SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What have we learned? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/235005-what-have-we-learned.html)

725bygrace 08-25-2011 08:35 AM

What have we learned?

Today marks 1 month sobriety for me. I wrote something in my journal that I'd like to share and ask others what their answer would be...

?? Alcohol stripped me of my dignity and brought me to my knees but now that I've gotten back up, how have things changed? What have I learned??

"I am an alcoholic, but that doesn't define me. I am so much more!" 725bygrace

PaleMale 08-25-2011 08:45 AM

One of my favorite aphorisms comes to mind. "Nothing changes, if nothing changes."

So much has changed for me. I am still the same person, but I shine the light around inside my head VERY differently now. Instead of always finding monsters, I'm finding strengths.

Someone recently mentioned a journal exercise they stumbled upon. Take out a photo of yourself as a child, and write a letter to that child.

Thanks!

1undone 08-25-2011 12:14 PM

This will be a great thread to follow today! Thanks for starting it.

instant 08-25-2011 02:00 PM

At about 100 days I have learned that the miracle of recovery is possible but it doesn't happen by accident and has to be nurtured.

Dee74 08-25-2011 03:48 PM

Congratulations on your month 725 :)

D

recoverywfaith 08-25-2011 04:04 PM

:day1 Congrats...truly awesome!!

Itchy 08-25-2011 05:18 PM

How have things changed for me? I don't drink 24/7 any more and am no longer ill every day.

What have I learned? That I am fine with never having even one alcoholic drink ever again! I am not deprived, I am alive!

Congrats on your start and first monthy of sobriety. May you have so many more you lose count and have to take your sneakers off to count the years.
:c011:

mhealer3 08-25-2011 06:19 PM

the human puzzle

to all you invisible friends, thank u-
i know ur out there, many thoughtful, interesting people caring enough about strangers to come share the deepest most personal sufferings.
u guys r wonderful & i'm a big fan.

it's so much easier to forgive myself when i know there are other imperfect people talking about their mistakes, but with an optimistic view.
i agree w that encouraging philosophy:
& i feel i'm blessed to be a part
of your site.
i listen 2 your valuable & sincere comforts, knowing
that's the heart of God: that we love on each other this way:
"bear each others' burdens...and so fulfill the law of Christ". (gal 6:2)
that stuff is Goodness from heaven itself--
being real, feeling others' pain,
& helping somebody when they're down.
all that truly is a gift from God
that u all have.
"if not for our sorrows, we would not have had a heart to lend a hand."
(that's mine-- you can quote me if u like:)
i'm-- 'heart of a mama' , in new york state.
blessings to all & sweet dreams:)
i give Him the Glory for any outpooring of kindness in us.
praise Him, Amen
i love You Jesus,thank u 4 dying 4 me.

lovingit 08-25-2011 06:41 PM

I have learned, that I always knew. Now that I'm sober, I am using what I know.

eJoshua 08-25-2011 10:59 PM

Congrats on one month!

I'm four months in and I've learned that I have had to go to drastic measures to keep myself sober and it was absolutely worth it. :)

Sometimes I feel like I killed a mosquito with a shotgun, but I like to think that if a mosquito carried malaria I'd break out a bazooka to keep myself from getting bit.