Notices

First Night Tonight !

Old 08-10-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Night Tonight !

I just found this site and hoping the support and info will help me. Decided tonight is the night to stop drinking (after 20something years). I have been feeling awful lately and thought it was menopause - feeling sick etc. but am now worried (and still sick) that it might be more. I dont know how I will do this - I have only 2 beers in the fridge because read that it might be dangerous! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all
Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for joining us. I think you'll get similar recommendations. Detox can be dangerous and should involve your doctor. Toss the 2 beers if they're still around, the time to quit is this moment. Utilize support, whether family, friends, AA, other support groups, professionals, this site, etc. Recovery begins with sobriety, or the desire for sobriety and really involves the evolution of the whole person. I look forward to hearing how you're doing. There are always caring people here.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done. You are making a very bold decision and I am sure it is one that will bring many great benefits to you. Finding a programme to recover is the first step. Have a good look around this site - there are lots of people here who have various programmes and should be able to share with you.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad you are making a decision to get sober. I utilize AA and SR for recovery tools and try to take it one day at a time...don't drink...think the drink thru to the consequences...and prayer. Not sure about the tapering...do you have a Doctor you can consult with pertaining to withdrawls?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you found us, Chalfont. I hope you'll stay and tell us more of your story.

4 yrs. ago, SR helped me find the courage to stop after a lifetime of drinking. I was so lost until I came here and found I wasn't alone. Sharing our experiences makes us stronger. Congratulations on your decision to have a new life. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Depending on your drinking habits you may need some help in detoxing. See your doctor if you can about getting thru the w/d safely and comfortably. Meds are sometimes prescribed for the first few days to lower blood pressure and lessen the possibility of stroke or other problems.

Here's a link to a thread in the alcoholism forum about our experiences in quitting alcohol. Do be safe.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Chalfont and welcome to our group.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! Glad to hear you are wanting to get sober. Sounds like you have hit your bottom it is hard, painful, scary and miserable drinking. I can't believe I made it here alive. I am rooting for you.
I would try to find an AA meeting in your area. The internet is a great resource to find one. AA has saved my life. Not all meetings you will like... try to find one you do like. They are all so different. Keep us updated! I am praying for you.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the Out Pouring of Support!!

What an amazing, caring group!! I lead a pretty normal life - when I am not being shaky and sick but I have been on a couple of bottles of wine a night for years then went to 2 Fosters (because of the big cans and 1 bottle because it "seemed" a healthier option, but every now and again (a lot lately) when there is other stuff around I cant resist so that has put me where I am now. I am very nervous of going to a doctor and feel funny walking into AA but I am still giving it a go tonight (taking a Unisom to make me sleep) I wish you all well with your efforts and will stay in contact.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love the dog quotes! We have two small rat terriers and love all animals (especially dogs!)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you, Chalfont!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Chalfont !

This site has been a real life-saver; .....when I found it last April.

active, ....and supportive folks here who remember the early days in sobriety

We're all pulling for you,

Keep us posted on how your meeting went tonight !?!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

We have a Dachshund who is crazy as the day is long, but he makes me laugh every now and then and that helps. It's nice to have some good snack stuff and drinks like tea handy. I've been drinking lots of water, tea, fruit juices, gatorade and even developed a taste for V8. You have to want to be sober and really want to stay sober... I got clean for two weeks back in April, let the cravings get the best of me and went right back to drinking a 12 pack (+) every night. I am just getting started again (one week), but am now talking with a old friend who does not drink anymore and others who never have touched it. I am nervous, but going to an AA meeting this Friday, because weekends are the hardest for me and maybe I can meet some new (clean) friends.

Best Wishes
Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chalfont!

I'm so glad you found us and that you have decided to live a sober life. SR has been my lifeline for years.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

I hope your de tox goes smoothlly.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Chalfont!
Congrats to you for looking to make a change. I am on day 3. It has been hard but also good. I want change. It might be hard for you to sleep for the first bit but know that will pass. I have also been eating a bit better, taking vitamins, and went to the gym today - actually forced myself because I was feeling so low and really wanted a bottle of wine. I ended up taking a great class and feel back on track. I really wish you well =you are an august newbee like me! good luck
Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

ps - I found this site my first night and it has been amazing! I come home looking forward to hearing from other people who understand me. It has done wonders for these first 3 days!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
a southern belle

hey chalfont...this is a great place with exceptional people. everyone here is so understanding and helpful. so glad you found us and i hope we can keep you with us.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You have made a wonderful decision, and although you are afraid to go to the doctor and confront possible health problems, I think that it is most likely the best thing for you. Doctors cannot hurt the situation at all, and even if they discover any health problems, they are most likely discovering them in their infant stages, and you will have a greater chance at overcoming them. We all had our first night, and as daunting a task as it was, we are all the better for having completed it. I'm still in the early stages of my sober recovery, so alcohol is still very tempting, but I am able to say that for the first time in 8 years I clearly remember the last 2 months of my life. Good luck on your first night, and I hope to hear back from you soon to hear if you are feeling any better.