Notices

Rapid Recovery; AVRT

Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

AVRT, I know that you don't want it. More power to you! I was throwing it out there for people who may be struggling. I'm glad you posted those two non-offensive links, this way others can decide on the merit for themselves without any prejudice to distract from what should be the focus: recovery. I love the fact that the authors of the BB & the 12/12 have no axes to grind or flags to wave.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raindance View Post
It's simple because I have no desire to delve into picking apart different methods.

My ten foot pole is in the shop and I'm not interested in arguing one is better than the other.
Atop a 100 foot pole, how do you step forward? Shishuang
Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

when you're looking down your nose at someone, you will never see eye to eye.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

avrt

Lund, thank you for that. It is obvious that your desire is to help others in their recovery. I am not that familiar with AA. (Just what my sister and a close friend have shared with me over the years.)
The biggest obstacle - for me - is that I'm not a joiner. I don't do meetings. Trying to force myself to comply would surely set me up for failure.

... different strokes and all.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I'm recognizing my addictive voice... and everyone's addictive voice on top of that!
That is the downside of it if you are still attending recovery meetings or hanging out on recovery forums.

On the other hand, it is good practice. :-)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

725bygrace, I am not a joiner either. I didn't really see myself ever attending AA meetings or counseling or whatever before I got sober. I read Rational Recovery first time things got bad for me, but all it did for me was to make me feel holier than thou towards any other help that there might be & close my mind off. It didn't take long for me to end my dry spell after I'd finished the book. I would never recommend any sort of black & white approach to anyone who's just newly sober & still smarting from the wreckage of the past. I don't mean to sound like someone who knows what recovery is all about or what works, but I do know that if I am hurting I need to reach out & talk to people face to face about what's going on. Sure, my family & girlfriend are supportive, but I need more than that. The one thing that I have found that works for me is reaching out at AA, but there are other groups too. Give a grief or AA or whichever group meeting a shot at least once, it won't hurt!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For years, even when I was using and didn't consider myself an addict. I read all sorts of self help (for all manner of issues) and spirituality, change your life, positive thinking books. And in the end, most of them boil down to very similar things. The wording is different, or the style. Pictures taken from a different angle, or in different light but the matter is essentially similar.

This was a big help to me, when I finally decided to get and STAY clean. I didn't feel that one method contradicted another, they were basically saying the same thing, in different languages, accents, etc. So I felt like there really was no reason for me to not recover, I had been arguing semantics with MYSELF for ages. In the end, throughout humanity, in various cultures, belief systems, etc there are some things that make human life manageable and enjoyable and some things that don't. Those things are pretty similar because people are wired pretty much the same way.

I have a LOT of books by my bedside that I use in recovery. They would be found in several different sections of the book store, yet they all say essentially the same thing. I can read any of them on a given day and be forwarding myself in recovery, in though many of them don't mention addiction, or steps, or higher power, or reconditioning at all.

My recovery is not threatened by the fact that some people aren't comfortable with my method/program. My recovery is threatened if I get all bent out of shape over the fact that someone else isn't comfortable with my program.

For me, not using is very important. But I want to do more than not use. My program helps me do more than not use. I've stopped using in the past, because I chose to/wanted to. But then later I wanted to use again and chose to. I want to learn why I chose to/wanted to, so I can have more options available to me in the future. So feeling hopeless and getting tunnel vision aren't the norm for me anymore. My program is helping me with that.

I want to tell you that I will never use again. But I'm not going to say that, because I have not yet chosen to never use again no matter what. I consider it. But I know I have not made that decision. But I've made it for today.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

^

That's what I was trying to say LOL

Maybe I choose to see the similarites rather than the differences, because it's not a competition to me. Find what works and save your life.

win win.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
That is the downside of it if you are still attending recovery meetings or hanging out on recovery forums.

On the other hand, it is good practice. :-)
Agreed
Old 08-08-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I like what you said, Threshold, about all the books... I've read tons myself. And I get something from just about every one of them. Good point, yes, humans are all wired fairly similarly in the grand scheme of things.

Ironically, for me, I bought the Rational Recovery book last. And even more ironically, I stopped drinking using AVRT BEFORE I knew that Jack Trimpey wrote his book about it.

You do not have to read RR to quit. I'll be the first to say it (although I'm sure I'm not the first to say it!). The technique of AVRT isn't privy to a few. It wasn't "started" by Jack Trimpey. He's merely connecting a name with a face, so to speak.

My grandfather, who is now living into his 80's and is in good health, quit on his own at the age of 40. He drank alcoholically (passing out and vomitting into his own mouth and waking up lying in it) for many years. He quit once and never took another drink. He never cracked a book, never went into a program.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please don't continue with program bashing or the thread will be closed.

There is no need to argue with others or to defend your program as the 'best' way.

Please use PM when you choose to criticize someone else's program in any way.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I like what you said, Threshold, about all the books... I've read tons myself. And I get something from just about every one of them. Good point, yes, humans are all wired fairly similarly in the grand scheme of things.

Ironically, for me, I bought the Rational Recovery book last. And even more ironically, I stopped drinking using AVRT BEFORE I knew that Jack Trimpey wrote his book about it.

You do not have to read RR to quit. I'll be the first to say it (although I'm sure I'm not the first to say it!). The technique of AVRT isn't privy to a few. It wasn't "started" by Jack Trimpey. He's merely connecting a name with a face, so to speak.

My grandfather, who is now living into his 80's and is in good health, quit on his own at the age of 40. He drank alcoholically (passing out and vomitting into his own mouth and waking up lying in it) for many years. He quit once and never took another drink. He never cracked a book, never went into a program.
I see AVRT as a course in direct mindfulness like in Zen Buddhism, only it's so focused and concentrated on one specific aspect on life, therein lies its power.

The sun on it's own is strong enough but once you place a magnifying glass between it and a Beast then that Beast is going down!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Love that, ElvisInaSkirt! And yeah, it's very much like Zen. No wonder I'm gravitating toward Suzuki & Pema Chodron lately.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Love that, ElvisInaSkirt! And yeah, it's very much like Zen. No wonder I'm gravitating toward Suzuki & Pema Chodron lately.
Recommend any titles? I've read a lot of Alan Watts stuff and some of the popular Zen titles like Power Of Now, F*** It and what not.

I'm trying to tie Zen belief together with the Rational Recovery stuff as much as possible to create a better way of living.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yes... get The Places That Scare You by Pema Chodron. It's really phenomenally powerful.

And I'm also reading Not Always So by Shunryu Suzuki... he also has a larger group of talks made into a book called Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. I'm getting that one as well. Haven't read it yet though.

I picked up a book called Rebel Buddha by Rinpoche (Dzogchen) yesterday... skeptical of it just because of that title... but, "never judge a book by its cover" right? LOL. He seems to be pretty legit, so I might read more of that one.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by lund1982 View Post
... it seems more rational to me that any book that claims to be "the new cure for substance addiction" should be viewed with as much skepticism as any miracle diet program seen on TV.
That was not the original title of the book as Trimpey wrote it. The marketing gurus at Simon & Schuster changed the title to "RR: The New Cure" against his wishes after the publishing contract was signed.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is SO done.