Notices

I Want to Get Sober

Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Want to Get Sober

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I could use some help. My drinking is out of control. I drink everyday after work basically until I pass out. My wife tells me that often I am an angry drunk. I don't want to live like this anymore and could use some words of encouragement. I haven't had a drink yet today and want to stop drinking for good. I figured that posting here would be a good place to start. Please help!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome FHB1. This is a great place to spend time as you begin your journey to sobriety. When I came here it calmed my nerves and gave me hope. I was no longer alone, and that meant everything.

Others will be along to offer advice. Please tell us more about yourself when you feel ready. You can do this!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, glad you found us. "I haven't had a drink yet today and want to stop drinking for good." How about removing the yet and just do it? No time like this moment to start fullfilling your want. You'll get lots of support here and plenty of other places.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum, FHB1 - Glad you're seeking sobriety! I was pretty scared to quit drinking but now I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

We all know what it's like and getting support is the only way to go. Keep reading and posting - we're behind you!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn! It feels good to know that there are people here to talk to. I never really had problems with alcohol until recently. When I was younger, I was more of a binge drinker. I'd get plastered on Fridays and Saturdays, but would not drink during the week. I didn't crave alcohol either. However now that I'm in my early 40's, alcohol has become a daily habit. I had 80 days of sobriety last year and it felt great. I took one sip of alcohol and now I'm drinking more than I ever have in my life. I'm going to try to stop for good. I feel better already being able to write a little about it here. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support here from a lot of people all over the world who care about your recovery. I've found a lot of strength here. I finally gave up drinking for good twenty months ago and haven't felt this good in a long time.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow! I can't believe how many people have replied to my post so quickly! Thank you so much. I CAN do this and today is day 1 of my sobriety.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi FHB1, and welcome...

I hear what you are saying about the drinking just picking up steam; even after a sprint with sobriety. I find that to be true for me as well. My experience has found that when I decided to pick up again after a period of abstinence, it is like I never stopped. It was true for me with cigarettes and for alcohol. Fortunately, those days are LONG gone and I am content in sobriety. It takes change but it is so well worth it.

If I was able to do it, you can too! There are many, many here that HAVE succeeded.

You are in the right place.....
Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR FHB1

I think support is very important - and you'll find a lot of that here

D
Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks wellwisher! I've got to put a stop to this. I was thinking about attending an AA meeting, but I've never been to one and am a bit nervous about it.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on your decision to live life sober.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hear that too! AA is where I learned how to get sober, but I really hesitated going there for a long time because of some preconceived notions I had at the time. I was also afraid that I would run into someone I knew (que horror!) but didn't seem to let the thought slip in that they were probably there for the same reason. Why don't you try it?

I just thought of an old commercial that used to play for a rehab near me where the guy would say, "There is no shame in being an alcoholic; the only shame is in doing nothing about it."

After I got sober, I started responding...."You're Right!"

I also think it is great that you are here on SR's forums - what a fantastic resource. They didn't exist back when I got sober, and I find the tenor here to be extremely supportive and a great wealth of information.

Glad to see you here. Feel free to PM me if you like....
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Alcoholism is a progressive disease as you found out after you 80 day sobriety period. From here on out, if you keep drinking it's only going to get worse. And if you keep on drinking you might start losing stuff, like your wife, your job, your drivers license, your health . . .

Of course you're nervous about going to an AA meeting, everybody is before their first meeting. Just go for it, what have you got to lose except a life ruled by alcohol?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Calling out for help is a great start. I would first get rid of all the alcohol from the house. Even the hinting alcohol that you may have hide. Give your license to your wife for the time be. They way you can't buy alcohol. She may need to drive you to and from work. Once your ready to go on your own and not buy alcohol is when you can get your license back. Third is to see your doctor and get a blood/fiscal test. When seeing your doctor ask to get a referral for a drug/alcohol counselor. By doing this way you will get everything you need to know that your body is still okay from the alcohol abuse you have down and you can the get the right help with recovery. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I still get nervous walking in to a meeting and I've been in & out for 25 years!

Welcome!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your help and support! I found an AA group that meets a just a few blocks from where I live. I'm going to attend my first AA meeting tomorrow, first thing in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, FHB1. So glad to hear you have a plan. I just hit my 30 day mark this week and I can tell you that, while it is not always easy, it is sooo worth it. I feel so much better, physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.

There is much support and collective wisdom to be found here. Keep posting.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

FHB, why not give that meet a try?

It may seem scary, but it won't once you walk into the room. I guarantee that. You will be welcomed as a newcomer, and no one is more important in AA than a person who walks into the room for the first time.

Go early. I guarantee you will be recognized as a newcomer, greeted and welcomed. And I guarantee you one more thing: you won't drink for an hour, which means there are only 23 more to get to the next day.

And they have meetings then, too.