Notices

Hi everyone. New Here.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. New Here.

Hi all,

I am new here, and wanted to introduce myself. I have been drinking heavily, everyday, for at least 7 years. I started drinking regularly once I turned 21, and enjoyed it so much that it became a daily routine for me. Although it wasn't until about 7 years ago when it really got bad, it had a history of problems before that, and just snowballed as the years progressed. For the last couple few years it got to the point where I started drinking from the moment I woke up on the weekends (passed out several times throughout) until I woke up to go to work on Mondays. I was getting so tired of the feeling I would have at the beginning of the workweek, and although I was able to contain myself (for the most part) at work, I hated having to hide it on a daily basis.

I finally decided to seek medical help in June and started on Librium. I was too deep into it to stop cold-turkey. I was doing well, although the days went SO darn slow. Every hour, every minute was a battle. I got hardly any sleep whatsoever, and it started off as pure hell. Eventually it started getting easier, and I made it just over 30 days until I slipped. That devil on my shoulder convinced me that I had it under control and could manage my intake. I was wrong.

I wound up back where I began for about 2 1/2 weeks before contacting my Psychologist and telling him I wanted to start over again. That was 27 July of this year, and I am still plugging away today. This second time around has been easier (having already been through it prior and knowing what to expect) and I hope to stay in this clear mindset, and feeling of well being. I am trying to attend meetings when I can, and sleep is finally getting much better.

I have been reading many posts that a lot of newcomers have posted, and love reading the input and encouragement that those have posted whom have a good deal of sobriety under their belt. I also have several books on the topic that I have been trying to immerse myself in to help keep me sane, provide me input, as well as pass the long days/nights.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am happy to be here and look forward to working with all of you to encourage and support in any way possible.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Clipper103
We have all been there and it will get easier. You will find all the help and support you need from all the wonderful caring people on SR. I have been on for about a month and it has made an amazing difference in my life and the way I now relate to alcohol. Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello I am new too today. What's that the doctor gave you? What is it actually for?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aidadeb - Thank you, it's good to be here. I know it will get easier with time.

Homeward - It's a medication that is used to help with the initial withdrawl symptoms. Only used for about 5 days. Google it, there's a lot of information.

Congrats to you both!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you both ,take a deep breath and one minute at a.time.

there's a leaflet printed by AA that I find very beneficial ,it's called JUST FOR TODAY .and is available on the internet ,I always found the first and seventh verse very helpful.I don't know if i can print it out here because of copyrights but it is available on line
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to SR and congratulations on getting sober -
That devil on my shoulder convinced me that I had it under control and could manage my intake. I was wrong.
Sounds familiar..... even after all the "evidence" I had built up over the years, the addict part of me would find reasons I was different and could handle it. The smartest things I ever did was give up and admit defeat.

It was a little bumpy at first, but things have steadily improved since I got sober. If we can do it, you can too.....