SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Wish I could medicate (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/234628-wish-i-could-medicate.html)

ajangel 08-20-2011 04:31 PM

Wish I could medicate

I know I shouldn't think this way but its been a rough, stressful week. All old family pain and feelings are coming back. My sister is driving me crazy with calls. Leaving me messages telling me how sick my brother is. I just want to ease this feeling. I feel as though my head is going to pop out and my stomach is always on the verge of throwing up. I won't drink so don't worry. I just needed to confess this to someone. My sponsor is not available.

sugarbear1 08-20-2011 04:33 PM

You'll get through this. Journal? Read big book? The stories in the back are good, too! Prayers to you

Dee74 08-20-2011 04:34 PM

Stress is always there in life, I think - but especially if you have a somewhat dysfunctional family.

I've had to learn not to own my family's dysfunction - it's taken me a while, but I'm definitely getting there.

I do not need to solve problems for people they can, and should solve, themselves.
Codependency 101 :)

D

ajangel 08-20-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3078108)
Stress is always there in life, I think - but especially if you have a somewhat dysfunctional family.

I've had to learn not to own my family's dysfunction - it's taken me a while, but I'm definitely getting there.

I do not need to solve problems for people they can, and should solve, themselves.
Codependency 101 :)

D

Somewhat :rotfxko. That's putting it lightly.

Anna 08-20-2011 04:38 PM

I know it's hard sometimes, but you can get through it.

Maybe think about making some serious boundaries between you and your family, for a little while at least.

lookinforward 08-20-2011 04:53 PM

It was enlightening when I discovered just how dysfunctional my family was and is growing up. LPN as many have said to me on bad days. This too shall pass. Rough weeks always bite! Keep your chin up and take it one day at a time. I know it sounds so cliche.....but sometimes the things that seem just so awful today are not so bad tomorrow. Different day different perspective. Same goal. Stay sober and live = LIFE.
Keep it together and best of luck.
Peace, Love and Happiness
Dave

Terminally Unique 08-20-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lpnangel (Post 3078105)
I know I shouldn't think this way but its been a rough, stressful week.

Wanting to drink is not "bad" per se; actually drinking is.

I always try to remember this little quote, myself...
"People who drink to drown their sorrow should know that sorrow knows how to swim.”

sugarbear1 08-20-2011 05:36 PM

Boundary 1: tell sis how stressed you are and request less messeges, also pray to hp for more faith, maybe?