Notices

Cue Macaulay Culkin!!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cue Macaulay Culkin!!

In 2 days I will be home alone for about 5 days. By myself. Alone. No husband. No 8-year-old boy to entertain. Ahhhhh!!!!!
As a young boy my husband used to go up to the Boundary Waters with his dad and would camp for a week or so-- this was tradition. Well, since my husband doesn't get to see his dad all that much (he lives 5 hours away), last summer I came up with a brilliant idea that this summer my son, husband, and father-in-law should all go up there together and camp! Great idea, right? Well, I think it's really important for them to do this together-- kind of a generational male bonding thing. I know my husband and son will enjoy it.
The problem of course is that I will be here alone for the 5 days that they're gone. This has never happened. When my husband has business trips, my son is here with me. When my son is at my parents' house or something, my husband is here with me. It is a new thing and despite my confidence a few weeks back, I am beginning to get nervous.
At first I thought "Whoo-hoo! I can be like Kevin from Home Alone and eat pizza, watch movies...possibly chase off some burglars!"
In all seriousness though...I'm starting to panic. I have plans for a couple of the days but that still leaves a few. I'm hoping that I can stick to my plan of just enjoying the peace and quiet... pampering myself a bit... but I guess it's making me question if I really am secure in my reason to quit. I thought I was doing this for myself, but am now wondering if it's more for my family. (THE VOICE is already speaking in my head-- "they're gonna be gone. Who would know?" That shouldn't happen if I'm quitting for myself right?)
I feel like I've done really well so far... I'm making more progress and have more sober time than I ever have had before... I don't want to see that end because I wasn't prepared. They leave Wednesday morning so my plan is to have a plan before then!! Advice? Comments?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was in a similar situation. I was well into my recovery, over 6 months, when my wife told me she was going to PA to see her son at college. Three seconds later the first thought through my mind was, "She going to be gone, I can drink." Like you, I got nervous. Posted my concerns on SR. Looked up the times for some AA meetings. I wasn't attending AA at the time, but the worry about a relapse had me pulling out all the stops.

Yet, when my wife left, I was fine. In my heart I had no intention of drinking, so I could ignore the voice that told me I could. I'm not saying all the worrying was for naught, because thinking about it, worrying about it, made me prepare for it. I had a plan.

You should do the same. And by plan I mean, what are you going to do if the temptation to drink comes? Who can you call? What support can you draw on?

You can do this. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! Good to know you faced a similar situation and made it! I don't know-- I guess I'll have to do some thinking about what I'll do if I have the urge to drink.
As of now, I haven't tried AA... I'll give this some thought! Thanks for your advice!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I can relate........ (my last child is going to college in two days and it will just be me now. Lots of emotions!).

I used to love being left alone - it was a free pass to drink. When I got sober and had a day or weekend to myself, that's the first thing that popped into my mind. You can do it. The first night will be the hardest, so it's good to have a plan, have something to look forward to. I found that once I got through that initial reaction, the time went pretty fast and I really enjoyed it.

You can always come here and hang out with us.....!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Artsoul... I've been looking for things to do and ways to spend my time while they're gone. Still a little nervous, but I'm confident I'll be able to handle this! I appreciate the advice...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to be housebound, so I'd drink alone at home...now I still spend most of my days at home, but drinkings never an option anymore

no need for panic Saphira - have a plan, reach out for support and I'm sure you'll be fine

D