Notices

Going to the doctor today...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to the doctor today...

... hoping to be able to say the truth about what's going on. Yesterday, I drank 2 bottles of wine and a half pint of vodka. I've tried before but the words don't come out. Anyone has a suggested script?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi fen3,

I dont think there is a suggested script. Why don't you try writing down what you want to say, and if it really is that hard, just pass the paper to the doctor. I don't think there's an easy way out of this. You just have to say it out to the doctor. For the doctor to be really able to help you a 100%, you need to be a 100% truthful.

I know its hard, but you have to pull up the courage to spit it out. You and only you know whats going on. Its just once, and you have the hope and means to get better. Isn't that so much more rewarding than to continue drinking, much much more since you already made up your mind to see the doctor.

You can do it! I have hope and I will pray for you as so will the rest of us. Best of luck and do let us know how it goes with the doctor.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just tell the truth fen
Drs can't help you if they only know half the story - be totally honest.

It'll be ok

D
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unless you have another, more pressing (hard to imagine), medical issue... Make it the very first thing you say after your hello. Get it out before you have had time to think about it. This is also important because the doctor isn't going to have as much time to spend with you if you finally get the courage to bring it up at the end of the visit.

Also, if you are more comfortable with the nurse or medical assistant who brings you back to the exam room, just mention that you want to talk to the doctor about something very important... you can either tell him or her that it's about your drinking, or that you are embarrassed and that you will tell the doctor directly.

They are on your side!!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was scared stiff about going to my Dr. He was great, non judgemental and the fear was definitely worse than the fact (isn't that always the way, it's the way our minds work)

I had played it out so many times in my head, not once had it gone the way it did in reality

Be brave, you can do it xx
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You've made a good decision. I agree with previous posts, you will receive maximum benefits by being totally honest. And of course it is scary, but you can do it.

How about, "I'm not happy with my recent drinking pattern and want to change, but it's been very hard to do on my own." Your doc should take it from there with appropriate questions and suggestions.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'v had a couple of Drs that I told. I just told them my drinking was a problem to me and wanted to quit. It was a health issue like any other and they were very supportive and helpful. One was in AA and had been for years.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Hey fen -- if you find it impossible to bring up ... maybe write it down and hand it to the doc? Either way, in my experience, it felt great once I came clean to my doctors about my drinking habits. It was freeing.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by fen3 View Post
... hoping to be able to say the truth about what's going on. Yesterday, I drank 2 bottles of wine and a half pint of vodka. I've tried before but the words don't come out. Anyone has a suggested script?
Yes, can be hard to get those words out for the first time. I started 10 times before "I think I'm an alcoholic" came out my mouth. I kept saying "I think I'm an aaaaa........." Oh, it is SO hard!

But it must be done, so make up your mind to do it and if you have a few false starts, don't give up. And if you can't make the words come out of your mouth, write it on a piece of paper and hand it to the doctor. Your doctor can't help if s/he doesn't know what the problem is!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good for you Fen!

All I would say is "I've decided I drink too much/have a drinking problem." The doc should take it from there.

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went the Doctor route and it's generally a good idea. If it helps, talk about other reasons why you are there first. That's what I did. It was a normal visit and we went over the normal stuff. Then I added my drinking problem after I was comfortable.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good luck fen.... I agree with ttpb that the fear is always worse than the reality, so go for it and be proud that you're doing the right thing.

It's tempting to want to put it in "nice" terms, but I don't think that would be wise in this case. So, don't downplay it. Just tell the whole truth- that's the only way your doctor can know how serious this is for you. And remember that doctor's see alcoholism every day, mostly in the form of denial - they probably love it when someone comes in and truly wants help.

We're behind you!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your doctor will not be surprised. It's not new information. It's not unusual. It is entirely possible the s/he is an alcoholic as well.

Say: "I need help quitting drinking."

That way you don't have to say anything about yourself. You say what you need. The doctor will be all over it.

Good luck! You can do this. There are harder things to tell a doctor.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good idea on telling your Doctor. Just tell him everything about your drinking. Don't obsess about it, he has heard it before. It's the only way your drinking will get better.

If you really want to "go for it" on the way home from your doctor's office stop at an AA meeting and tell them you are a newcomer.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

You CAN do it!

Today, and for years, it's the first thing I tell any doc.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I DID IT! Thanks for all of your support. By the time he came into the office I was "over ready", I started crying and it all came out. He was beyond understanding and non-judgmental. Made it clear that the number one thing he wanted me to do is not to drive if I drank (sounds simple enough). Next he ordered some blood tests and ask me to read "The Big Book". Didn't even tell me to stop drinking (weird!). He will see me again next week. Big hug at the end of the visit and I think he was also teary eyed!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Awesome fen! I'm so proud of you!!

How did it feel to be so honest with someone about your drinking?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fen3 View Post
I DID IT! Thanks for all of your support. By the time he came into the office I was "over ready", I started crying and it all came out. He was beyond understanding and non-judgmental. Made it clear that the number one thing he wanted me to do is not to drive if I drank (sounds simple enough). Next he ordered some blood tests and ask me to read "The Big Book". Didn't even tell me to stop drinking (weird!). He will see me again next week. Big hug at the end of the visit and I think he was also teary eyed!
YES YES YES!! I knew you could do it Fen!! I'm so happy and proud! See, it wasn't so hard was it?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats! You did absolutely right thing for yourself.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your post got me teary. Can feel your relief. Soooo happy for you! You have turned a page.