SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Feeling Dopey (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/233929-feeling-dopey.html)

bayliss 08-11-2011 02:20 PM

Feeling Dopey

Okay - so I am on Day 3 right now and I am so tired...I feel kinda dopey actually...like I am not really here nor there. It kinda scares me. :/
My eyes are sleepy and I can remember the day but I just want to sit there and do nothing...and then this increases my anxiety because it feels like I am in some sort of la la land. =S
Does anyone else get this? I still get super tired at around 7-8pm...but lately I have been feeling like I am not 100% present in anything that I do.
Obviously, I would feel normal if I drank again, I know that...but why do I feel this way sober?? :/

Anna 08-11-2011 02:22 PM

Have you talked to your dr about stopping drinking? It could be helpful to get checked out while you are detoxing.

I hope you feel better soon.

hector 08-11-2011 02:28 PM

I think it's normal to feel unattached and out of place for a while. Your body is making huge adjustments. It'll pass. Stay sober.

Hevyn 08-11-2011 02:28 PM

I do remember feeling very strange & exhausted the first week. We've done alot of damage to ourselves & we'll go through many phases as we get well. As Anna said, it would be good to check with your dr. I'm glad you're on Day 3 bayliss!

MycoolFitz 08-11-2011 02:32 PM

Alcohol alters are mind and our mood, that's what it does. That's why people drink. So drinking wouldn't make you feel normal, it would make you feel like you normally do while drinking which is not feeling normal, and so on. If you're concerned get it checked out. Your body, mind and emotions will be experiencing all sorts of change early on it sobriety.

ajangel 08-11-2011 02:36 PM

It took me 2 weeks to get my mind back to normal. Was disconnected.

Dee74 08-11-2011 02:49 PM

I think a certain amount of foggy-headedness happens to most of us...but please if you're scared...see a Dr, bayliss...be safe :)

D

Tuesday24 08-11-2011 03:01 PM

During my first 2 weeks I felt the same way you are describing. It takes time for the mind and body to adjust. I agree with the other posters- if you are frightened, see a doc. :) Stay Sober

bayliss 08-11-2011 04:18 PM

Well - I will see what happens tomorrow. I have had a really anxiety-filled day due to work and am thinking that my body is just exhausted, this week has been quite an ordeal.
I will not drink today - as much as I wanted to and argued with myself for a while.
But tomorrow I will be on day 4. :)
Thanks for everyones opinions on this. Would be interested to hear more. :D

EmeraldRose 08-11-2011 04:26 PM

I felt like a sack of potatoes for a few days. I decided not to fight it and didn't do anymore than I had to. It was ok because I needed that time to myself. If your foggyness continues call doc.

bayliss 08-11-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose (Post 3067934)
I felt like a sack of potatoes for a few days. I decided not to fight it and didn't do anymore than I had to. It was ok because I needed that time to myself. If your foggyness continues call doc.

Hey EmeraldRose - thanks for the response. :) I definitely feel like a sack of potatoes! Lol. I even made my boyfriend order himself some pizza because I did not feel like cooking. Lol.
I also took some Ativan earlier today because of anxiety so that might have contributed to the fogginess?
I have also been staying up later then usual.
It's funny - when I drank, I fell asleep at 8pm and woke up at 7am...and now that I am sober, I am tired, but don't fall asleep until 11pm and have a hard time waking up at 7am. Would love to sleep in instead of going to work. Lol.

sugarbear1 08-11-2011 04:56 PM

Not yet 90 days & I'm still tired. Took a long time to get here.

bayliss 08-11-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 3067974)
Not yet 90 days & I'm still tired. Took a long time to get here.

Sugarbear - do you find you're ready to just go to bed at 8/9pm and sleep in until 10am?

It probably doesn't help too that I sit at a computer ALL day and then I peruse this website 24/7 as well. :) Lol.
Makes the eyes grow tired and oh so sleepy.
Need to do eye exercises I think.