Notices

What Recovery Method Works Best

Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Okay easy answer

The program that works is the one that keeps that person sober.

AA, AVRT, RR, fuzzy bunnies, twirling in a circle twice a day, waking up every day thankfull to be alive, ufo's and etc etc etc.

Whatever works just do it
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Okay easy answer

The program that works is the one that keeps that person sober.

AA, AVRT, RR, fuzzy bunnies, twirling in a circle twice a day, waking up every day thankfull to be alive, ufo's and etc etc etc.

Whatever works just do it
I think that was what I was implying with The Buddha quote. He even asked his followers not to accept his words without testing them themselves. To take what they themselves self-validated and discard the rest. He never claimed his was the only path just the one that worked for him and might well work out for others so inclined. They were self-validated suggestions or recommendations, not rules or dogma. On his deathbed or mat, or whatever, when his followers asked who they would follow now, he replied Be a light unto yourselves. I appreciate you alls lights.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This thread reminds me of about 1000 other "my way is better" threads. But this time, I'm sure we will all agree.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

What is up with the recent occurrence of these "my recovery program is better than yours". They all remind me of "my daddy is bigger than yours and can beat him up". Rather childish, counter productive and pointless in my opinion
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone will read this.
It's what this forum is about.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-my-heart.html
Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My recovery journey was, and is, an intensely personal one
Yes exactly.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'll happily share what I've learned on my journey in case it's useful to others. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.
You have written a lot of things that are very helpful to me!

I think it's important for all of use to talk about our method - not in a "mine is right" kind of way - but so others here can see that they aren't alone.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

My recovery has been a mix of many things. AA, SR.com, God, working a lot, finding and resurrecting hobbies...lots of stuff. But most importantly, it's about always trying to make good decisions and to make choices that will benefit me, or at the least won't harm me. Just so happens that whenever I'm faced with a situation in which alcohol is present, I can't think of one reason why drinking it would be good for me. In my opinion, it's always a bad idea, so I better not do it.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

Runescape, legos & turbo dogs....reconnecting with my innocent self...

There are many ways to achieve sobriety. Like medicine prescribed by a doctor, every person has their own variables...

And my apartment looks like my bedroom when I was younger and my parents were not yet noticing, the difference being no one yelling at me and when I re-energize, it will look soo much nicer. It's ok, today I am not isolating nor am I alone. What a difference in less than 3 months.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Having the privilege to see and latter experience the wide variety of living free from addiction. I agree with:
No single treatment is appropriate for everyone. Matching treatment settings, interventions, and services to an individual's particular problems and needs is critical to his or her ultimate success in returning to productive functioning in the family, workplace, and society.

Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment
It was a hard lesson with tragic failures to learn the single truth. Ones mans recover meat is another mans relapse poison. Thank goodness for life giving variety in addiction treatment.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
It was a hard lesson with tragic failures to learn the single truth. Ones mans recovery meat is another mans relapse poison.
Indeed. I've seen too many square pegs forced into round holes myself.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mine's a mixture, like many others here. I just try to be open minded and honest with myself. Sometimes you have to be willing I think to listen to some advice and take it on board. Even if it doesn't feel that comfortable to begin with. Sometimes what we need to hear isn't exactly what we want to hear for recovery. There's a respectful way of expressing it though.

It's not a competition, I don't think there's anything necessarily 'best', just more options available these days. You can put someone in a great treatment program, give them many great resources, if they're switched off inside, it won't make much impact.

Some people make criticisms of other programs when they don't have a full understanding, I've seen that happen a lot. And some of them may have had a bad encounter with someone who isn't the best example of that program - I've found some unpleasant people in virtually every program, usually a minority and the rest have a healthier attitude. Mirrors the outside world. You're not always going to hit it off with everyone.

A good recovery program I think takes into account full recovery, it's not just about putting down the drink or the substance, it's also a personal growth process. The recovery market seems to be getting bigger, if you're investing money then you really should check all details.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

It is quite clear to me that there is no "best", or "right" recovery method. What works great for one of us may be a disaster for the next person. It is a very individual thing.

I suspect that those of us who have negative things to say about a particular recovery program are those who have not found that particular program to be a good fit for them, but who have been forced into it anyway, or been denigrated simply because they prefer a different path.