Notices

What's with alcoholism and the military?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's with alcoholism and the military?

Why does alcoholism appear to be so common among people in the military?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lot's of young men, living in close quarters, stressful jobs (lying one's life on the line), peer pressure... alternating with boredom, away from home... I know some military young men... they party quite hard... seems if a soldier has any propensity towards alcoholism at all, this would be the job to see it through.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am not sure if it is more prevalent in the military than other occupations. I also used to think it was more predominant there as well when I was married to a Marine but that changed when I was exposed to law enforcement and the medical field. But after being sober for a number of years it has been my experience that there is no predominant career field that produces alcoholics. Alcoholics come from all walks of life, all ages, both sexes, married/not married, religious/not religious, etc.... The sad fact of the matter is there are millions of us out there and unfortunately only a small number actually see long term sobriety.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Young soldiers act just like college kids would if they had bi weekly paychecks coming in with no bills to speak of. Most move on from the heavy drinking after they leave the military or get promoted to a rank where that kind of horsing around is frowned upon.