Notices

Hi everyone, I guess this is this best place to start..

Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I guess this is this best place to start..

I've not had the chance to have a good look round this forum yet, but i should probably start with an introduction, My names Reece and i'm 21.. I've been drinking since i was 17, but this year has been really bad for me, I started drinking more than i should when my nan died a couple of years ago, and maybe drank every couple of days or so, 5 - 6 cans of beer etc.. Since the beginning of this year, when I broke up from a 3 year relationship, i can't recall a day I havn't drunk, I only drink beer, and it's between 5-7 cans a night.

I've been ignorant to the fact I drink everyday, and i think this is my biggest first step to sorting it out. I'm probably younger than alot on here(I've not had a look through the site like i said) But it's not been all that easy for me to get out of my ignorant state. Obviously at quite a young age, i don't want it to get to the point where I can't drink anymore, but I do want honest advice on what I should do, and how to go about it. I'm sure like everyone else who comes here, this isnt easy for me, but I feel like I at the very least need someone to talk to etc. Thanks for reading if you have, I can answer any questions and will aprreciate any advice from you guys, Thank You, Reece.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya ReeceSpurs :-)

I'm new too, and 22. I'm really sorry to hear about your nan and the ending of your relationship, that must be really tough. It's really brave of you to be here, it's a very hard to step to take. Have you spoken to any of your friends and family about this? Do they already know something isn't right? I hope you find the advice your looking for, and good luck with everything, keep us updated if you feel like it :-)
Old 08-27-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngun View Post
Hiya ReeceSpurs :-)

I'm new too, and 22. I'm really sorry to hear about your nan and the ending of your relationship, that must be really tough. It's really brave of you to be here, it's a very hard to step to take. Have you spoken to any of your friends and family about this? Do they already know something isn't right? I hope you find the advice your looking for, and good luck with everything, keep us updated if you feel like it :-)
Thanks mate, my reasons aren't any worse than anyone elses I suppose, everyone lose's family members and have bad break ups etc, don't mean to use that as an excuse, just that it contributing to me not caring how much i was drinking i guess.. Just want to sort it out now though. Havn't spoken to any friends about this, although my mum knows how much im drinking, I think she's scared to tell me to sort it out though because I left living with my mumwhen i was 15 to live with my dad and the reason was I was "old enough to make my own decisions/mistakes" Thats not important anyway now, I've got myself into this mess, need to get myself out of it.

I'm just not sure how to go about it, do I need to see my doctor? Do I need medication? Will it be dangerous to wean myself of drink?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome to SR hug

keep coming around
Old 08-27-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah it's hard work caring about stopping drinking when you're unhappy. It takes loads of motivation which is hard to muster up! I'm afraid I don't know the answers to those questions. I would definitely go to your doctor though and just explain what's going on and I'm sure they can give you help and advice. You're doing the right things, just keep at it :-)
Old 08-27-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankyou Like I said this is my first major step in realising the problem and dealing with it
Old 08-27-2011, 02:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No problem :-) I know how you feel. I don't drink everyday, I binge drink (beyond excess) over the weekend and it scares me how little control I have to stop drinking once I've started. Best of luck and if you ever wanna chat let me know :-)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Reece, thanks for posting and welcome. Like you, I started off drinking five to seven beers a night, but failed to do anything about it for years and years. Before I knew it, I was drinking two bottles of wine per day at home and often found myself at the bars after my wine ran out. From reading your post, it seems to me that you may be a problem drinker. It's better to take care of it now rather than later (like I did). I suggest posting here often and perhaps getting more support from a program like AA.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Reece --

Welcome to SR! I also started drinking about that amount. I'm 26 now and before I quit I ended up drinking a ton every day and completely unable to function in normal life. I wasn't able to moderate my drinking at all and later discovered I didn't really want to drink like a normal person.

Anyways, whatever you decide you will find a lot of support here.
Best wishes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Reesespurs! This website completely changed my life and got me sober for good-- it can do the same for you if that's what you choose.

I think it's great that you're realizing that your drinking is out of control at such a young age. I am relatively young, 30, and I wish that I had quit when I was in my 20s. Keep reading and posting-- and, again, welcome!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cheers for the replies so far guys, I'll certainly be coming in here more often, seems to be a great atmosphere and understanding between you all

Can anyone reccomend how to slowly come off such excessive drinking? I'd like to say its controlled, but I suppose everyone says that at first.. It doesnt stop me going to work, and I only drink in the evenings. I never wake up feeling like I need a drink or anything like that, I suppose it's become part of my everyday life at the moment, having 6 or so cans in the evening to relax etc.

Is it possible to wean myself off? Is it dangerous? Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Reece! So glad to have you here. It's great you are realizing you need to take action. At your age I was many years away from facing my alcoholism. I lost everything trying to use willpower to control it.

I didn't want to get to the point where I could never drink again either. I understand how you feel. You may find that you have no choice, though. I started out getting high on a can of beer, but my tolerance grew until no amount did the job. You may need to reconsider trying to manage it - it may not be possible. That's for you to decide, though. Meanwhile, welcome to our family - it's great to have you here.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Reece! It wouldn't hurt to talk to a doctor if you're drinking ever day. It's great that you're questioning your drinking. The healthy limit for alcohol is two drinks/day for guys and 1 for women, so you're definitely drinking to excess.

If you find that you can't stop (or can't limit yourself to a healthy amount consistently), you may find that you need to stop altogether. Keep reading and posting - we know what it's like......
Old 08-27-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

great advice here all round, but I strongly recommend you see a Dr - detox can be troubling for some of us Reece - even beer drinkers

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome! Sounds like you are not ready to say you truly have a problem with alcohol and you are here to find out. Many here have said it's not always how much you drink or the kind of alcohol you drink but rather what happens to you when you drink.

I can only tell you a out my experience. I began drinking at 16yrs. I knew right away it was going to be a problem. Since drinking is progressive - you need more and more for the "desired effect" (usually tryin g to forget or numb some pain). I started out with a few beers as a teen and that lasted until my mid 20s. As I got older and had stressful situations in my life I slowly progressed to a small bottle of wine most nights. By 38 I was drinking the big bottle of wine almost each night. Here I am, 43yrs old and I've had to end my drinking career because I couldn't recover like I used to and began having medical problems 3yrs ago. Obviously that did't stop me right away. So that's the progression for me.

Again, I can only tell you about me but the grief and loss over the hears and pain were my biggest reason to self medicate. Grief is a powerful emotion and needs to be understood and treated with care and respect. As others have said, a good talk with a doctor and maybe a grief and loss group might be better than beer!

I wish you all the best and in some way I hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry about the typos, I'm doing this from my phone
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about tapering... I never tried it because I knew it wouldn't work for me. Once I have anything alcoholic in my system, I can't stop, so weaning myself was a no-go for me. If you think it's worth a shot, go for it.

Like you, I only drank in the evenings and never had bad withdrawal symptoms the next day or anything. That's what kept me from realizing that I had a problem for so long. But alcohol was creating havoc in my life. I also learned from the brilliant people here that even though I wasn't to the "withdrawal stage" yet, if I kept drinking my day would come. I decided to quit, and I hope you do too.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and thanks for joining us...

I do think asking your doctor about how best to de tox is wise....and please be honest about both the ammount and years.....

As mentioned....you are 3 times over the limit by drinking 6 daily.