Notices

Am I An Alcoholic?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicagoJ View Post
But, it may not be long before you have no control over whether you drink or not
Some people say that either you control your booze or your booze controls you. I doubt if the former really works so well as sounds; at least I've seen many people who believed they still could control themselves... and they looked pretty miserable.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you drink to change your feelings?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Do you drink to change your feelings?
Absolutely. Its the only reason I drink. Granted I like the taste of a good beer, drinking just makes me feel BETTER. It sounds strange, but when I drink I feel like anything's possible..like I could move to Switzerland next week and work at a ski resort...or go teach English in Jordan. The world becomes my oyster.

Then I wake up in the morning and have to go to work. Everything is routine, nothing is possible. All I can think about is my next drink.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by CriticalPoint View Post
It sounds strange, but when I drink I feel like anything's possible..like I could move to Switzerland next week and work at a ski resort...or go teach English in Jordan. The world becomes my oyster.
I totally know what you mean, that's why alcohol is such a killer -- it makes us feel like we have the strength to actually do the things we want to do.

I'm happy to report that in recovery I feel those same emotions, albeit after an adjustment period of a few months. I feel like a new person! I'm going back to school, looking for a better job, thinking about going back on the dating scene, things that I would have loved to do when I was drunk, but now I have the ability to actually do them.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It may be helpful - I know it was to me - to know that alcohol has to do something FOR us before it can do something TO us. Alcohol and drugs fixed me - until they didn't anymore. Not everyone reacts that way. The buzz frightens some people - imagine that! I understand that sense of possibility. For me, it was when socializing. I couldn't be around people without a few drinks (or certain pills) in me. Didn't even have to be hammered. I was so delusional, I thought the REAL me was the "3-4 drink (or pill) me." That other sober guy was just some scared, boring guy I really didn't care much for.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twilli59 View Post

The buzz frightens some people - imagine that!
That's awesome, LOLOLOLOL

Yea. imagine that.... I wish that I had been a little frightened here and there. Like a moth to the flame...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twilli59 View Post
I was so delusional, I thought the REAL me was the "3-4 drink (or pill) me." That other sober guy was just some scared, boring guy I really didn't care much for.
Amen brotha. Amen.

Its been 9 days now guys. I'm still feeling it like day 2. Another girl I like is coming back from a trip this weekend and will likely be having some kind of welcome back party. Pathetic to admit, but I'd just assume not go than put the boring, sober me on full display.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt like that too - but I reasoned boring sober me is way better than the loud obxoxious falling over being sick and passing out me...

and y'know? now that I've got to know him, he's not actually boring at all

D
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have been wondering if I was an alcoholic since I was in my twenties and twenty years later I know the answer and yes I always was. The alcoholism has just got worse and taken me over that bit more every year that has gone by. I can relate to what you are saying totally and I met my current boyfriend on-line (although we dated years ago before I was an alchoholic shows how long ago). I would never online chat or phone chat unless I had drank alot because I felt sober I had nothing to say. We have moved on past this and I realise he enjoys my company much more when I have not drunk so much. Although, he has no idea that I have alcohol in my system most of the time. I also know that if the relationship stands a chance of surviving I need to stop drinking totally