Notices

What's in your wallet?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's in your wallet?

I estimated that in the month of June, I spent approximately $599.00 on wine. Granted, my husband drank some too...but I'm pretty sure I drank more.

That equals $7,188.00 a year.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just be happy your drug of choice is alcohol. Your yearly total is a bad month for me. It's all relative though right? No matter how you look at it - it all equals BIG WASTE OF MONEY AND BRAIN CELLS!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm....

A drivers license without restrictions...pictures of my family and me
enjoying happy times....credit cards....cash.....and the item that keeps all this happening.....

my current AA medallion with my date of sobriety...

Wishing you all the best that sobriety can bring...
Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We can beat you SindyLuhu. I'm a cheap drunk, but my wife has high standards when it comes to wine and she's still drinking, although for the moment she has cut back, but we all know it won't last.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right now, my driving license and a debit card. Feb and march I drank around $7500, beer whiskey, vodka and rum! Is a lot when you think the kind of vacation I could have had for 2 months on that money.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Great thread cause it got me thinking...

Right now, my wallet has my driver's license, cash and a few credit cards. But you know what's missing?

Tons of random receipts from various restaurants, liquor stores and mini-marts!
  • Places I went for dinner and ran up a huge bill with countless cocktails!
  • Liquor stores receipts from some place two towns over. That I drove 10 miles to, so I wouldn't have to show my face at the local spot more than once a week.
  • Receipts from mini-marts that I went to after binge drinking with my friends. Which only serves to remind me that not only did I drive drunk....again. (Still trying to forgive myself for that.) But I also bought a sh*t load of junk food and got $80 from the ATM! BTW...where the heck is the $80???
You know what's not in my wallet? Evidence of a girl who's life is obviously out of control! Now the worst thing you might find is my library card. Feels great to be sober and once again tap into my inner dork.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not much in my wallet but I don't mind being poor as long as my dogs are rich.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chloe--I now have a library card in my wallet too! I had to laugh at that one!

I would have some extra cash...but my kids keep hitting me up for money now that they KNOW there's some in there...ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

Enough to get me on the bus and buy food!

I was actually making more when I was still drinking. I am happy to be doing a job that I love more than anything and wouldn't trade for a Wall Street salary.

But I remember at the end of my drinking I realized I was spending too much money on alcohol. So I switched to cheap, cheap alcohol. I mean vodka that was probably half paint-thinner and I bought it in bulk. So I saved money...? Nope! I just convinced myself that I could drink more. I probably paid exactly the same for the cheap swill per month.

I was too much an addict. I was no more ready to actually be fiscally responsible, just as Donald Trump wont ever be spending his Sundays cutting coupons.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((Isaiah)))) Good to see you post!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

I love this thread!

I figure my hubby and I spent a minimum of $100 per week on beer. that's $5200 per year. coincidently, we happen to have about $5000 in credit card debt, go figure.
All this time I thought we weren't making enough money when it turns out we were just drinking it.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Made me think of all the money spent on wodka (the correct spelling as it is arguably a Polish invention).

All the embaressment of buying it with my hands shaking and recently while buying it drunk braking a bottle in the store.

While doing therapy one of the exercises was writing on a flipchart exactly how much you spent on booze and ciggarttes year by year since starting drinking. Really huge amounts popped out when suming it up - especially for those 3 pack a day smokers for 30+ years.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

Piotr... the "lil water," right?

Wodka is so much more menacing in the Polish language. Mowie.

I recall wanting to celebrate an occasion. This was just before my addiction really took off. I broke a $100 bottle of scotch in a store (wasn't entirely my fault but a packaging failure.) Still, it was embarrassing beyond belief.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

A bus pass, drivers license, and bankcard in a pocket. No wallet.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

$40-$50 a day? Although I'm not really saving much (yet) because the last year was spent drinking on credit cards. I'm still paying for my booze even though I haven't drank for months....
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

An AARP card... I don't know how I feel about that yet, but I got a great discount at a hotel recently!!

LOLOLOL
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Not much...sobriety doesn't necessarily bring good spending habits...

....but I do have some money.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
part time member

I've got a driver's license that has the absolute worst picture on it! My daughter asked me why I don't pay the $$ for a new one. I told her that it is a great reminder of where I was...all bloated and blotchy red.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great Question!! A whole bunch a stuff - but if I keep up the good work, I will have minimum $400.00 more per month.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I don't even carry a wallet anymore...there's nothing to put in it. Lost my driver license and credit cards. I racked up $60,000 debt on credit cards in 5 years. I had to declare bankruptcy cuz I lost my job too. All thanks to the bottle! Now that I'm sober, I look back and Im astounded at what I spent on my addiction. 60k was just on credit. My actual paychecks/savings were spent too. All total, I probably blew $250,000 on booze (directly and indirectly) in the last decade.