Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

In three more hours... It can be done. It happens all the time.

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well... Here I am, sitting at my keyboard after it dawned on me a few minutes ago that I'm about 3 hours from my last drink.

But I have to share something I'm ashamed of.

I crashed my car. It was my hobby car. The first new car I was able to buy after being divorced in 1999. It was an 03 Mustang, Vortech Supercharged, with all the belss and whistles... just gorgeous AND FAST.

I went to an ucles place, had a few rum and cokes and a couple light beers, so, I basically had appetizers there and would probably have more beers that night (was a Saturday night) when I got home. Of course that's easier to do when you get home.

That didn't happen!

So my uncle and aunts place. Stopped, filled the Mustang up and headed down a rather dark country road (one lane in each direction) to get back to the interstate.

As I approached a corner, one I could easily take at 80 mph (being an avid TRACK racer) I saw a flash of red in the corner and took immediate evasive action, but because it was dark, AND a corner, I could not determine which lane it was in, so I my better judgement was to move to the right as much as possible, as there was no way I could stop my car in time for.

As my right tires touched the dirt shoulder, my car went out of control. Oh, I fought to recover it, but the shoulder dropped off into grass and bushes. That's where my car went. As I corrected to the left to not get into the 'bigger' trees, my wheels dug into the grass and soil on an agle and that was it...

My car rolled. It rolled about 3-5 times. Hard to tell being inside, with your head beated to hell from the roof caving in on you.

Anyways. That my friends is the reason in three hours, I will have quit drinking.

I loved racing that car, but it won't be missed. It was traded that night for my life! But more importantly, it was traded that night for my two childrens lives, who were with me.

My heart breaks knowing what I put them through!!!

Ever abandon your children on a dark country road? Just leave them in the bushes, in the middle of nowhere, in a pile of wreckage, to figure life out for themselves? I almost did. The love of God, my heavely father, saved them both, my daughters little puppy and the one who deserved it least, ME.

My children did not have ONE SINGLE SCRATCH on them. The passenger side of the compartment held up. They managed to flag a car over, who called for help. The last memories I have before the car rolled was yelling Oh God and to my kids, I love you, I'm sorry, as the car flipped and that's all folks.

When I came to I was bleeding, couldn't balance, it was pitch black and my children 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son were pulling me out of the car.

I was take by ambulance to the hospital and family were on their way to the crash site to be with the kids I was leaving my scared children at the side of the road.

After 3CT scans and patching a few leaks I had, it was determined that I would be okay to go home. Before that happened, an officer showed up at the hospital and requested a blood draw. I agreed. After all, I only had appetizers, right?

A few weeks later the note came in the mail to let me know that I had .215 and had been arrested. At court, I pleaded no contest and took the dui.

Car 12k GONE (cancelled comprehensive a month before), attorney 5k GONE, Fine, court costs and community service buyout 2k GONE, harship license 200 GONE, other expenses, missed work... Add them up and I was in over 20k.

Gambling with my kids lives and tarnishing my image as a dad who would never let them down... accomplished.

And I was one of those awesome drivers with no tickets, no accidents, who would NEVER get into a situation.

So, here I am. Shed many tears over this... believe me. With that night behond me, my decision to quit drinking... well... In about three hours.

In about three hours, that night will be one year behind me. In about three hours, alcohol has not been a part of my life for 365 days.

There was no detox, there was no withdrawals, there was only a man heartbroken by what he had put his children through, thinking he had drinking under control.

We never have it under control until we make the decision to part ways forever with it.

Today, I love life, my freedom and most of all... I can still love my children.

It's A DECISION folks! That's all it is. Don't feed your brain the drama that it's anything more.

God bless.

wreck.JPG
Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your year ISS - and thanks for sharing your journey

D
Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow.... That's so scary, and to think that it happens every day is even scarier. Glad you and your children are OK. That was quite a wake-up call.

I'm so happy for you that you're celebrating a year sober. Your story will help many, many people to see what could happen the next time they drink. Some of us have been fortunate. I could have been arrested or had an accident any number of times.

Thanks so much for bringing the reality home to us here at SR. :ghug3
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:day1 Congrats...thank you for sharing.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one year sober! That could have been any of us playing russian roulette with our lives. Thank you. You've made me really glad I quit drinking.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to see you've made full use of the second chance you received—your kids must be very proud.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober year and thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I realize how fortunate I am that my kids, and I are here.

Now, as for sobriety... Hence my screen name "I SPY SOBRIETY" I found it.

I don't miss throwing cash at boxes and bottles of wine or 12 packs of beer every stinking night. No more feeling like the most popular person at the alcohol store. No more haveing to remember which store I went to last, so I could go to another one this time. No more waking with a throbbing head and feeling like I'm going to puke until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. No more covering over how bad I felt at work. No more mornings with puffy eyes and looking like something the cat dragged in. No more reason to rush home after work to start drinking. No more holding out on dinner until 10pm. No more being a prisoner to the house and bottle by 6:30PM. No more staggering or bumping into things. No more peeing and wobbling back and forth at the toilet LMAO.

I now come and go as I please, anytime.

I went from booze to bottled water, and also Sprite. My fridge is always packed with it. It became a habit. LOL I CAN LIVE WITH THAT!

Thanks again and good luck to all.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great inspiration you are....

I just registered on this site today and have been on it for 6 hours today. Only 5 days sober, lonely and upset with myself. What a blessing it has been to find this site and to read your story. You sound like a wonderful person....I know only because of luck has that not happened to me. I am so proud of you for being sober one year. It is people like you with stories like yours that inspire me and make me see how serious this is. It is no joke anymore.....
Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow...this is one heck of a hardcore story. It literally gave me goosebumps reading it. At the beginning, I thought it had happened very recently and that you were still drinking but planning to quit in 3 hours.

You can imagine how amazed and relieved to hear that not only you and your kids have survived this, but that you are now 1 year sober.

Congratulations for turning your life around.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Onward and upward, buddy...congrats on the year!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congratulations on one year! Thank you for sharing, that's a sobering reminder (quite literally) of where we all could be with our next drink.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanx for sharing.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by ISPYSOBRIETY View Post
It's A DECISION folks! That's all it is. Don't feed your brain the drama that it's anything more.
Love this! Thanks for sharing
Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story. It had to take courage to put all that out here for us to read. I almost starting tearing up when you talked about your kids in the car. I am so glad they are ok. Now you can be a good example for them (being sober)!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your story and congratulations on one year!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad your here today to tell your story so others can read it. Congrats on one year and thanks for sharing..