SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/234057-hi.html)

betty9403 08-13-2011 12:41 AM

Hi

I joined up a couple of nights ago. I have tried to figure out the groups and members and issues etc. I am so grateful for everyones honesty. If anyone wishes to ask me to be friend I would be grateful for that. I just checked my profile and it speaks for it self. Also you spiritual people and I found a Fitness and Nutrition group as well. I would be just grateful to be in contact with anyone who wants to sober.

I CAN TAKE MY LAPTOP TO BED AND DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL INSTEAD OF TV WHICH I HAVE LEARNED ONLY INCREASES MY ANXIETY AND GO TO BUY A BOTTLE OF WINE - THAT IS MY GOAL.

I WOULD REALLY LOVE APPRECIATE HEARING FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE SO DETERMINED NOT TO DRINK AND WITHIN AN INSTANT ARE IN THIER CARS TO THE LIQUOUR STORE AND TOMORROW BECOMES A NEW START DATE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Thank you,

Betty

TylerDurden 08-13-2011 12:44 AM

Hi. I appreciate your honesty. I am from Louisiana, and we don't have liquor stores. We just drive down the street to a normal gas station and we are blessed with all the liquor and whiskey a person can handle, at any time of the night! You can imagine how difficult it is!

ANGELINA243 08-13-2011 12:45 AM

Welcome to SR! :wavey: Glad you are here. This is a great place to find support. We do recover.

Dee74 08-13-2011 01:09 AM

it's good to have you here Betty :)

The folks here really helped me turn my life around - I hope we can do the same for you too :)

D

JulyBabe 08-13-2011 04:48 AM

Hi and Welcome. I understand what you're saying. SO many days I've determined that "today is the day." I read AA literature in the morning, come to this site, and have a good day, until 5:00. Then all my resolve can go down the drain and I'm off to the store for a bottle of wine. I've found that I just HAVE to get out of the house from 5:00 to 6:30-7:00. That can mean going to a meeting, exercise class, whatever. Old habits and patterns die hard so I can't just sit around the house, or start making dinner at 4:30-5:00 or before I know it, I'm back at it - sipping until the bottle is gone and the cycle lives on. I'm still learning how cunning and baffling this disease is. Keep reading this forum - so much wisdom!

SomethingBetter 08-13-2011 05:12 AM

For so long I lived that way, it was a cycle that I could not escape, drunk every night, swearing it off every morning, drinking by the afternoon...

@ Tyler, yes that would be madness, I had to dig deep within myself to find the strength to break this cycle, but as time goes by its not as hard to stay sober.

artsoul 08-13-2011 08:41 AM

Hi Betty and welcome to the forum! I know you'll find lots of friendly people here and lots of support. It's hard, if not impossible to do this on your own. I had to smile when you talked about sitting in bed with your laptop. That's exactly what I did for three days straight (just reading on this site) when I first got sober!

Don't be afraid to ask a doctor for help if you have withdrawal symptoms.
:welcome

MycoolFitz 08-13-2011 08:48 AM

I also extend my welcome. On whatever forum interests you and you care to post you'll find kind, caring, empathetic people.

bigguyslimm 08-13-2011 08:56 AM

Welcome and best of luck to you.

betty9403 08-13-2011 05:11 PM

I am so overwhelmed by all of you. Thank you so much for your amazing welcome. I really do appreciate it. You have all given me so much hope.

Tyler I can certainly appreciate how difficult it must be.

I will certainly be checking in. Thank you so much.