Notices

Wow! I can talk on the phone without slurring

Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow! I can talk on the phone without slurring

Each day I seem to discover or rediscover the little miracles of sobriety. Got a phone call tonight from a far away cousin and I was 1) awake and alert, 2) intelligible and cognizant and 3) I'll remember it happened and what was said. In the old daze family rarely called at night, just as I never called my dad at night when I was younger. it's nothing big I know,, but it's just one more small thing that's such a blessing. Oh, and I can even type this without closing one eye.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I remember waking up and looking at my phone log on my cell and seeing I had talked to several people the night before, but not remembering any bit of it. Or worse yet, waking up in someone else's bed and not remembering how I got there.

I don't miss that at all. I'm so happy to be sober.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, Fitz, this thread brings back some not-to-pleasant memories lol

Not only was I a pain in the arse with the phone, but I was a REPEATER. I'd say that same thing over and over and over. Stuck on stuck.

I still talk a lot today, but at least the conversation moves FORWARD.

And it really is nice living with both eyes open instead of looking like a one-eyed Jack from a deck of cards.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Each day I seem to discover or rediscover the little miracles of sobriety. Got a phone call tonight from a far away cousin and I was 1) awake and alert, 2) intelligible and cognizant and 3) I'll remember it happened and what was said. In the old daze family rarely called at night, just as I never called my dad at night when I was younger. it's nothing big I know,, but it's just one more small thing that's such a blessing. Oh, and I can even type this without closing one eye.
Ahhh . . .some not-so-fond (forgotten) memories on all fronts. And I thought I was the only one who stopped calling parents after 6pm!

Thanks MCF
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Wonderful, fitz!!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Nice! I was a drunk dialer as well. Oh, the great and eloquent philosophies I could slur!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Nice! I was a drunk dialer as well. Oh, the great and eloquent philosophies I could slur!
Embarrassing!!! LOL! I do not miss those either! And forgetting your eloquent philosophy half way through whether it be talking or typing with one eye open...
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh! I hate to even think about all the stupid drunk calls I had. It makes me sick to my stomach! I need to be at this site EVERY DAY! You all help me so much just by posting your thoughts.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey all, my problem now isn't tongue wag but tongue tied. Alcohol worked as a social armor, or amour, for me. Funny how after a few drinks or four I could be so sauve and funny and philosophical, and interesting, and intelligent, and romantic, and yadda, yadda, yadda. In sobriety I am back to the shy, introverted, somewhat insecure Michael (that sought alcohol as an ego booster in the first place. Trying to make friends, and God forbid a companionship, is like volunteering for a root canal by the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors. One of my recovery goals is to break down the self-isolation I have developed over the years--especially ironic concidering the isolation developed from my drinking to be more social. Maybe I should start by joining an online friendship site then work up to in person people? Recovery is just one damn thing after another.

"I think it's time to face yourself again. Then again, it is always time." Alan Watts (I think)
Old 08-26-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

MCF, I know what you mean about slurring on the phonecalls (and half the time not remembering ANYTHING)!

I would cringe when I would even check my text messages, and go "I said THAT?! How nasty!" I was NOT a fun drunk or funny one, I turned into a total and complete nasty person when I drank, and it wasn't pretty.

Funnily enough, so many people told me this over the years, from guys I dated, to my daughter's dad (my ex-h), my brother, my parents, my daughter. I never listened because afterall, I knew it all right? WRONG!!!

I don't miss that monster I turned into when drinking, I don't miss her at all. Normally I am a kind, big-hearted, sweet, caring person who truly cares about and has compassion for other people and loves to make others laugh. Not so when I was drinking, I hated everyone and everything and wouldn't have a problem shooting my big drunk mouth off about it'!

Sobriety is a gift in so many ways, this is just one of many, but it feels good to live in the moment every day, really FEEL an experience and build good memories!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

oh and to add quickly, I am also shy and insecure deep down inside and it's harder now to reach out, but it's so worth it!!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was on a drinking roll I wouldn't even answer the phone for days on end.

Now I usually pick it up by the second ring.