Notices

Unexpected effect of sobriety

Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unexpected effect of sobriety

Hi all. I'm at 21 days, and I've been feeling kind of strangely lately. I've been very, very sleepy, but also... just good. I've been feeling really, really good-- to the point that I'm a little worried. I'm wondering if my brain might be producing some sort of chemicals to reward me for not drinking. I haven't had a craving to drink in over a week. In fact, the thought of going back to drinking horrifies me.

I guess my concern is that it might make me complacent, resulting in a giant relapse. Has anyone else experienced this sort of euphoria?

I'm not trying to rub it in to those of you who have had a harder time with recovery. I fully expected my detox and recovery to entail months of misery, but after the first few days, I've been feeling... well, great. I was a very, *very* heavy drinker-- like one of the giant gallon-sized bottles a day there at the end.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's funny how we can worry about feeling good without having ingested something first

It's natural to feel good...and it's natural to feel not so good too...and we learn to deal with both

As long as you don't forget the past or dismiss it, I think it'd be pretty hard to get complacent Sarah

D
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I felt really good shortly after quitting. But I also felt really bad, grieving over a loss. I don't believe in the "pink cloud". Be thankful you're feeling good, carry on with your life... Be wary of waiting for the other shoe to drop... I was also worried, and for no reason. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I was absolutely euphoric. The so-called pink cloud I guess. But seven months later, I still feel pretty darn great most days. I have bad days of course; stressful, lonely, boring, all the usual life stuff. And I still hear the siren call of alcohol from time to time. But I wake up every morning so darn grateful to have escaped that dark, desperate place. I remind myself how bad it was—and that makes even the worst sober days seem better.

Good for you, Sarah. My two cents: Be vigilant for bad days and temptations—but enjoy the rewards of your hard work!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually had to google "pink cloud." I've seen the term before, but I didn't really know what it meant. Ironically, the top result was on SR.com.

I'm not sure that it fits me. I'm not especially proud of having quit. In fact, I never really *wanted* to quit in the first place. Initially I was just trying to sober up for a few days to get some stuff done and be able to make my daughter's therapy appointments. But a few hours into hard detox I realized that I can't do detox again. I don't think I can say that I'm feeling terribly excited or accepting-- at least not to the extent that it would make me euphoric.

The first few days my mantra was "maybe I can have one tomorrow." The terror of going through detox was enough for the first week or so, but then this new feeling set in.

I guess I should shut up and stop over-analyzing it!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi Sarah...I'm on Day 3 (again) and have been really sleepy too. I agree with the consensus above. Revel in feeling good. You can see it as a gift from God, or simply your body and mind thanking you for no longer beating it with a hammer. Either way, it's all good. Thanks for your post. I'm starting to feel a little better as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am day 26 and yes, I have those moments. It almost feels manic at times. My moods do seem to swing an awful lot as of late. I go from being elated and on top of the world, to so crabby that I don't want to be around anyone, to weeping about missing my mother, to incredibly loving and thankful. It is very strange. I just chalk it up to my brain chemicals trying to level out without alcohol. I am sleepy all the time too. I am just now getting to the point were I can sleep 6 hours a night. It will all level out. It just takes time.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is an inspirational thread. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

It's you feeling good about accomplishing several days in a row. Life is calling!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

With the amounts you were drinking I don't think it's unusual at all for you to notice such a stark contrast between your emotions while drinking and how you feel sober.

It's really good though that the thought of drinking horrifies or disgusts you. What I try to do is to remind myself of that feeling when I am feeling weak. Coming on here and reading people's stories has been a big help as far as that's concerned.

I don't think you have to worry about becoming complacent, but I would just keep close tabs on your emotions. Relapses happen long before you take that drink, and if you can identify a relapse as it's developing and nip it in the bud then you will have much better success.

Good luck!