Notices

Dealing with "office parties" and work drinking situations.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with "office parties" and work drinking situations.

Hello Friends!

One thing that comes up for me and I am sure all of us probably is being around people in work related situations (Meetings, events etc.) where drinking is going on.

Sometimes I find it tough to be the only one not "boozing" and having a iced tea, diet coke etc. In the first few minutes of watching people boozing, I get those thoughts like I am "Missing out" but then I remember why I stopped drinking, I remember that those artificial smiles turn to tears for me in just a short while. That those smiles turn to headaches and depression and DUI's. I know that I will wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed and not hung over. I will have more money in my pocket, more freedom not trying to decipher what I may have done the night before. No more wondering how I may have even made it home or ended up somewhere I did not want to be.

My friend always told me the mind likes to think about the now, we have to sometimes train it to see the "bigger picture" When we feel a crave the mind is thinking of the Now, but if I think about the Later, the hangovers, the DUI's, the bad situations, the loss of money, the feeling sorry for saying something stupid, the fights, the drama. All the downsides that come along with having "Just one" drink. When I think about that at a work event it makes it much more easier for me to say no thanks, I am drinking Diet Coke or Pepsi, without having to feel like I am "Missing out" In fact I am gaining a million times more things then I am "missing out" on. I am finally not missing out on life, which is what was truly happening while drinking and using. Life was flashing by before me and I do not remember any of it, except picking up the pieces.

When I first stopped drinking and heard so many other peoples drinking "war" stories. I thought, geez I don't feel like I had a drinking problem compared to all these other people, my good friend and Mentor then told me, "YET" you did not have the same story as some of those old timers yet! Just give it some more time. How right he was. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, each year it gets a bit worse and worse. If we are lucky enough to be here sharing with each other today we need to hold onto sobriety tightly because if we go back to using, who knows if and when we will ever get to make it back here. Some people are fortunate to get second chances, many unfortunately are not.

Anyways, thanks for letting me share today.
I appreciate this forum and I appreciate everyone here sharing there stories.
It may not be "Easy" but it is certainly worth it in the long run (and in the short run too )

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I took time out from all alcohol centered social events when I got sober - it was a good move for me.

When I did 'rejoin the world' I knew who I wanted to be and the central tenet of the new me was staying sober.

But as to dealing with the parties...although this link is specifically for Thanksgiving there are a lot of good suggestions here for dealing with social occasions

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

The disease progresses whether we drnk or not. When others drink, I watch their inappropriate actions and I feel great gratitude.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was at a networking event last night. Towards the end I got cornered by a lovely woman who had too much to drink. She wouldn't let me leave and all I could think was "this used to be me!"

So glad that I'm not one of the people using the storm to get sloshed. Apparently in NYC the lines at the liquor stores were longer than anywhere else!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did u ever really look around? There were non drinkers there. Or someone will have one and then stop. I know that is incomprehensible to us. Some people can actually go out and do this. They may have a glass or two and just stop. We can not do this.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was working near the White House in a cocktail lounge... a new customer arrived quite early and said.....

"I'm going to be entertained and hosting here as a rep of the President.
I'll order beefeaters on the rocks with Lemon....charge that price....then
bring me water with Lemon. I want to remain alert at all times"

I thought that was a very cool way to deal with the situation...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

I love the next morning waking up well rested, no hangover, no regrets.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Isn't great to wake the next morning without trying to piece together the night before. I will never get tired with that.

As Amy mentioned there are always non drinkers at socials or one drink per nighters, you just have to look to your right or left. When I was drinking I always gravitated toward the big drinkers and made insta friends. Pathetic in retrospect. As far as work related parties which are the last places anyone should be exercising their elbow, I did that too and felt nothing but deep regret and remorse the next day. Sooo not worth it, so glad I don't do it anymore and never will again. I'm done and no longer feel I'm missing out...on the misery it always brings.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do find that having a Iced Tea or something to hold and be able to socialize with others really helps. There are many of us who work in environments were drinking is a part of the work environment (Such as Corporate Events, Trade Shows, Film Business, certain business lunch meetings, etc.) Learning how to deal with these environments is a part of recovery since it is a day to day reality for us. The other day the office had a function and Alcohol was served. One of the people ended up getting fired since he made a seriously inappropriate comment to someone while he was inebriated. It was not the first time for him either. So now this person lost his livelihood over alcohol.

I know that person could easily have been me had I not stopped drinking and gotten involved in recovery. I am so blessed that I can talk to you today and tell you that I am clean and sober and do not have to worry about blackouts, DUI's, fights etc. As long as I don't have another drink. As long as I stay sober I can achieve so much.

Thanks for letting me share.