Notices

What Recovery Method Works Best

Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Recovery Method Works Best

A lot of threads discuss the relative value of one recovery method versus another, or ask the question "What will work for my recovery?" I've pondored this myself. It made me think about something a wise man said thousands of years ago that I think addresses this topic. I just wanted to share it for what its worth.

"Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them...

When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them."

Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

To me this seems like a key if the method one follows leads to personal welfare and happiness, follow it and stay the course. Thank you.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, I borrow from a number of sources. I have found that no one program methodology addresses my curiosity and needs perfectly. I use a combination of commonly available face-to-face support and a lot of reading and due diligence on many recovery techniques and philosophies.

That's why many recovering folks will refer to "their program". We make things fairly personal and customized to the person working their "program". Be it RR, SMART, AA, addiction counseling, church, medication, etc.

I have found, that when starting something, it's best to be complete with it so you really know how something works, before you pick and choose what you 'like' since what you 'like' may not be what you 'need'!

All the best. And the teachings of the Buddha are a part of my program, too!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

the recovery program that works best for me is one I can be honest in and that I stick with. any program that I cannot embrace fully and honestly and thus stay committed to, will not work for me, because I will be unable to work it.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

When did a drunk truly follow through with anything?

I choose AA. Just my honest opinion.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
When did a drunk truly follow through with anything?

I choose AA. Just my honest opinion.
When they're recovering/recovered?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe. I needed to type "when did I follow through...."

Thanks, I had a chuckle. Day 84....(i type that since i still can't add, yet!)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

Thing to remember about the Buddha is he wasn't the only one speaking of reform to the spiritual traditions of his own homeland. The reason we have Buddhism and not religions of minor or failed prophets is that they didn't work.

Same with recovery. We don't have ages of tradition to lend credibility to modern recovery. When Buddha was alive people just had to trust in what he was speaking of, since there was no history to prove his statements. So true today. we don't have a long tradition that has proved itself, nothing that even goes more than a century back. Recovery is in it's infancy; maybe someday one way or another will prove better, but this is still a period of experiment.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Thing to remember about the Buddha is he wasn't the only one speaking of reform to the spiritual traditions of his own homeland. The reason we have Buddhism and not religions of minor or failed prophets is that they didn't work.

Same with recovery. We don't have ages of tradition to lend credibility to modern recovery. When Buddha was alive people just had to trust in what he was speaking of, since there was no history to prove his statements. So true today. we don't have a long tradition that has proved itself, nothing that even goes more than a century back. Recovery is in it's infancy; maybe someday one way or another will prove better, but this is still a period of experiment.
Are you saying that you don't think people down through the ages ever quit an addiction?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, I think he's saying that just because an idea is new, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Present day you see Buddha as a wise man, back in his day, he may not have been as respected because his words were too "new".
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The program that works is one that you are willing to follow.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At the end of the day most recovery programs are going to get bad press because most drunks won't follow simple suggestions...which one is the best? The one that the drunk will actually follow through on and follow what the program suggests?! Every drunk i have ever met thinks they are unique and the centre of the universe therefore the program should be unique for them, it is literally jaw dropping...but hey i used to be one of them so...

Its like their favourite saying is "i'm a snowflake cos no 2 snowflakes are the same"...yeah course you are mate you keep telling yourself that...it's worse when you used to say that stuff yourself lol
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

All I know is I'd like one thread where we're not combatively splitting the recovery atom.

My recovery journey was, and is, an intensely personal one - it works for me, but I'll happily share what I've learned on my journey in case it's useful to others. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

But I know my path is not the only one up the mountain - it would be absurd to suggest that.

I'm not in competition with anyone else

D
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raindance View Post
No, I think he's saying that just because an idea is new, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Present day you see Buddha as a wise man, back in his day, he may not have been as respected because his words were too "new".
Oh, I get that part. I meant the part about having no tradition of recovery. I guess it seems that "just quitting" isn't being considered as a time proven method?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're splitting the atom again, Jennie.

D
Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
When they're recovering/recovered?
IMNSHO;

Recovering is thinkin about not drinkin.
Recovered is not thinkin about drinkin.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
People have been quitting addictions for a long time, but few who figured out how ever sat down and wrote down how they did it. Boleo pointed out the story of Matt Talbot to me once, and recommended the following book, for example. Matt Talbot obviously lived before any recovery "programs" or addition treatment existed.
Matt Talbot - Wikipedia

"To Slake a Thirst: The Matt Talbot Way to Sobriety" by Philip Maynard
As for which method is best, while I tend to consider people like Matt Talbot the real experts on recovery, I do realize that some people will never figure out how to do it without some guidance. In the end, as with all solutions, including medical ones, what is best for someone is what actually solves the problem for them with the least amount of undesirable side effects.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dismember

As was said SoberJennie,

I think there are growing traditions of recovery that are great. I cut my teeth in AA, and I believe in that. However, Buddhism has become legitimate through thousands of years of people practicing and supporting it. I don't think any modern recovery programs (AA, Oxford, SMART, etc.) have obtained that level of real tradition or timelesness.

I'm not saying they wont ever get there, I just think people involved in a recovery program need to still be aware of our limitations and be ready to accept that we're still a community short of perfection. We may still have a ways to go before we can speak of what is "best" against what "seems to be working well right now."

Rather than criticize recovery programs, I just think they need not rest on their laurels. This is a rather historic time for addiction recovery, and I think we need to be active in that, not simply stand on tradition.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah
This is a rather historic time for addiction recovery, and I think we need to be active in that, not simply stand on tradition.
My opinion here is that it's a historic time... seemingly leaping out of the history books because there are people and groups of people trying to cash in on "recovery"... I don't think any of us are doing anything new under the sun. I think there are corporations, systems and organizations who are reaping great benefits monetarily.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have medical issues that don't let me do a traditional method. 2 Heart attacks and diabetes, so I have been advised to not stop drinking until I get to the VA and can be looked after by a medical team. My sober date is Aug 15, and I will be on my own until I get to Rehab in the VA. I met with my Psych doc today, and he is confident that I will be able to ween myself off with the use of Naltrexone, prior to me getting into a sober state for 7 days until I check in for the 28 day program. My goal is to avoid detox, and just checking into the rehab program. I am dedicated to taking this program to the distance and beating this addiction.