Notices

Day 7 and Totally Sturggling

Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Day 7 and Totally Sturggling

wow today is day 7 and I really really really want to drink. Its good im in ontario so that I can't go to the variety store and get a bottle of wine - thats exactly what I want and I have to go to a bar to get it - I don't wanna go to a bar, that will definitely be disappointing to myself - but damn damn damn I want a drink so bad!!! hardest night yet
Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry you're struggling Benny - but 7 days is a great achievement
Have you given any thought to additional support besides SR?

You work in bars, you're a muso - that's got to be rough...I'd be getting all the support I could

D
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes i worked a long shift today and i usually always have a drink after this shift - this was a tough one - im feeling better now - im washed up and being on SR is great - thanks so much dee74 - i have a therapy appointment this wed.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

7 days is significant. Store or bar its still alcohol. Is it exactly what you want or is it the alcoholic urges feeding you lies? Urges come and they go, stay with it, for your sake don't pick up. Find support, whatever it takes. My best to you.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Benny this feeling will pass, I promise you. Distract yourself, a good movie perhaps. I had a real problem at the end of my working week (3 days actually) I had worked hard and felt I deserved that drink and I screamed out for that drink, instead I made a tall glass of gingerale, lots of ice and lemon, watched a DVD. The next day I would wake up so grateful and happy I had not given in to the urge to have a drink. The urge had gone, the cravings do go and each day you are stronger and better equipped to handle them if they do return.
CaiHong
Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Benny...you sound like I felt on Friday night. I'm on day 8 today, and Friday night was a bear. I had to distract myself big time. I hope you will do just that. You can beat this feeling tonight and be happy about it tomorrow!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Benny, good for you for getting to Day 7.

You will feel better tomorrow and you'll be proud of yourself for not drinking.

It will get easier.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It passes, I promise! At the time, it's so fierce and so consuming, it's hard to believe you can work through it and get out the other side without caving in. It DOES pass though, and it get's a little easier with every day. You CAN do it
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congratulations on seven days. It's an accomplishment.

So you want some drinks? Think it through. The first mouthful will taste like disappointment and failure. It'll be damn bitter. As the alcohol takes effect (if it does) it'll be more of the same. You may think how could I have been so stupid. Here I am doing the same thing again, expecting different results.

Contrast that with not drinking, staying sober just one more day, or hour, or whatever interval you need. You may think I won, I resisted, I surrendered to my powerlessness one more time by giving my problem to God knowing He can handle it. I have no hangover, I have more money, I have clarity, not remorse. Just for today, I'm reclaiming my life from this horrible, fatal disease. I win. Alcoholism loses. Yay me!

The choice is yours. I've made mine. My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

still there but not as strong an urge
Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Xa speakers try Sandy B.'s first audio...my cat and I fall asleep to a speaker every night...

One week is beautiful!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first week or so is a real bear. Just keep occupied and focused on what you want. Keep away from any place with alcohol, and think how happy you will feel in no time at all when you can say, "I've been sober for 2 weeks!" Well, I was pretty happy to say it, anyway. Stay strong.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're doin' good. Seven days and instead of drinking you posted about wanting to, that's a good sign!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went through this last night. You are not alone. You will regret using. You won't regret staying sober. That much, I can promise. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Benny, Benny . . . WILL yourself to make it to day 8. I'm on Day 21 today and this past weekend was a bear. I think my wife WANTED me to pick up again, I couldn't get a hold of my sponsor (if you don't have one, pls find one ASAP - you will help them as much as they help you).

This past weekend, I just couldn't let my sobriety clock reset to DAY1. Hang in there - if not for you, then do it for us - for this one time. You'll feel proud of yourself the next day!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Seek as much support as you can. Have you tried AA meetings? My first week clean I went to 1 to 3 meetings a day & they helped me immensely. Having time to sit in my thoughts can jeopardize my sobriety better than anything else & the only solution, I've found, is to keep busy & work my program as much as humanly possible. It gets better over time & every denial of the urge to drink is a small victory & can be done, if you want it.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you So much for all the support!!!!! I made it through - it is the start of my second week and I really really do feel great!!!! Thank you all so much!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So happy for you! It's hard to wait out those cravings, but the sun always shines after we get through them, and it does get easier over time (thank God!)

The cravings often hit me at night, which is also the time when things can seem bigger than they are. It helped just knowing that a good night's sleep and waking up without a hangover would make all the difference in my mood.

Congrats on day 8!!!:day6
Old 08-15-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress, Seems like you are doing great. Keep it up, you have all of our support !
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

After one week I honestly questioned if I could do this. I read posts from those that say, fight the cravings, they will lessen in time. I used to think HOW??? I am now on day 30 something and I honestly can say I have not had one serious craving this week, I have felt repulsion and aversion though. Trace that back to my first week and no way would I have ever believed that!

Do I still think about it? Fleetingly want that warmth from those first 2 drinks, hell yeah but it is just that, fleeting and I am amazed how quickly my mind now moves on to something far more productive/enjoyable etc...

Stick with us Benny, there really are some amazing guys on here at all levels of the journey and there always seems to be someone who digs exactly where you are on yours and whats eating you at any given moment and how to pull you through.

Well done!