Notices

Taking Charge

Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking Charge

Hi , just wanted to introduce myself, Just made the decision to cut down today, ultimatly quit ASAP.

I have been drinking heavily for nearly 17 years with a couple of yearly breaks inbetween

I had the most horrendous anxiety/sweats last night which forced me to run out and buy more cider, I have quit alcohol many times before but with nothing so much as a little night sweat, this was totally different.

Woke up feeling like crap, pulse was high , so went to Doc, he advised me to taper off. Gave me the # For an Alcohol advisory board, I had an assesment there today and was booked for a detox evaluation and blood tests, hopefully next week.
Also got meeting times for local AA meetings. and signed up for a support meeting at the Advisory board next week.

Scared as hell of the detox symptoms as I have never had them before, but hoping to get some support here as whatever alcohol brings to my life , i just dont want it there anymore.

Sorry if the spellings bad, hands still a bit shaky, my taper is now the 4th beer , but I still have terrible symptoms( mainly mental) I dont feel a little bit drunk( Ironic huh, mainly cos I think I realise the seriousness of this situation) I was advised to drink the 4 500ml cans in 6 hours, and then drink more if neccessary, but I really dont want to, I just want Alcohol gone from my life ASAP.

Bless you all for even taking the time to read this
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Drink slowly, taking time between.

Welcome!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boy, I know those shakes. Thank God no more. Just want to welcome you to SR. No real advice on the tapering since I was never successful with it. Glad you did the doctor thing and am getting an evaluation. I think support, especially early on, is really critical. Don't worry about the spelling, I'm never good with it--I think my brain's shakey. Look forward to hearing about your progress. Hey, and bless you right back.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome NewDayNewWay! We're so glad you found us - you aren't alone with your problems any more.

I'm happy you've sought advice on detoxing. I did it on my own - and was told afterwards that I could've had a stroke or seizure. I tapered too, but it isn't recommended. I poured my last few down the drain & never looked back. It sounds like you're ready to do the same. Be proud of yourself for coming to this conclusion.

Reading and writing here on SR will help keep you occupied. I know my emotions were all over the place the first few days, and coming here saved my life.

Let us know how it's going for you!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome newdaynewway!

everyday will get easier, do whatever way works for you. you'll find tons of support here, posting is great, like Hevyn says it'll keep you occupied. having a hard time today myself and coming here keeps me from doing things that are much more harmful to my health....

just focus on today!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome NewDayNewWay. I know those detox withdraws oh too well. I could have never weaned. Good luck to you. You have come to the right place. SR is a great place for support.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Detox really sucks, and I'm glad you're seeing a doc about it.

The good news is, the worst of it is over relatively quickly.

Best of luck in your sobriety!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making a decision to get sober.

I'm so glad you're making plans and getting support. Most of us tried to stop on our own and couldn't do it. I hope your taper goes well - just don't hestitate to get immediate help if you feel you need to.

You sound ready to get out of this vicious cycle and that's what's important. It gets better, it really does.....:ghug3
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I hope you do well with you're detox method, detox really sucks.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I will say this, though. I think I put off getting sober many times because I was afraid of detox. When I look back, I realize this was a silly fear. Under medical supervision/with physician's advice, detox from alcohol can be quite safe and relatively painless.

I think it's important to recognize that it can be dangerous, but don't let fears of detox keep you stuck in the bottle.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your wonderful supportive replies.

The taper ended up being about 6.5 cans at about 18 oz cans you have in USA.

It lasted about 6 hours as well, i woke up 2 hours later with a lot of sweating, and ended up getting about 4 hours of fitful sleep.
Feel a touch better today and think I can taper down to about 4 cans instead, spaced over 4 or 5 hours.

The anxiety comes and goes, but even logging onto this forum and reading the replies helps.
Cant remember ho much water I drank during the taper and night, a fair bit.

I read on another forum to put some salt in some of the water to avoid water intoxication, does anyone know if this is true, and if so how much?

I have put my initial action plan as given to me by the guys at the alcohol advisory board up alongside my bed where I spend most of the day, that way I can lie in bed and look at it, as this is a big step for me.
When I am better from the detox , copies will be put all around the home, and every single branded beer glass/coaster etc is going straight in the trash
Old 08-13-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's a taper? I admire your determination, and withdrawal from alcohol is dangerous for many of us...

...but I do question any doctor who advises one to taper their drinking. It makes me wonder if they might not understand the alcoholic mind.

Good luck. Keep posting. We're here for you.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Brief update, was feeling the fear today, so went to the local ER, Was given Librium and an IV drip, Blood tests ECG etc.

Was advised that tapering off is better spread out and only when you feel some side effects of detox.Rather than caning it in one night.

Was told I could drink tonight if I felt the Librium wasnt working enough.( feel fine at the moment) but I doubt I would crave much, not even a third of what I had last night, And if I needed to drink tommorow to space it out just to keep the edge off.
Hopfully I am past the worst of it, the sweats were much less today.
Dr was great, I explained I was waiting for a detox clinic appt within 2 weeks, he said that because of my motivation to quit, he could bump that up to starting on Monday.

One again apologies for the typos,still got the iv drip thing in my hand

Bless you all.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome NewDayNewWay,
good for you for seeking help! And great to hear you will get into detox clinic sooner than later. Sounds like you are set and have motivation - stay strong and keep your power - you will start to feel better sooner than later. Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Got a solid 12 hours sleep ,woke up with a little of the neck sweats(didnt need a drink last night), the Librium and IV seemed to help.
Detox appt tommorow, seem to be less on edge today, BP and Pulse reduced as well, so will only have a taper drink if need be tonight, and only 1 or 2 I should imagine.
Roll on tommorrow !
Blessings.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Continued taper, only had 2 oz alcohol last night spread over 3 hours.
Feel fine today, pulse still a touch high, but BP back to normal.
Tapered from 11oz of alcohol to 2oz in 72 hours and no side effects now.
Saw Alcohol worker today, he was glad with my progress, said I could have one drink tonight and be fine enough tommorow to stop, but advised me to do what I felt was best , and not be a slave to that whole thing about Anxiety being the excuse for a drink.

He was confident I wouldnt need a detox.But said my name is still there, Sure I wont need it ( Touch wood), he did say he would refer me to a 18 session/6 week counselling group though

No shakes or mind fog today and the only sweats are because its warm outside.
Feeling much better about things.
Got my first alcohol support meeting in a couple of hours

Bless you all
Old 08-15-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats! Stick close to the docs! You're taper sounds a bit precarious to this special education teacher, but I Am Not A Doctor. I sweated (perspired & was drenched) for several weeks...72 ounces of beer nightly to 0 overnight, but detoxed for weeks.

Best Wishes!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ty, in retrospect the Nd Pabrinex and Librium were a big help and got me through the most intense step of the taper.
If you count just the alcohol use its basically been 3 drinks(1 litre of cider) all weekend, and no ill effects today.
Usually my cold turkey detoxes used to be no more than one night of moderate night sweating, but looking back on it the first 2 nights of my tapering were the crazy ones, and the 2nd night was helped by the medication and drip.
3rd was fine, so I feel fine about sleeping normally tonight.BP has been steady all day with no spikes.

But if I do feel jittery later, I wont hesitate to have 0.5 litre of cider( Ie 1 pint) to take the edge off

Blessings.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In effect its just been a 48 hr detox from Fri night to Sun night. and then a continuation of a light taper down.