face the sun so that it can get the sun's rays. Everyday I would see the leaves shift and couldn't help but think it's a great reminder for myself. Take good care of myself, and continue to seek out whatever I need to keep growing-- even if I have to turn myself backwards to do it. :) Just like a sunflower.

Zencat 08-28-2011 05:55 AM

Nothing like noticing ones growth. Sure tells me that its my nature to progress once alcohol/drugs are removed.
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p.../sunflower.jpg
Well done on your wellness journey...keep turning towards the sun http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/s...edene/g015.gif .

Fandy 08-28-2011 05:58 AM

I just lost my huge sunflowers in last night's hurricane, they were completely uprooted by the storm...but they can be replanted after all this stops.

lovely ananogy.....buy another packet of seeds they are about $1.00 and should bloom through the end of Sept/oct. depending on your weather.

soberlicious 08-28-2011 06:28 AM

Saphira...beautiful post. This will stay with me all day :)

Anna 08-28-2011 06:48 AM

I love Sunflowers, Saphira.

That's such an uplifting message.

ajangel 08-28-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by saphira (Post 3086270)
Good morning everybody!!

Well, my first day sober back at the end of May, my son and I planted sunflower seeds in our garden. He really wanted to, and I thought maybe it could be sort of a symbol for me. So we planted about six sunflower seeds. Took care of them-- watered them and did a little weeding so they would have room to grow. This morning I woke up (sober!!) and looked out my window. There is one big beautiful blooming sunflower out there!! Of course I could see it growing these past few months, but as of yesterday it was just the stalk growing and growing-- up to about 12 feet high.

But this morning is the first morning that I saw the bloom on it. Beautiful! I don't know if any of you have watched a sunflower grow but there's something really cool about how even when it's really tall, it turns to face the sun so that it can get the sun's rays. Everyday I would see the leaves shift and couldn't help but think it's a great reminder for myself. Take good care of myself, and continue to seek out whatever I need to keep growing-- even if I have to turn myself backwards to do it. :) Just like a sunflower.

I love sunflowers. Nice post

Opivotal 08-28-2011 07:05 AM

Beautiful post Saphira!

Best Wishes To You!

Sneezy 08-28-2011 07:10 AM

Thank you, Saphira - your post put a big smile on my face :)

Now I'm going to have to plant some sunflowers!

1undone 08-28-2011 07:40 AM

Very sweet! I love it!

artsoul 08-28-2011 10:28 AM

Great story! How wonderful to be able to find joy in the little things again...... Bloom on!

Mark75 08-28-2011 11:06 AM

I love sunflowers too, Irene blew all ours down as well.

Carla77 08-28-2011 12:12 PM

Wonderful story! :tyou (Great image for my mind to chew on today!)

Carla

Freedom1990 08-28-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 3086321)
I love Sunflowers, Saphira.

That's such an uplifting message.

Indeed it is!

Itchy 08-28-2011 01:24 PM

Thank you so much for that afternoon delight of the platonic nature.

Dee74 08-28-2011 01:37 PM

put me down as another sunflower fan.
thanks for the post Saphira :)

D

aussieblue 08-28-2011 03:56 PM

Great , happy post saphira .

LaFemme 08-28-2011 04:08 PM

Love this! Thanks!

Hevyn 08-28-2011 05:01 PM

Thanks Saphira - very uplifting. I love them too, but mine only got to 9'. :)

CaiHong 08-28-2011 05:15 PM

I am inspired, Sneezy I am going to plant some sunflowers. It is very humid and hot here though.
CaiHong

Fallow 08-29-2011 06:00 AM

This is a great idea I really love this! Good for you