Notices

I picked up the wrong glass...

Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I picked up the wrong glass...

I was at a evening housewives gathering the other night, and picked up a glass from my table, thinking it was my iced water. It wasn't. It was neat vodka, belonging to one of our notorious party animal/last stage alcoholic friends (who everyone is concerned about). I had a HUGE swig of it, like I normally do with water and got a heck of a surprise.

To say I was shocked is an understatement. I never drank vodka, even at the height of my alcoholism, and so the thought of it being something other than my water didn't even enter my mind. It all happened so quickly that I didn't even smell it wasn't water.

I sat there, absolutely frozen and unable to react for at least five minutes. I was waiting for my alco bells to ring, and say YIPPEEE!!! AT LAST!! BOOZE!! They didn't. All I could think of was panic - the burning of it in my chest, and the fear that it would knock me for six and I'd be lying in the gutter at the end of the night. I used to yearn to be absolutely smashed every single night...now I realize how far I've come in four months. The idea of being even in a slightly altered state was totally alien and frightening to me.

Then I worried that I'd have to reset my sobriety date - which is now over four months. Since it was entirely by accident, I'm not going to. I had no urge to continue drinking, and neither did it spark off anything. All it did was remind me just how much I would like to continue my sobriety and that danger is always there, whether it's controllable or not. I'm truly over that stage of my life.

Now I just have to remember to take bottled water to parties...especially ones like those. I won't be making that mistake again.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Double WOW! I'm pretty sure that was a freebie. I can't imagine the shock and horror. The burning

That story right there...so glad we're not drinking! Heres a toast to us and our sobriety
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Smell before you drink if you are going to be around drinkers is a good motto to keep in mind...
Old 08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, hang onto your glass if you're in a situation like that again.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The speaker at our b-day night meeting also warned that you should always keep your drink in your hand if at a drinking party. There are people who think it's pretty funny to spike the drink of a non-drinker.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never had that problem since I drank out of a bottle.

On the other hand I do bring my own cup to places.

Sticks out since it is stainless steel, and usually has my coffee in it.

Start taking your own cup, and as mentioned always check
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post
There are people who think it's pretty funny to spike the drink of a non-drinker.
If someone ever did that to me, I would probably beat the **** out of them.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I hear ya on that one
Old 08-19-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I'd be FURIOUS. Absolutely furious. I think there should be huge legal penalties for people spiking drinks. Luckily I think I'm at stage of life (late 30's early 40's) where I'd think it unlikely to happen - at least in a social situation with my peers such as a party - but I'd be very careful in a bar/club.

I really did feel like I'd been poisoned. Funny how I poisoned myself on a daily basis for years and it NEVER felt negative like that....
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like a Cheech and Chong movie moment.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, congrats on reacting exactly how I would hope to react in that unfortunate situation! Gag! Straight Vodka? I never drank that even at my worst...I kept it classy and drank wine, the cheapest I could stomach...lol
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Something similar happened to me at a pub....I was around 2 months sober I think and I was outside having a smoke with my mate and I suffer from anxiety and was thinking about that and I picked up his beer by accident and not my coke luckily I realised just before I drank it. So now I am more conscious of what I'm doing when alcohol is around. I think I would have had a similar reaction to you.....I wouldn't set my new sobriety date either.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's good that you didn't want to drink more of it. Ten or so years before I got sober I tried quitting on my own and went 9 months without a drink. One night I went to a bar-b-q place for dinner and ordered an ice tea with my meal. When I took a sip I realized it was the dreaded Long Island Ice Tea. I wasn't happy with the waitress but then I figured, what the hell and went back to drinking. The desire to stay sober wasn't there for me so.....kudos to you for having the desire to stay sober.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes you have every right to keep your sobriety date and welldone for not carrying on! It is a big fear of mine picking up a glass with alcahol in it.. I dont let my friends poor me drinks or buy me drinks because of that
Old 08-20-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oof! What a horrible experience. I'm glad you're not reseting your sobriety date. I sure wouldn't consider that a relapse if that happened to me. Isn't there a Seinfeld episode where that happens?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you came through feeling ok Newwings

D
Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I went to a bar one night with a friend, the bartender told me someone didn't want the drink asked me if I wanted it. I said why not. I only had a jagar and one beer prior to that. Guess what? It was spiked with drugs. Don't remember anything after that. I guess I called my husband later to pick me up. I was still messed up till about 2 the next day. Scary stuff. After that, I kept my drink in my hand at all times. No picking up a drink unless I knew it was mine for sure.