Notices

New bee here

Old 08-14-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New bee here

Little about myself..i have been an alcoholic for 18 yrs,i've tryed countless times too quit but failed. I'm now on librium it seems too help with the withdrawls but i'm about out of them and it scares me too think when there gone how am i going too cope without the medicine? I dont want too replace one addiction for another, just need some input on how too deal with sober life without any meds. Any help would greatfully be appreciated thanxs...6 day sober duane lol
Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me to be free from any substances I utilize SR by reading/posting, AA meetings, sponsor in AA, AA steps, and prayer. Take it one day at a time, don't take the first drink and think the drink thru to the consequences. I am not familar with the drug librium...maybe your doctor can answer those questions for you? Have you considered going to AA? Below is an on-line AA big book that may benefit you in learning more about the disease of alcoholism:

Big Book Online Fourth Edition
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc

Last edited by Dee74; 08-14-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

I, too, attend a 12 step program and work with a spiritual advisor so I can live a program of recovery.

AA online chatroom has meetings, 3 pm EST today

Do a search for aa speakers & listen, see if you relate, like any meeting, try more than 1 speaker

You can be totally clean, too!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

duane88
I stopped cold turkey and went through a horrible withdrawl and detox. I found after a couple of days I started to feel better. I think by the time you come off the Librium, you will be able to cope with the withdrawl symptoms. But you probably need to talk to your DR and ask what the next step will be. You will find plenty of support here on SR. The people are caring supportive and know your pain. Hang in there...it gets better!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days......been where you are at many times in the past. For me, everytime I tried to use drugs to detox, only made the final withdrawal worse than ever. Detox is hard, I am only 14 days clean......but I made it. The fear of running out of pills is the same as the fear of running out of alcohol on Saturday night....knowing you can't buy it until 12 or 1 o'clock the next day. For me, cold turkey has always been the way, but I am not speaking for anyone else. Hang in there, you can do it. Staying on this site and reading all the stories which were very similar to mine is what helped me through the worst part.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After six days you should be done with withdrawals. In that case you won't need anymore meds. Just don't drink, one day at a time.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used librium for a short period while detoxing. You need to check with your prescribing doctor as to your usage and quitting time. I think I used for about the first 5 daze. I think alcoholics have a tendency to switch addictions if we're not careful. Lots of non-drug alternatives all around us to support sobriety and recovery. Now its just me and my blood pressure med which I have no plans to give up. It supports my health not my addiction. My best to you.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome to SR. I've just finally bitten the bullet and started AA. I'm going to do something like 30 in 30. It might be 28 in 30. Could be 40 in 30. I'm not going to try to be perfect, but I'm always going to know when my next "for sure" meeting is. My next "for sure" meeting is noon Monday. Then 6:30 Monday. Then noon Tuesday.

I think that making that kind of commitment is what is important.

What's your plan?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to our family, duane88. We're so glad you're here. You have some good advice already, so I just want to send you some encouragement. When I found SR it made all the difference, since I was no longer struggling with my problem alone. No one else got what I was going through. ("Just say no" & all that advice was of no use.)

Please keep talking to us - we care about you.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Duane- welcome! Like basias said, it's normal for us to be afraid of being completely sober. Good for you for going to the doctor - He/she should be able to give you advice. I would definitely be asking the same questions.

Take it a day at a time and remember it's a process. Our minds/emotions can be all over the place at first. Be patient with yourself - you can do it!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane88 View Post
I'm now on librium it seems too help with the withdrawls but i'm about out of them and it scares me too think when there gone how am i going too cope without the medicine?
I was on Librium during the same time frame when I first started to let go of the alcohol. The Librium works great to get you through the initial withdrawls, but after that, doctors pretty much cut you off the stuff, and you either have to find other methods to continue your journey naturally, or talk to a doctor about a more specific medication for whatever issue it is you may be having. At least that was my experience. My problem was always sleeping, although it has been getting better.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i really appreciate all the feed back you all have given too me it helps alot too talk too people that are or were struggling with an addiction. i have tryed AA but didn't do the steps, this time i'm going too take it more serious,i just figured i didn't need anyone too help me but obviously i actually need help from everyone cuz i can't do it by myself so thanks too all my new sr friends...
Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome duane

D
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

well i'm now sober for 30 days and feel great!!! thanks too this recovery site and a whole lot of prayers.yet to attend aa but considering it i've been to AA before and i think it just was not the right one for me.it was just always the same ppl and same stories but i do know how helpfull it was when i first attended the meetings. ok can i have my 30 day chip now please lol.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by duane88 View Post
well i'm now sober for 30 days and feel great!!! thanks too this recovery site and a whole lot of prayers.yet to attend aa but considering it i've been to AA before and i think it just was not the right one for me.it was just always the same ppl and same stories but i do know how helpfull it was when i first attended the meetings. ok can i have my 30 day chip now please lol.
Congratulations on 30 days! That's awesome!!

I think you're right about meetings. I also didn't like AA for the longest time because I had only been to a few crappy meetings. Little did I know there are good meetings and bad meetings out there. Fortunately, I got some help from some friends in recovery and now I have a few that I like.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome to hear! Remember, it's not the meetings, it's working the program with someone who works the program!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Duane

D
Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That makes me happy, Duane! Keep going, it'll only get better.