Notices

New. Just wanted to introduce myself

Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New. Just wanted to introduce myself

Hello. Not sure if this is in the wrong bit so please move if needed.
40 years old, female, didn't drink at all between the age of 20 & 30, during which time I had my babies.
Was drunk every weekend from about 15 though, but lifestyle change & the fact I didn't really like the taste had me not drinking after about age 20.
But the last few years I got into drinking more & more. I dated a drinker up until 3 years ago, & the ironic thing is I have drank more since we split.
I dont drink every day, but I tend to only be able to go to day 3, then drink.
Only Vodka & coke. Dont like anything else.
The least I have is the small 7 unit Smirnoff bottle? And the most would be one & a half of those. And maybe a WKD blue (I do like those)
Not a lot I expect you are thinking, but if I have much more than the small bottle, I feel terrible the next day.
I already feel that my tolerence is rising though?
I never go anywhere but work, so I am always drinking at home on my own. I am single.
I guess what I am wondering is have I got a problem? Maybe it's not a big one? But am I heading that way. And is it healthy for me to never drink again just like that?
I have a few Diazapams in the cupboard from last year, I heard that those can help fight cravings?
Apart from the fact I spend about 20 quid a week on Vodka, which is a lot considering it's only me paying the bills, I also worry that I am doing myself in. I used to be a size 10 3 years ago, I am now a size 14 & rising!
I do work, but have found I sometimes drink the night before work.
I tell myself I will only drink on a saturday, but it gets to tuesday & I crave it, so I give in. Then I am off work fridays so I drink thursdays, then come saturday I drink again, & that's how it seems to be going.
What do you think?
xxx
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

home, i think your in the right place,

welcome

addressing your alcohol intake now,

as alcoholism is progressive

IMO, i wouldn't go pop'n the pills though, as they dont mix well with booze if you should cave in,

and thats a real possibility

it does sound like your one of us,

though i cant say you are, only you can.

they say no one call say if another is a alcoholic,

though who knows about alcoholism better then an alcoholic

all good wishes home
Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HomewardBound

In my experience it's often not so much how much you drink as it is what happens to you when you do - if you think you have a problem, chances are usually pretty good that you do.

I would be careful of taking meds that haven't been prescribed to you for this purpose...and as Rusty said mixing meds with alcohol, especially meds like diazepam, could prove dangerous.

I would see your Dr - be honest and open with them and see what they suggest for you.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You sound like me a few years back,I would have the most awful hangovers and then change from vodka to wine then that would leave me throwing up every where,With me I always thought 'well at least I couldn't get up in the morning and look for a drink" well in the last year that was happening and on a Sunday a few drinks stretched to Monday and Tues drinks.I was scared ,we also socialized with people who drank everyday and seemed to function alright but now i;m learning that was all a cover up they couldn't stop and tried to make us feel it was normal .So please hang in with us my biggest fear was what if my husband or i had a heart attack or stroke while detoxing ,how could we ever face our kids ,imagine if they had to bury us or worse look after us the rest of our lives welcome
Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I also am a bit worried that it's dangerous to jus never drink again. Something was mentioned that was what happened to Amy Winehouse? Does anyone even know yet what she died of?
Feel rough today, headache. Mum over at 3, want to go back to sleep but cant, even when I lie down. Family dont know I drink much, I dont think anyway. Sometimes she'll ring tea times & I have had a few but I dont think I sound any different? Hope not anyway.
I saw on tv the other day some young guy had a scan on his liver done live on tv, & he drank loads, but his liver looked fine. But the doc was mentioning swollen liver can be common?
I sometimes have a sensation the next day on that side. Under the rib. Not pain, but an awareness?
If that makes sense. Hard to explain. Anyway, I am waffling. I think you could be right about the docs.
x
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

PS why don't you check our our August group/I've had wonderful support from them over the last few days .I had thought of joining our l ocal AA but we are a small town and anonymity would have been negligible and I had seen it happen where some families didn't want thei r relatives joining because of gossip,or maybe they didn't want to admit they also had a problem ,so this site has been an answer to a prayer for me keep on trying , going to
Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I think it's worth a trip to the dr.'s if you are at all concerned about health issues. Alcoholism is progressive and it only gets worse from here. Alcohol detox can be dangerous but you can seek out a facility for detoxing safely and letting your dr. know - they may be able to help or suggest things for you.

I am glad you are here with us and you can do this. We are here for you!

Jess
Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to have 1 glass of wine while cooking dinner. When I started watching the clock to have that glass...I knew I was heading for trouble. My brain told me, but I didn't listen. I wish I had!! If your mind is giving you warning signs.....PLEASE LISTEN!

If your worried about your health , perhaps a Doctor visit is in order?

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Homewardbound
Welcome! I started the same way...a couple of glasses of wine each night...no big deal. Then a bottle of wine each night. Then one or two bottles a night. Oh, now a few glasses in the morning to get rid of the anxiety. Then drinking for 5 days straight. You are very smart to question yourself and take action now, before it is totally out of control. You will find all the support and caring you will need here at SR. I have been on this site for about a month and it has made an amazing change in my life. Good luck to you!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

to SR.

Glad you are seeking help. Alcoholism is progressive and you have some very good questions for yourself. I concur with the above comments pertaining to the medicine.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR. The diazepam isn't to control cravings, it's to keep you calm during alcohol withdrawals. And mixing it with alcohol is dangerous. Please see your doctor for help in detoxing.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you think you have a problem, you probably do.

Three days is about how long I have been able to stay sober too. I'm on day four right now. I once got up to 28 days. It was lovely. Then I screwed up. Now I start over.

That's a lot of vodka. Have you researched how much alcohol it takes to damage yourself? I haven't, but you might want to.

I was interested in your post because I quit while raising babies too after being a drinking teen.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Homewardbound! It's so great you found SR. This is an amazing place filled with caring people. You're never alone when you can come here and talk about your feelings.

It does sound like your drinking pattern is changing. Mine certainly did. I remember getting a buzz from one beer. Over time, even 100 proof vodka didn't do the job. I never would have dreamed I'd go from having a few with dinner to drinking 24/7. I'm sure you've heard the phrase - 'alcoholism is a progressive disease'. I never knew what that meant until it was controlling every move I made.

I hope you'll continue to post and let us know how it's going. We're glad you're here.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, homeward. As you know, I'm new here, too. I hope we can both find what we are looking for, and the support we need here, and beat this thing once and for all!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Homewardbound - I can relate to your post, too..... It got to the point where I was hiding my drinking, figuring out when/where I could have the next one, arranging my life around the hangovers, etc.... It was a slow process, but it just got worse over time. I tried and tried to control it, but found that once I had that first drink, all I wanted was more......

Keep posting and reading - you'll find a lot of help here. :ghug3
Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome to SR, glad you're here. Here's a link to some reading you might find helpful:

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/