Notices

Number 1 Reason

Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Why would you "do it again" if you derived not a single bit of pleasure from it? How was 50% of your drinking "against your will"? I find that very hard to swallow...
I can not speak for DayTrader but I can address your question based on my experience. When I first started drinking I felt that initial "buzz", "good feeling", "warm fuzzy feeling", "invincible feeling", whatever words one wants to call it. What happened is I spent the next 20 years trying to find and keep that feeling. Even when the results of seeking that feeling were damaged relationships, career suicide, harm to my children, financial devastation, etc... I still chased that high. There is a passage in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous that describes perfectly what I experienced.
For most normal folks, drinking means conviviality, companionship, and colorful imagination. It means release from care, boredom, and worry. It is joyous intimacy with friends, and a feeling that life is good. But not so with us in those last days of heavy drinking. The old pleasures were gone. They were but memories. Never could we recapture the great moments of the past. There was an insistent yearning to enjoy life as we once did and a heartbreaking obsession that some new miracle of control would enable us to do it. There was always one more attempt---and one more failure.

The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places hoping to find understanding, companionship and approval. Momentarily we did--then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen---Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand! (Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous)
One old timer said that "Once we are pickled, we can never be cucumbers again." The truth of this statement has been borne out in the vast experience of AA members. Once we lose our ability to control our drinking, it is gone forever.

We experience terror that we are out of control, bewilderment that despite our firm resolve we have gotten drunk again, frustration that our willpower can not bring about the life that we desire, and despair that we will ever rise out of the mire into which we are sinking.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can no longer answer for that person who used to drink. The answer you would have got from her 26 days ago is different from the one I'd give you now.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Editor

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I can not speak for binderdonedat but I can address your question based on my experience. When I first started drinking I felt that initial "buzz", "good feeling", "warm fuzzy feeling", "invincible feeling", whatever words one wants to call it. What happened is I spent the next 20 years trying to find and keep that feeling. Even when the results of seeking that feeling were damaged relationships, career suicide, harm to my children, financial devastation, etc... I still chased that high.
Were you video taping my life?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank as I was a coward.

Or to put it less bluntly, I didn't want to face up to being a man.

*howls like a wolf*
Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but it could be argued that minimizing pain is more pleasurable than not minimizing it. Drinking to avoiding withdrawal may not have given me the old buzz, but it was certainly less painful than suffering through it, at least in the short term. :-)
Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

At the end, I drank to minimize the pain as well... but I still consider this drinking for pleasure. Had I not drank, I would have been in more pain.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but it could be argued that minimizing pain is more pleasurable than not minimizing it. Drinking to avoiding withdrawal may not have given me the old buzz, but it was certainly less painful than suffering through it, at least in the short term. :-)
Yes. But why do we stop? I will not argue that the first week of sobriety was Hell and was very tempted to minimize the pain of it.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I stopped because what little pleasure or minimization of pain I got from it just wasn't worth it. I was drinking my life away... literally. My time was spent drinking and recovering from drinking... I was wasting my life.

My survival mechanisms kicked in and I snapped the hell out of it.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow... if I believed this then I could easily believe you received absolutey not a single bit of pleasure from alcohol. That doesn't make it much more feasible...
Excuse me? If you believe it? Making my own experience with alcoholism more feasible?

Unbelievable. Sorry but you don't get to come in here and question my own experience with this illness - at least until you've been to where I've been with booze. Unacceptable. Hell that's flat out insulting and borders on trolling.

I will refrain from losing my cool here and just repeat what my experience in this last few years has been ... at the end of my alcoholism I received not one bit of pleasure from the act of drinking. 0. Whether you believe that or not is not my concern, it is exactly how my dis-ease progressed.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

let's stay cool guys

As I said before there's obviously not a one size fits all experience - otherwise we'd all have a one size fits all recovery...and I'd be out of a job

D
Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Gone In

I'm trying to remember if actually got any pleasure from drinking at the end. I remember drinking so as not to feel sick, and drinking night and day trying to keep the sickness away, but ultimately only making it worse when I when too nauseous to drink anything, even water, and had to stop. I remember noticing a few times when I was really hammered that I was miserable, and noting that it used to feel good. I remember hating going and buying gin in the morning, and not wanting to drink it but not wanting to be sick even more. Forcing myself to drink to feel better.

I think in my alcoholic state, I confused 'feeling good' with feeling normal, or okay, because when I wasn't drinking I was sick. When I first started, I drank solely to feel good, and now having gone through it all the way I think for the first time in many years I'm capable of feeling good, because I'm sober now, and I can experience that again.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I drank because I liked how it made me feel. It smoothed out the rough edges of life.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

People drink for the pleasure... and that is the only reason. (my opinion, of course)
I might have drank in the beginning for pleasure, but in the end, I drank because if I didn't I felt like I was going to die. No pleasure in that
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
Yes. But why do we stop? I will not argue that the first week of sobriety was Hell and was very tempted to minimize the pain of it.
Short term gain versus long term loss. Over time, the short term gain decreases, and the long term loss increases. Kind of like when the interest rate on your credit card shoots up because you can't pay the balance. Suddenly all those purchases don't look very wise. By the end of your run, you're basically kicking the "pain" can down the road in hopes of dealing with it later, when naturally, the solution is to bring on the pain of withdrawal and to get it over with.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The last few months I too was drinking just to stave off withdrawals. Like having a round the clock alcohol IV... drip drip drip...

I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The last few months I too was drinking just to stave off withdrawals. Like having a round the clock alcohol IV... drip drip drip...

I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore.
That was a horrible feeling. I am glad too.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that portion from "A Vision For You" from the Big Book nandm. I think I fell in love with alcohol because it changed the way I felt and it took away a lot of the fear I felt around women. All of a sudden I was cool. Towards the end of my drinking I drank because I had to, my body and mind craved it so badly. It took away the shakes and made it possible to take a shower, to go out the door to get some more, ect, ect.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

I didn't set out to drink in order to relieve pain. I was 18 years old and didn't know **** about my issues. I just thought I was a regular dude, out to have a good time.

But, in sobriety i've learned I was never a regular dude. It turns out i have always had issues w/anxiety and perfectionism., and these issues have been driving my behavior and decisions since childhood.

So yeah, I drank for the feel. But, i believe my alcoholism stems from the fact I was unknowingly self-medicating. Alcohol eased an unrest that was so much part of my being I wasn't even aware it was there until I got on the other side of this thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

to avoid and to escape reality
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

To quote Stephen King "monsters are real, they live inside of us and sometimes they win"

I drank myself into oblivion every day to subdue the monster (myself). Now that I don't, we battle every day for control.