Notices

Inpatient, here I come!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Inpatient, here I come!

Earlier tonight I made arrangements to go to a 28 day inpatient facility. I had been doing very well in my outpatient treatment, achieving nine months sober. Then I got confident (read crazy)...

I decided I would get drunk once and get back on the wagon. Naturally, that didn't work and I've been a wreck ever since. Everything I've worked for, self-esteem, positive relationships, emotional management, personal responsibility, etc. is all slipping away. As far as I'm concerned, it's time to do something different.

I feel like rehab will be a good opportunity for me to refocus on the skills I've learned to stay sober in an environment I can handle. Currently, I'm not very good at coping with day-to-day life. I guess I'll learn how eventually. Maybe, hopefully, I can find/create some meaning in my life.

Regardless, I'm never going to give up. I'm going to beat this **** and I hope we all can.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From what you say going to a 28 day rehab would be a good idea but if you didn't have trouble with 9 months of sobriety and have trouble with everyday life then seeing a professional about your underlining disorder that you most likey have would be cheaper and you don't want to worry about future insurance plans you may want in the future. You should only go to rehab as a last strew.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good move BBB. I hope it can be your turning point and the way forward to lasting sobriety

D
Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck with your inpatient treatment x
Old 08-14-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck with your program. Check back when you are done and let us know how it went.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I say whatever positive steps you make to help yourself is fantastic!!! Please let us know how you make out.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep us informed...all my prayers for a peaceful journey.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Best wishes! In patient rehab turned my life around. It was the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great decision. I wish I could make the same one. Hang in there and keep in touch.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very best wishes to you BBB!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To me this sounds like a wise decision if the cost of doing this is within your reach. The crucial thing is giving up alcohol and reducing as much as possible the risk that there will ever again be "one last binge". Alcohol, as an addiction, never gives up. It will always be there, waiting for you if you let it back in. And, if you do, you will find that it will be devastating. Recovery is hard work but, with the passing years, you will find true happiness. You will receive the greatest gift of all- yourself. Good luck and all the best!

W.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go and emerse yourself in all the help that is there. Hopefully you will have some wise words for us when you return!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good for you - I think it's a great investment in yourself. I loved inpatient - it gave me undivided time to work on me, without the constant pressures and distractions of day-to-day stuff.

All the best!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really hope everything will work out for you, keep the faith
Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

I'm glad you're doing what you have to do to keep moving forward. I'm a little concerned that you want to beat this thing. The proper outlook and attitude is important.

I can't beat this thing. I am not cured of alcoholism. What I really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition. Every day is a day when I must carry the vision of God's will into all of my activities. (AA Big Book, page 85.)

Step one of AA is about surrender. I admitted I have no power over alcohol. I admitted my life is unmanageable. Am I powerless? Of course not. I'm an extremely powerful person. But I have an illness in two parts - an allergy of the body combined with an obsession of the mind. I'm allergic to alcohol. I react abnormally to even a small amount of alcohol. My last drink was a sip from the communion chalice in church. That sip made me want to chug the whole chalice. Non-alcoholics don't react like that.

The obsession of the mind tells me I'm wrong, I made it up, I'm not really an alcoholic, I've been sober a long time so I can drink again now. And on and on. Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you you don't have it.

I had to surrender to get victory. I did, with AA's help. As long as I maintain my spiritual condition, I hope to never drink again.

So help me, God.

My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the support, everyone. I just got off the phone with the facility and I'm expecting a call tomorrow with the details to get me up and running. I'm equally nervous and excited. Yikes!

Fortunately, I got my friends and family on board with me. My parents are a little ambivalent about participating in the family portion of treatment, but I'm not going to worry about it.

hector, I understand what you're saying, and I'm pretty well convinced that there's no returning to drinking at all, social or otherwise. Of all the things I've tried to learn from this wild relapse, my inability to have even a sip is just too much.

I know I've got some hard work ahead of me, but better now than never!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you the best BBB

D
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's a great decision and wish you the best.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

BBB - I applaud you for making this decision.

It is such an incredible investment of time (and money) that it will hopefully give you a very solid beginning.

I drank through two IOPs but when I checked myself to inpatient - it stuck.

Great information there.

All my best,
SPG
Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good luck x