Notices

Bad relapse...2nd restart...

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad relapse...2nd restart...

I have chosen new date to restart my sobriety! Just wanted to share with you its Monday 29th August.

To keep myself busy I have created a list of 35 things that I will accomplish. I will be adding to it more!!!

I have just one big concern. I do not know am I quitting forever or till the next official party (birthdays, Christmas and few more), not very often.

Please help me with this decision.

Or quit forever and do "one day at the time" approach.

Thank you
Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

"There's no time like the present"-some guy

If you really feel like August 29th is the magical date then I wish you luck with that. As far as holidays all I can say is one day at a time. I know I've been finding myself thinking about how Halloween and Christmas is coming up soon (extra heavy drinking days for me) but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had trouble staying sober and would often relapse then feel like sh!t for days. I finally got tough with myself and refused to allow myself to drink, no matter what. I now have almost 21 months sober and don't miss drinking at all. Actually, I'm happier now than I've been in a long time.

One of the members here recently celebrated one year sober. She said she set a goal of one year for herself and then would decide if she'd drink again or not. She said she was so pleased with her sobriety in that first year that she didn't want to start drinking again. I feel the same way.

I'm now so used to waking up feeling good that you couldn't make me drink! I love being clear headed and happy. I love taking such good care of my beloved dogs and myself. I love being the person I was meant to be and not some sad drunken imitation.

I would suggest you give yourself a goal of sobriety for "whatever" length of time. See how it goes, then decide if you want to give it up or continue. I love sober living and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

soberviking

Previous date I chose felt magical 8th August and no result. Bad relapse. So 29th seems less attractive, so I will go with that one.
Just not sure with my thought about quit forever or not.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

If magical thinking worked for me, I'd definitely be sober without any problems and without any help.

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also relapsed healthy...big time....i have spent the last few days cutting down again and tomorow will be day 1 again for me....
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

least

One of the members here recently celebrated one year sober. She said she set a goal of one year for herself and then would decide if she'd drink again or not. She said she was so pleased with her sobriety in that first year that she didn't want to start drinking again. I feel the same way.

I'm now so used to waking up feeling good that you couldn't make me drink! I love being clear headed and happy. I love taking such good care of my beloved dogs and myself. I love being the person I was meant to be and not some sad drunken imitation.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your advice!!!! Set the time and then decide. Not sure how long? Till Christmas or an exact year? I believe you that you feel great! Because I felt awesome when I was sober only for 6 days and then 7 days.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you stopped TODAY, by August 29th you would be feeling pretty good and have a sober weekend too.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why wait until then? Do you have certain plans coming up?

Bottomline: If it works for you, then go for it. We are all different.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

bellakeller

What did you do??? How did you manage to stay sober?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

stevie88

Haven't heard from you a long time! I had 6 days sober, then 7. So now Im ready to go further.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fandy
leo21
Im not ready yet! I did it last time the same. Prepared a week before diving into sobriety life.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't drank today - that's plenty for me!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do not know am I quitting forever or till the next official party
Sorry to say, but I don't believe that you are ready to quit forever. When you REALLY quit forever, you know it. You will just know it. For me it took hitting rock bottom health wise and coming to a completely new outlook on drinking. The next party can come on by and I will be just fine without alcohol. I have no interest at all in ruining my health anymore.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had absolutely no plans to quit drinking. On Aug 1, 2011, I looked at the clock and it was noontime. I already had 3 beers. I started to look up forums to help me to quit. I found this one. I made up my mind that day, that Aug 2nd would be my first day to quit.

Even though I have problems with sleeping now, that was the best decision that I have ever made
Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I remember trying to pick a 'good time' to quit. It seems kind of stupid now. When is a good time to have life to be proud of? When is a good time to not feel likeshit every day? When's a good time to stop shaving years off your life?

TODAY!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Setting a date would never have worked for me. I didn't plan to quit drinking, i just did. Life had become too painful with alcohol involved and i knew it had to go.

I also realized I could never drink again. I am not sure how to give you advice on whether you should quit until the next party or forever. If you are an alcoholic, i pray you quit forever, because the next party may be the last.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your next party could be the last. Nobody plans accidents. Take care of yourself, k?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you chosen which year? Best wishes
Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

anvilhead

Last time was great! Yeah its not worth to quit till next party. Its for a very long time.