Notices

12 step????

Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
liability/access/toxic

12 step????

I still consider myself a newcomer at 50 days. I read about so many using 12 step programs and just feel it is so wrong for me. Some of the steps are so out of line with my core beliefs. I also read about 3 to 5% recovery for 12 steppers and 3 to 5% recovery for anyone that wants to recover by employing any method or no formal method at all.The motivation for the latter being that they are just really serious and determined about recovering. So please tell me who of you reading this used a program other than 12 step or created a method on your own and has achieved long term sobriety. I believe I am ready for some structure but can't find it in 12 step.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SweetB,
You must have missed the posts regarding AVRT. It was quite lively - alot of people defending AA and/or AVRT.
I ordered the Rational Recovery: Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy online and read it in a weekend. It is the approach I have taken to get and remain sober - for life.
You can read a sample on Amazon - I recommend you check it out.
Let me know what you think.
:o)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, no matter what program you follow, it's ultimately up to what the individual does to recover.

I've been in recovery for many years, using books and SR as my lifeline.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm twenty months happily sober with the help of my addiction counselor and this site.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

I'm in a similar situation. It's 2 months today for me with no structured program. I'm doing well and have no intention to drink. Ups and downs and blah times but doing well, considering. Except the past 3 days in which I've been sick, stupid immune system. But, I often long for sharing with others going through this as well. I mean, this forum is great for that but maybe not all I'd like right now. Like you, AA is not for me. I've been to a few meetings for support with a friend who quit 7 years ago and it was the most depressing place I've ever been and nothing has ever made me want to drink more than his AA meetings, ironically.
I just don't see many, if any, other options other than 1 on 1 therapy.
I might look into this AVRT thing. I have no idea what it is yet but others keep saying it's helped them a lot. Just one more thing in the arsenal.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

You've definitely come to the right place, these forums, for ideas and info about different ways to recover. Hang around, real a lot. Comtemplate, apply some things and see if they "fit".

You have 50 days, so whatever you are doing, you are off to a good start.

I actually worked on my recovery for about 6 months before I got clean, as if I felt I had to have something in the bank before I was ready to quit. I use material and ideas from a variety of methods and programs to help me grow in recovery but part of that is 12 step, so I'll leave others who do not use 12 step at all to suggest other methods.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As said there are many "programs" available. These include things ranging from 12-step to the rationial recovery models and others. Others of us create our own programs, perhaps using components of tradional models but also those things that, through application, seem to fit and feel valid to us. For example, I rely on certain principles and practices I follow from Eastern schools of thought, including readings and meditation, plus diet, exercise, SR and, of course, my own desire and dedication to personal recovery. I don't and wouldn't advocate one approach over another. Every one is unique with varied experiences, beliefs, personalities and so on. My method is just my method through trial and error and success. If I find some things not working I will look on, keep the components that are working, and always keep an open mind and eye on other ideas and approaches. Probably sounds trite but its my approach and I feel better now in my sobriety than I have for many years, sober or drunk. May you discover your path whatever it is and walk it well. I should also add I have involved my doctor and also several therapist over long term to deal with my addiction, anxiety, depression and PTSD. I am not currently seeing a therapist.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I use a 12 step program that's worked for many for 72 years. 100 years before, another program that was similiar worked with less steps, but folded for various reasons.

Many programs are available, I hope you find one for you!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The 12-steps did not help me, but I think being around other addicts in the meetings did for awhile.

Ultimately, I did put together my own recovery working with a therapist. The funny thing is that it is based on the same principles that the the 12-steps are supposed to lead you to. The steps just did not lead ME there. But those principles are sound.

I would suggest reading the book Not God which is a history of AA. It explains a lot of why things are as they are in that program--which helped me more than the actual literature. Seeing why this program developed as it did, made it clearer to me what was of value there to my recovery and what was not.

I think it is important to be connected to someone. The strongest factor (I am told) in indicating if someone will make it or not in recovery is not the program they are in, but their relationship to another person helping them. For me, therapy was better because I needed to be able to speak freely and without judgements put on me. But I do think that being able to speak is key. Reading and thinking and writing and meditating are not enough.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm a bit over 2.5 years sober, I didn't use a 12 step program. I was willing to do anything, and went to a lot of meetings and met wonderful people. I also desperately found a wonderful addictions psychologist in my area that saw me 2x a week for a little over 6 months. He provided a lot of counseling, and coached me in guided relaxation for some anxiety that I was having. I also came here much more frequently than I do now, read, joined chat meetings, etc.. I think the bottom line is the willingness to try anything, and persistance to find what works. That being said, it's really not a 'program' or anything that works, it's how you work whatever your recovery 'plan' that either guarantees your success or failure (for lack of a better term).
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Personally, one of the first things I told my sponsor was that if standing in a corner hopping up and down on one foot would keep me sober, I'd happily do it to save my life. So, I agree with what Flutter said (if I understood her correctly) that it's a lot less about the program you choose than it is your willingness to work it. Find what works for you and work the hell out of it.

--Fenris.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

SweetB: I enjoy long-term, contented abstinence. I'm a veteran of 12 step, but am now a member of SMART Recovery. You might like SMART--the name of the group is actually an acronym:
  • Self
  • Management
  • And
  • Recovery
  • Training

It's a structured, 4-point program and all about self empowerment. You can check it out at:

SMART Recovery® | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction
Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by SweetB View Post
So please tell me who of you reading this used a program other than 12 step or created a method on your own and has achieved long term sobriety. I believe I am ready for some structure but can't find it in 12 step.
I used AVRT from Rational Recovery, which does not use support groups at all. If you are interested, feel free to contact me, but note that while AVRT does provide a very good defense against any cravings, beyond secure abstinence, it does not provide "structure" per se. You are effectively "on your own" once securely abstinent. As onlythetruth pointed out, SMART may be something you could look at.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Take a peek at The Spiral Steps; I discuss them in my thread, here:

I find it a good fit for me, and others who might find AA like pounding a square peg into a round hole

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3067691

Best of luck,

H. Puppy
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used SR mostly.

I think commitment is key, whatever method you use - that and an acceptance that I am an addict and I needed to change my life.

this is a brief idea of what I've done
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2531003

D
Old 08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think it's important to latch onto something bigger than yourself, and I think it's important to latch onto something greater than just seeking abstinence.

I see my drinking as a symptom of deeper issues, so I'm interested in dealing with those issues. Not everyone sees their drinking this way, but I do.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SweetB, ever thought about seeing drug/alcohol counselor? You may have some underlining problem that you don't ever know that you have.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I quit on my own and then I read RR after the fact. I use AVRT on the rare occasion I get an urge or thought/idea of drinking. I'm not sure whether I was just ready to quit or if I spontaneously recovered using the core technique of AVRT. Either way, I've quit and it's sticking.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Personally, one of the first things I told my sponsor was that if standing in a corner hopping up and down on one foot would keep me sober, I'd happily do it to save my life. So, I agree with what Flutter said (if I understood her correctly) that it's a lot less about the program you choose than it is your willingness to work it. Find what works for you and work the hell out of it.

--Fenris.
Bingo Fenris. I also think it's more about the person's willingness to do or follow a program than the program itself. Attitude has something to do with it too. Whatever works for a person to recover from alcoholism is a great thing.

I did one on one counseling and went to AA. I knew of a program that cost folks lotsa dough in Southern Calif that consisted of sitting in a sauna to detox the system. The people would stay in as long as they could and cool off and do it again and again...for several hours. That would be too much for me but some people did stay sober.