Notices

2ND AA Meeting

Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2ND AA Meeting

This time it was a bigger venue with much more people. I really didn't like it at all. I will continue to go to the meetings on Tuesday for the people, i do feel as though the "higher power" aspect is getting to me. I may go trough my work in order to get an appointed counselor.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you. I wish I could find a big meeting I could just disappear into...I'm looking casually. It is fifteen minutes from my house to ANYWHERE. And by anywhere, I mean, the gas station, convenience store, feed store .

So an AA meeting is a 30 minute drive. Not good. I want to go but I want it not to take the whole center of my day. I want to share with people who understand.

I want to take the actual steps I need to take (not meaning the 12 steps) meaning I want to be where it's at. Be in the space. Do the work.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you read the Alcoholics Anonymous book? All of it? Pages 567 to the end? Listened to speakers online? Try to relate to what's said? Try not to judge or have contempt prior to a full investigation?

Just trying to give a positive twist. There's so much information that is more than just reading the steps. Making amends, for example is not saying you're sorry...it's about making amends; putting yourself in others' shoes........

Just my thoughts. It's a program of attraction, not promotion.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

The religious aspect is not for everyone. I know it's not for me and I really don't think I should have to force myself to get over that. I am sure there is much more to AA but there is a lot of other good help and info out there that I don't have to make myself sit on my hands (and opinions) through a meeting just to get to the info I do want and need.

If you like the folks in the tuesday class then that is great and maybe you will learn a lot from them. Take the good parts!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What it comes down to is :

1) I like hearing and sharing with others who have my problem.
2) I like the idea of a 12 step program
3) They are missing out on members who want to seek help because of the religious aspect

I want there to be a 12 step program associated with positive steps.

For instance, step one is great:

Admitting you have a problem... I've done this. Now what?

I'm sorry i'm venting...

This is also become a difficult day for me as my friend is in town and wants to get beers. I find it hard to share with him that i'm done.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not a religious program. It's a spiritual program. I struggled until I realized the difference in that.

And AA is all about the "living sober" thing you talk about in your signature line.

I find that if I'm willing and keep an open mind I get a lot out of the spiritual aspect of the program.

AA founders were steeped in Christianity, but I latch on to the Higher Power concept, that there just might be something a tad more powerful then me in out there. That works.

The slogans and jargon used to bother be tons, but I live by them now and they get me through life.

I do find that smaller meetings are so much easier to relate to. I'm blessed that the meetings I go to gather only 20 or so, sometimes just a handful, and I live in a city of 17 million.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I'm proud of you. I wish I could find a big meeting I could just disappear into...I'm looking casually. It is fifteen minutes from my house to ANYWHERE. And by anywhere, I mean, the gas station, convenience store, feed store .

So an AA meeting is a 30 minute drive. Not good. I want to go but I want it not to take the whole center of my day. I want to share with people who understand.

I want to take the actual steps I need to take (not meaning the 12 steps) meaning I want to be where it's at. Be in the space. Do the work.
Getting booze used to me the center of my day, and a 30-minute drive through a hurricane never stopped me from getting it.