Notices

Rapid Recovery; AVRT

Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rapid Recovery; AVRT

I read a book recommended by SoberJennie about RR (Rapid Recovery) or AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy). It makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard or read.

If I am going to quit drinking? Why not just decide to quit FOREVER?? And, if I'm going to quit forever, why do I have to count days? FOREVER has no end...

The just of it is that most of us say "I'm going to quit drinking" and our "addictive voice or subconscious" says "yeah, sure you are". That alone gives us permission to relapse. (it also says AA sets a person up for relapse because it is expected and accepted). If you're going to quit drinking - just QUIT DRINKING FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE - FOREVER. No more meetings, no more decisions - just do it.

Of course there is more to it than that - but - I recommend it to everyone who is serious - with every fiber of their mind and being - to be sober for the rest of their lives.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I've got the book and read it. I've also been to AA and currently I'm working my own program, not exactly either of the above. I think if something fits for you and works for you than use it. To say one method is good and another is isn't is not helpful to one's recovery and disrespectful to others' for which it works. People can relapse or not relapse relying on any method. We're not perfect and neither is anything else. I hope your path keeps you sober and recovering-that's what matters.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Glad you found something that clicks for you! Good luck to you on your journey.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the key issue here is wanting to be sober more than you want to drink. It was a turning point in my life. I don't think it matters a hoot, what program you use, as long as works for you! If your intentions are to stay sober, than you will try anything, until you succeed.

IMO, I'm thrilled to hear someone is in recovery.....whatever method they use. AA, counseling, Smart, SR, the list goes on. It's wonderful we can choose what works for us. I'm happy you found your solution Grace.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many options out there, and I hope you found one you can relate to.

Good luck, and keep us updated, since I like reading good posts
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I also believe when I want to quit more than I want to drink then I stay sober but when I want to get loaded more than I want recovery then I get loaded.

As far as AA setting people up for relapse I say hog wash I know plenty of people with 30 + years that came into AA and never picked up again.

For many people AA is more than just not drinking it is a way of life. I would rather see people in AA then out driving drunk or running havoc on society like I did for many years.

Whatever works for someone I figure more power to them but, have enough respect not to knock what works for others, even if you thik its crap.

Have an awesome sober day no matter how you choose it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found something that's clicking for you and wish you all the best in your journey!

I am finding the AVRT concept really helpful for some other compulsive habits in my life besides drinking....I'm clicking with the 12-step recovery model for the alcohol issues in my life....I think SR is great because it offers this spectrum of ways to make my life better.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AVRT works for me as it's based on logic.

There's nothing wrong with me. Alcohol addiction is drug addiction. Everyone who drinks regularly is on a downward curve just like anyone who uses cocaine is on the same downward curve whether they admit it or not.

Taking it one day at a time has it's limits, in that you could decide to drink the next day. I'd rather say NO. I'm not going to drink ever again because I have no reason to drink and plenty of reasons to abstain.

To address and be conscious of 'the Beast' is to defeat it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by 725bygrace View Post
I read a book recommended by SoberJennie about RR (Rapid Recovery) or AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Therapy). It makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard or read.
Refreshing, isn't it?

RR = Rational Recovery
AVRT = Addictive Voice Recognition Technique

I recommend it to everyone who is serious - with every fiber of their mind and being - to be sober for the rest of their lives.
I do too. Some have suggested to me that AVRT is "not really" recovery, but there is no pussyfooting with AVRT. It is contingent on a "Big Plan" for permanent abstinence, regardless of conditions, because without it, you won't hear the Addictive Voice very clearly. No Big Plan, no AVRT.

When I made my "Big Plan" it read like this:
"I will never drink/use again, and I will never change my mind."
Can anyone think of anything more absolute?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
BTW, the book the OP is referring to is "Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction" by Jack Trimpey.

I also have links to additional information on AVRT, some not easily found, if anyone is interested. Feel free to PM me.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No disrespect

Sorry, no disrespect to AA or those in AA.

This was simply the first time I had seen another point of view or option. I'm sure there are many roads to recovery. I just wanted had to share because AVRT makes alot of sense to me...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I'm glad you've found what will work for you 725. I disagree with the notion that AA sets a person up for relapse, however. IMO, AA recognizes the fact that many people end up "doing more research" before they finally hit that point (if they do) that they really are ready to quit FOREVER. It serves no purpose in AA to turn our backs on anyone that does relapse. By saying it's "expected and accepted" that does not mean that it's encouraged -- it's just a fact of recovery for many and it's been my experience that AA wants the person who relapses to understand that the door will still be open to them.

Alcoholics Anonymous doesn't work for everyone. It's not perfect. But it saves lives (including mine). I'm grateful that Rational Recovery exists and works for others. That's my two cents.

--Fenris.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Why not just decide to quit FOREVER?? And, if I'm going to quit forever, why do I have to count days? FOREVER has no end...

(it also says AA sets a person up for relapse because it is expected and accepted).
That's awesome for you.....glad you've found something that's working.

and fwiw, nothing in AA's Big Book talks about relapse being part of the procedure. I've been told by some NA friends that the NA book covers "dealing with your relapses" or something to that effect but I don't have the book and haven't seen it first hand. Matter of fact, any AA stuff I've seen talks about quitting for good and for all, getting recovered, and a complete/total change of life. As for "making that decision," I've found that I made that decision to not drink plenty of times....I just didn't have the power to stick to it.

Regardless......keep working it if it's working for you. Done right, sobriety will blow your "old life" away.....hands down.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I find Rational Recovery severely offensive for a variety of different reasons. Their books aren't really books at all, but manifestos aimed at knocking AA & 12 step programs at every turn. I think that Trimpey's whole idea that one can get sober on willpower alone by denying a "voice" is irresponsible & harmful to people who are struggling with addiction. If people can stay sober using this method then more power to them, but what about the people who can't? I think that anyone that wants to stay sober has to do so with an open mind & explore all the options out there. Aren't the little voices inside our head the root of the problem that kept us drinking or using time & again? I know for a fact that my "rational" thinking can turn on me in a heartbeat &, no matter how much I want to quit, my thoughts alone are not going to keep me from getting drunk. I tried this method independently for 14 years with no results whatsoever. Ultimately, being sober is a gift no matter what program you use, but my advice to anyone is to explore all the options out there with an open mind if you want to really stop drinking or drugging once & for all.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lund1982 View Post
I find Rational Recovery severely offensive for a variety of different reasons. Their books aren't really books at all, but manifestos aimed at knocking AA & 12 step programs at every turn. I think that Trimpey's whole idea that one can get sober on willpower alone by denying a "voice" is irresponsible & harmful to people who are struggling with addiction. If people can stay sober using this method then more power to them, but what about the people who can't? I think that anyone that wants to stay sober has to do so with an open mind & explore all the options out there. Aren't the little voices inside our head the root of the problem that kept us drinking or using time & again? I know for a fact that my "rational" thinking can turn on me in a heartbeat &, no matter how much I want to quit, my thoughts alone are not going to keep me from getting drunk. I tried this method independently for 14 years with no results whatsoever. Ultimately, being sober is a gift no matter what program you use, but my advice to anyone is to explore all the options out there with an open mind if you want to really stop drinking or drugging once & for all.
I personally think its all a choice. Take a car for example. I could swear that car A is the best and it is aimed at tarnishing car B, but a person with car B might say otherwise. I think its all a personal preference. At the end of the day, as long as a method works for a person and he/she can stay sober, than its all good. We are all aiming for the same goal. The road to reach there is limitless.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

(it also says AA sets a person up for relapse because it is expected and accepted).
Have you read or studied the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous? I am absolutely sure you have not because of this statement. No where in the Big Book does it state that relapse is expected or accepted. What it does say is that many people have tried to quit on their own without success. It does not say that relapse is part of the AA program or accepted as the way of the program. People are accepted back in the program because we do not kill our wounded. Anyone who has a "desire to stop drinking" is welcome in AA. A person may make several tries at stopping their drinking before they actually stop but they are still welcome in AA.

AA does not discount or run down other programs of recovery. It does say something like "if a person can stop without the program or AA our hats are off to them".
Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Like I'd said, Suresh, I'm all for whatever keeps someone sober. I believe that using & not using are both choices. I'm not advocating any one thing or claiming that I have any idea what the best program is for someone who doesn't want to drink. What I do have a problem with, however, is a book or program using their "help" as platforms for waging war against all other programs. I don't think such things are helpful to anyone & do more harm than good. I also believe, based on my experience, that all the thinking in the world is not going to keep you sober. Help is everywhere & sometimes the best thing to do is to put your pride aside & ask for it. Additionally, it seems more rational to me that any book that claims to be "the new cure for substance addiction" should be viewed with as much skepticism as any miracle diet program seen on TV.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lund1982 View Post
You don't need willpower when you've no longer any will to use.

Sobriety is a decision. A final decision in my case. Any internal resistance to this idea originates from the primal, reckless beast within.

When it came down to it the way I stopped drinking was by stopping drinking.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry, no disrespect to AA or those in AA.

This was simply the first time I had seen another point of view or option. I'm sure there are many roads to recovery. I just wanted had to share because AVRT makes alot of sense to me...

You've had the ah-ha moment So glad this is working for you! I got your PM and sent you more links.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In my experience, ElvisInASkirt, it's a decision that's bound to change at any moment for someone who has substance abuse issues. Addiction is a cunning, baffling, & powerful thing. Our brains are lovely things, but they also have the power to deceive us, especially when you're using or struggling not to use. If there were a miracle cure for alcoholism, no one in the world would have these problems. Unfortunately, the reality is that all you need to do is look around you on any large city street to see how alcoholism & addiction are still ruining people's lives. I wonder how many such people, if given the book mentioned, would be helped by this sort of method? I've quit many times cold turkey with a determination to never drink again only to find myself back to square one when life didn't go the way I thought it should. I think that having an open mind & having the courage to ask for help are good for everyone no matter who they are. I got sober by working at it on a daily basis & doing things that weren't always comfortable for me to do, not by reading a book that demonizes things that have helped millions of others.