Notices

Still rolling strong, and family visits!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still rolling strong, and family visits!

Hey all!!!

I just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone! I've been a ghost to these forums for a week or so. But all is well!

Still sober as can be! Still loving this new life!

I've been starting to finally feel comfortable enough to get out and about. The anxiety of being sober is finally starting to vanish. I've been sleeping like a normal human being, and this makes for better days all around!

So my aunts in town, and she is visiting my grandfather at his house. I was invited over for dinner, and at first I was a bit scared to go over there. See, I used to drink like a fish over there. He has a full on bar at his place. He himself isn't a big drinker, but he likes to keep a stocked bar for company and what have you. I used to abuse that bar like no other when I would go over to visit, and do it secretly as well. I've told him I quit drinking, but he has no clue of how much I actually drank, and my problems with it. My aunt on the other hand knows of my past with drinking, and is very proud I decided to stop. Regardless, I'm getting off track here . So I went over a bit nervous, but it turned out just fine. We all played cards, and had a real nice dinner. They all knew I quit drinking, and it just wasn't even talked about. I didn't feel the need to bring up my sobriety in conversation, and no one asked. They knew I quit, and that's that! Business as usual, but I just didn't drink .

It was actually a real nice time. In the past when I would go over there, I would always be looking for a sneak away opportunity to slam my drink and refill it as if it was the same drink. Or sneak away to take a few shots when no one was looking. That's all that was ever on my mind when I would visit there. But not anymore people! I actually felt more relaxed, and just enjoyed the day. Not having those alcoholic thoughts was real nice, and made for a great day with family!

Alright, I just wanted to say hello to everyone! "HELLO!!!", and share that little tidbit with you all.

All is good people! This journey forward is constantly getting better, and is sooooooooooooooo worth it. Take care all!!

-Ryan

P.S. Oh for those whom don't know me. Next week I'll have been sober for 4 months
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats. Hey I'm now 64 days sober. So a little over 2 months. I don't know about you, but I had the up and down anxiety the first 2 months. Then this last weekend I've had bad anxiety for like 4 days straight. I feel sick to my stomach, and don't get far from my house. Did you have to deal with stuff like that?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ryan, good to hear from you!

I'm so glad that you saw the benefits of your sobriety during the family visit. I agree with you, getting rid of the obsessive alcoholic throughts was such a relief.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey welcome back and thanks for all the positive, I really like to hear it.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're doing so well Ryan - keep it up!

D
Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
Congrats. Hey I'm now 64 days sober. So a little over 2 months. I don't know about you, but I had the up and down anxiety the first 2 months. Then this last weekend I've had bad anxiety for like 4 days straight. I feel sick to my stomach, and don't get far from my house. Did you have to deal with stuff like that?
Dude..Anxiety is my middle name lol.

I think between month 2 and 3 it was the worst for me. It was so bad I was freaked out just to leave the house to do simple things like...SHOP lol. I had a ton of really bizzare mental feelings that made no sense to me. To be honest, they still don't. The best anwser I came up with was that I was dealing with whats called PAWS.

So not to worry my friend! All is normal even though you dont feel like it mentally. It will pass! Just give it time, and try not do anything that brings anxiety on if you can. Your brain is still readjusting

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ryan - you're doing this thing! It's wonderful to see how far you've come, & the best is still yet to be.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Great to hear! Keep it up!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you...
Old 08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm at that between month 2 and 3 right now. I was anxious and panicky all weekend. Then today I made myself get out and go to the gym. Made me feel better. I sit and worry about every little pain I get. I think that makes me more anxious. If I get a flutter in my stomach, I sit and dwell on it or Google it which makes me more anxious. Some days I can't sit still, but at the same time am dizzy and have no energy. Then yesterday I had an overwhelming feeling of just being tired of everything. It's like a pain that doesn't hurt, but does if that makes since. I felt like depression. I'm hoping this is just a part of recovering, and that it gets better. Sorry to talk so much, just helps to get it out.