Notices

Not sure how this works

Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how this works

Im new here and not really sure how to start but here it goes. Im an alcoholic. Feels really weird saying that. Just got laid off from my job a week ago and went on a bit of a bender. I feel like I have nothing going for me and was wondering if anyone here had a bit of advice for me. I feel like the only thing that would make me happy is a drink. This seems like a good place to ask for help as I am to ashamed to go to my friends for help. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Stop drinking. See a doctor and get a medical opinion. That simple.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I too am an alcoholic and had my job terminated, not to mention my marraige etc. I too went on a bender, actually for many months. However, I came to realize that while numbing me and crippling my emotions and reactions, it certainly didn't bring me happiness (or my job or wife back). To day I am sober and still without the things from the past, but I stand, not stagger, on my own two feet. I don'tknow if happy is the right word to describe me but I do have my dignity and self-worth back and don't regret a moment of giving the booze up. My best to you. PS. I think alcoholic drinking is about shame I don't think recovery should be. Reach out for support, we all need it.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Seeing all the supportive people on this site is amazing. Thanks for sharing that with me Fritz. Coming upon this site is probably the best thing that's happened to me in awhile.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Post! You've come to a very supportive community. We understand and relate. We've lost jobs, relationships, and everything in between. The one thing I can say with certainty is drinking excessively will add to any problem you have.

Today is a new day, put the alcohol down and keep a clear head. I'm glad you joined us. There is nothing to be ashamed about. You can quit drinking with support and determination to move forward in your life. Have you thought of getting some support...like AA, Smart, or counseling ? I don't know how much you were drinking, but a visit with your Doctor might be a good idea. You can do this with your head held high.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Losing your job is rough stuff to deal with. I'm sorry to hear you've been laid off. I still have a job--knocks on wood--but all our hours have been cut, and nobody has had a pay raise in years. These are tough times, but I'll admit that my situation sounds pretty sweet compared to yours. Being unemployed doesn't make you a bad person or a loser or any nonsense like that, but it's very easy to feel like it when there isn't much going on.

I hope you're able to stay off the booze. It might seem like it'll make everything better, but when you reach a certain point in your drinking career, it only makes things a hell of a lot worse. My advice--which is essentially worthless because I'm hardly an expert on this--is to just try your hardest to avoid actually drinking the stuff. One thing that helps is to avoid watching the evening news at all costs--that made me want to drink MORE. I've been able to beat (or at least forget about) a craving by watching benign programming on the home and garden channel.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I'm sorry about your job, but I'm so happy you came to SR. This site saved my life... it gave me support when I couldn't find it elsewhere. I know how you feel about feeling like you have nothing going for you, but the drinking is probably making everything worse for you. I have never felt so depressed than I did during my drinking days. It only adds to your troubles, and I hope you can shake it for good!
I was so scared when I decided to head towards sobriety, but honestly it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I could never see how much the alcohol was affecting me until there was some distance from it. Now I can't believe I spent so many years that way.
I wish you the best and encourage you to keep reading and posting!! So much helpful advice on SR.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Post! I lost everything to my drinking habits, too. I had to start all over & live my life in a new way. I never dreamed I'd become totally dependent on it to get through the day - it was only supposed to be fun & relaxing.

I'm so glad you reached out to us - you'll be comforted knowing you aren't alone anymore. I didn't have anyone to turn to in my real life, because they were all social drinkers. No one understood what I was going through. Please keep talking to us - we care about you.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hello and welcome , you have already started the hardest part admitting you an alcholic.

I myself have had the loss of everything from relationship to job you name it .

This gift of soberity is just to cool to put in words

Keep on comin in and read and post .
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Post37DayXfer View Post
Just got laid off from my job a week ago and went on a bit of a bender. I feel like I have nothing going for me and was wondering if anyone here had a bit of advice for me. I feel like the only thing that would make me happy is a drink.
Stop drinking immediately, or you may find yourself on a very steep and fast downward slope. The worst thing to do after a layoff, with a lot of free time on your hands, is to drink. It will magnify your depression, anxiety, and self-loathing, and you may not come out unscathed. Someone gave me this exact same advice once, and I didn't listen, but I sure wish I had.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Post37DayXfer View Post

... I feel like the only thing that would make me happy is a drink. This seems like a good place to ask for help as I am to ashamed to go to my friends for help. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are as seriously addicted to alcohol as I was (mentally) and still am (physically). Then you will need a way to attract happiness back into your life.

For years I associated happiness with drinking and when I quit drinking, I felt like life was no longer worth living. This made staying stopped impossible for me because I was miserable with or without alcohol.

What I ended up having to do was get a whole new way of living. A.K.A. a Spiritual Solution that attracted peace of mind, joy and sense of purpose into my life.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

As you can see, there is lots of support here and we do understand.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Post37DayXfer
Welcome to SR - hope to see you around

D
Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would strongly suggest you quit drinking now before it causes loss or damage in your life (or someone else's life). I gave it up almost two years ago and don't miss it a bit. In fact, I'm happier and more content than I've been in quite a while... and it feels pretty damn good.

You might want to get medical help in getting thru the initial physical detox. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, be safe while detoxing.

to the family!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Really sorry to hear about your job. Use the free time to not only look for another job but to attend AA meetings and get support. The feeling of shame is absolutely awful but use that to do something about your drinking. It may be hard to believe at the moment but if you do follow the advice given so lovingly and freely on this forum, I promise you things will get better. But if you continue to drink I promise you things at best won't get better. There is a new life out there for you, ball is in your court.
CaiHong