Notices

???????

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question ???????

So Ive kept this under wrap until I got to visit my normal dr but Saturday my stomach was hurting pretty bad and swelled up to the point where I look 5 months pregnant as well as feeling sick to my stomach and vomiting what looked like old brown dry blood(I know too much info).I went to the ER and all they could really do was offer something for pain after giving me an ultrasound....my iron was extremely low as well.Ive had female issues in the past and they suspected a cyst may have ruptured.Of course going home with pain meds kicking in I thought I was feeling better Saturday and Sunday,although my swelling was still bad. Yesterday I had my follow up with my dr and he had my hospital records.My stomach has filled with over 2 units of blood (judging by iron level I guess) and it being a ruptured cyst was ruled out because the bleeding appears to be INSIDE my stomach not in lower areas.Now the dr has scheduled me for surgery tomorrow to locate the source of the bleeding but he says he attributes it to my heavy alcohol use.....although Ive only had 4 beers in around 3 weeks..and that was 2 sundays ago.Has anyone else had this problem after years of heavy drinking??? Ive done google searches and cant really find much beyond possibly ulcers? Why would I just start bleeding inside weeks after my last drink?My dr wouldnt offer many theories until the surgery.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry that's happening to you, but you will know tomorrow. Please be kind to yourself and stay off the internet searches today - you will end up taking your mind places you won't want to be going and probably give yourself such unnecessary angst.

I have myself diagnosed symptoms via the internet of so many ailments that never came to fruition. I don't do that anymore.

Good luck tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's maddening and pretty scary not to have answers but there are so many things it could be - it's mad for you to go looking on Dr Google, and it would be impossible for folks here to guess.

You simply won't know until your Dr's explore a bit more, Gibson.

I'm glad you're in good hands tho - I know they'll find the trouble and fix you up

D
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree- don't do searches! I've worked myself into a panic many times by doing that and things always turned out to be minor. Try to relax... You'll be in my thoughts!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I agree with others, no point speculating. The unknown is always hard to deal with. Have faith, you will be well in short order. Sending positive thoughts your way. Keep us posted!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to hear your getting help Gibson! I wish you the best in surgery and I'm sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery. Please keep us up to date!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be well. I hope this is not too big a deal and you can continue on your path.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry gibson. It could be a number of benign things. It is hard to not to be afraid but trust in your physician and surgeons to address the issue. Be brave. Come on here at SR for comfort and support but as everyone else said, do not look online to try to figure out what it could be. It will drive you mad. Keep us updated. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, Gibson, how awful for you! I am keeping you in my thoughts for your surgery tomorrow, and hoping you heal quickly.

I think the main thing in this current physical crisis is that you are totally honest with the doctors about your previous alcohol usage and your plans for sobriety. That way, they can treat you properly and get your body back to 100% so you can carry on with your recovery journey. Sending hugs.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Gibson?

D
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Physically,today Im ok....not any pain...well it never was pain just like a lot of pressure..or maybe the meds help keep it that way......My stomach looks like its swelling worse though but it could be IM just more aware of it....I truly honestly look pregnant literally over night....that part is what is creeping me out.I havent tried to mess with google anymore ,I was pretty much just looking to see how common or not common stomach bleeding (or wherever its coming from)is with drinking.My surgery is scheduled as out patient pending everything is ok.He plans to go through my throat I think first before anything invasive...Im convinced its simply ulcers (i cant help but wonder) that we know alcohol can cause and Ive been on that lemon diet which is lemon and cayenne peppers...and a sea salt flush.....I would imagine if I had ulcers I wasnt aware of that may have possibly irritated them.......I had to come off that diet and stick with just clear liquids today .Ill let everyone know tomorrow how it goes....and thanks everyone...just think if I would ahve stayed drunk I probably wouldnt have been aware this was happening .... another reason to stay sober
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like they're not in too much of a hurry, so I'm sure you'll be fine Gbson.
Best wishes

D
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gibson3479 View Post
Physically,today Im ok....not any pain...well it never was pain just like a lot of pressure..or maybe the meds help keep it that way......My stomach looks like its swelling worse though but it could be IM just more aware of it....I truly honestly look pregnant literally over night....that part is what is creeping me out.I havent tried to mess with google anymore ,I was pretty much just looking to see how common or not common stomach bleeding (or wherever its coming from)is with drinking.My surgery is scheduled as out patient pending everything is ok.He plans to go through my throat I think first before anything invasive...Im convinced its simply ulcers (i cant help but wonder) that we know alcohol can cause and Ive been on that lemon diet which is lemon and cayenne peppers...and a sea salt flush.....I would imagine if I had ulcers I wasnt aware of that may have possibly irritated them.......I had to come off that diet and stick with just clear liquids today .Ill let everyone know tomorrow how it goes....and thanks everyone...just think if I would ahve stayed drunk I probably wouldnt have been aware this was happening .... another reason to stay sober
Sounds like you are having an endoscopy. I would assume if he thought you were in danger, he would have admitted you to the hospital. Good luck tomorrow love.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Why didn't you get admitted? The brown is blood the swelling abnormal. I'd go to the emergency room. My stepson was admitted for less than this.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Best wishes - feel better - take care of yourself!

AND totally agree with WellWisher - stay off the internet searches. I always end up doing it and it doesn't help. Half the time the answers or what I find are a wash and reel me into severe anxiety.
If you weren't admitted right away then they thought that it wasn't that serious. Just keep your eye out on your pain and if it gets worse - then get back!

Thinking about you.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.Touching base:Ive been home for a few hours.They said its stomach ulcers.I am scheduled for a biopsy tomorrow but for now am on antibiotics because of infection.This has gotten scary but I know I should just be thankful I sobered my butt up in time to even realize something was wrong.Many of the symptoms Im having I had thought were from a hangover in the past....anyways they havent admitted me still so Im thinking the concern is still not that bad.They are probably just ruling things out.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for keeping us posted. Thank goodness you are able to be proactive in your health care. All my prayers for speedy recovery.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, thanks for the update, and good for you for following through with your concerns.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thanks for the update, you will be in my prayers!