Notices

Day 2...made it past day 1!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Day 2...made it past day 1!

Hi everyone,

I'm giving it a go again. I've posted several times about day 1 - and haven't made it past day 4 yet, so I skipped posting yesterday! I'm not superstitious, I swear! For the last month and a half, I've been trying to quit - I'll make it 2-4 days and pick up again. This cycle has repeated four or so times. I keep finding "excuses" to drink: A party, a holiday, a vacation, etc. Well, I have no "excuses" coming up for the next few months (my birthday is in October - which may be a difficult day to abstain - but I'll worry about it then).

Yesterday was fine. I had some crazy dreams last night, but nothing bad. I don't think detox will be too bad. Since I first started trying to quit in June, I at least haven't been drinking daily, so I think the worst I'll get is some night sweats, insomnia and weird dreams.

Although I'm not trying to take on too much right now, I am trying to eat healther and get some exercise. I started a running program a few weeks ago called Couch to 5k - which is supposed to help a person to get from couch potato to able to run a 5k (a little more that 3 miles) in like 9 weeks. After I first had my daughter 2 years ago I actually completed the program and ran 3 miles 4 days per week. Then the weather got hot and I got lazy. I have a treadmill now - so no excuses!

I'll keep posting. I notice the more I read and post, the less I want to drink!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Keep trying and just take it one day at a time.
Once you get a few days behind you, you'll feel much better.

And, yes, keep posting!

Best to you.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Amanda

D
Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Amanda!!! Keep going! Me too have posted about my 1st day a few times now, but the past is the past, TODAY you're on your new day as sober and that's all that counts! I am also on my 1st day after relapsing yesterday and i intend to wake up tomorrow and get through my secon¨d! Let's do it together!!

We CAN do it! :day6
Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go, nothing like day to following day one. Thanks for posting on your progress.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok Laanisa - Let's do it!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great!! Makes me so happy!!!!!

Today i've been stocking up on healthy nutritious food, been sitting out on the balcony reading on SR, watching celebrity rehab with Dr Drew and am listenting to the stories, feeling with them and getting the messages. We're all able to do it, we are ALL worth to be free from this disease!

Look forward to hearing about your next day of freedom!! I will tell you about mine!!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did have a rough moment today. I was in my sock drawer looking for socks to run in, and I found a bottle of vodka stashed there. The worst part was that I immediately checked to see if there was any left in the bottle. It was like a reflex or something. Luckily it was empty; I'm not sure I would have been able to resist!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes i understand that must have been very hard.

I am struggling with this too and have been thinking of´how i am going to manage staying sober finally this time for long enough to really start feeling the benefits and get mentally stronger (I usually last for 3 days tops!)

I know i will have to completely avoid meeting up with anyone i can't be honest with about what i am going through so any old drinking buddies or any social gathering with drinks and aquintances are out , for now and forever! But i don't want to isolate myself or stop enjoying myself as i think it would make it worse? I also want to be able to be around alcohol and choose not to drink it as i KNOW i don't want it.

i've just moved back to Sweden from the UK and am staying with my nan for a couple of weeks and she has wine here and I am alone in the house for the weekend, i was worried about this first but has been too determined today to even look at it. Tomorrow i am meeting up with a friend and we would normally go catch up with some drinks, it will be my next challenge. I would love to return from my meeting with her happy and proud that i said no and had a good time rather than staying at home avoiding her.......i am not sure if this will work though, i am just going to have to take one day at a time or rather one moment a time and be humble and honest with myself to choose the right thing

Its normal to have rough moments, i am so glad you got out of it sober and that you're here posting!

Nite from Sweden, see you for a sober day tomorrow!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Met a normal person at the end of the AA ice cream social. She & hubby "have been working on that bottle" of liquor since they opened it "back in, oh, 2006." WHAT?!!!

The hostess is an alanon & the normie was her HS friend!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sugarbear - that's funny. That's exactly how my parents and my in-laws are....a bottle of alcohol wouldn't last 2 days here (depending on size, of course).

Laanisa: Good thinking with keeping it one day at a time, or rather one minute at a time. having those bottles of wine would definitely be tricky for me. I guess, though, knowing they don't belong to me would help me resist. Also, wanting my nan proud of me would too.

I have never watched Celebrity Rehab, but I've been a fan of Dr. Drew since his radio days. I remember listening to Love Line in bed after my lights were supposed to be out throughout junior high and high school.

Well, I made it through the night. I had a hard time sleeping. Usually I take something like benadryl or melatonin to help me sleep. My doctor prescribed me ambien, but I'm out of it and too scared to call her for a refill until my next scheduled appointment in a few weeks. Once I did fall asleep, the dreams were pretty nuts. No sweats or anything.

I have to go to the supermarket today to buy some food for dinner. Then I'm going to take my daughter to a park that has different sprinklers and water fountains for her to play in. It's so hot here, that I've just kept us cooped up in the house until evening. We need to get out. My husband will be home from work early tonight, making this evening much easier than yesterday. He doesn't drink really at all. Rather, he's a social/"normal" drinker. He can take it or leave it and he's very supportive of me quitting. Besides laundry, that's about all I have planned today.

I hope your day goes well and you had a good night!

Amanda
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I did have a rough moment today. I was in my sock drawer looking for socks to run in, and I found a bottle of vodka stashed there. The worst part was that I immediately checked to see if there was any left in the bottle. It was like a reflex or something. Luckily it was empty; I'm not sure I would have been able to resist!
Hi Amanda, 1st off congrats to day 2! And yes, its like a reflex. I've had it before (very very recently, just read on :P ). Alcohol is a big NO-NO in my home, so i usually stash my vodka in those mineral water bottles.. This happened to me just about like yesterday. I was cleaning up my room and i saw an empty mineral bottle. Instead of throwing it away, 1st thing i did was open it and smell it, you know, to make sure is it water or vodka, and true enough it was vodka, there were about say 10-15 drops still remaining upon closer inspection. I took it out of my house, lit a smoke, and while smoking, i lit a piece of paper and let it fall down the bottle... It was nice to see the burning effect of that ever so little amount of vodka, kinda made me wonder what it was doing to my insides. Thanks god i've stopped! I've not gone far, just gonna be done with day 6 and moving on to day 7, but its something! And you can do it too!!

Wishing you all the best!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Celebrity rehab is funny. I've been to a rehab!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

That vodka bottle didn't explode?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Woohoo!! Kickin butt and takin names! Alright good to hear my California sister! Keep moving forward! Your life is about to change, and you barely know it yet, but you will!

-Ryan
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
That vodka bottle didn't explode?
Haha no.. as i said to cover up my vodka drinking i empty the bottle into a plastic mineral bottle. All that happened was a nice fire and then a melted plastic bottle :P
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great start. I might check out the Couch to 5K thingy.

I love that once we have found SR, even if we lapse and lapse, we have a place to return to. I'm sure that consciousness itself is almost enough.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Suresh - burning that bottle of vodka seems like a very symbolic gesture. Good Job! I hope you're able to get to sleep tonight. I know you've had some trouble.

Sugarbear- I'll have to check out celebrity rehab. I'm sure there's repeats on all the time. My guilty pleasure is Jersey Shore (actually I have a few). Nothing makes me want to abstain from alcohol than watching those fools (rich fools,now) run around!

Thanks Ryan! Yay California! I was born and raised in So Cal, but it's too expensive there, so now I'm stuck in the central valley, or as I like to call it, The armpit of California!!!

Missy - C25k is awesome. Just google it. There are also apps for phones that you can download that allow you to play your own music while also instructing you on how to run. The program starts really easy but gets significantly harder around week 5. I'm on week 3! Good luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi amandaw,

1st of, nope, didn't get a good sleep. I've come to terms with it though. I know its just a phase and it will pass, sooner or later (hopefully sooner!) How are things going? Good i hope!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Made it past day 3! I'm also feeling great! It's amazing how much fun I've had with my daughter also. I used to look forward to putting her to sleep so that I could get that bottle open. Now that that's not an option, I don't think about drinking, I think about enjoying my time with her. I was snuggling with her last night and I started feeling really bad. I was such a slave to alcohol. I didn't really enjoy her like I should have. I was hungover 2-3 days per week and tired every other day. Well, that's not happening anymore. I'm going to be sober for her from now on! She deserves it!

So I'm starting day four. In the two-ish months I've tried getting sober I've never made it through day 4. This time, though, it's going to happen. I can feel it. Heck, I know it. My husband is off work today. So we're going to drop our daughter off at her daycare and have a date day. We're going to go to lunch at a mexican restaurant and go bowling. Both are places that I've consumed a lot of alcohol, but since my husband doesn't drink, avoiding it should be easy.

Suresh-sleep will come. I'm glad you understand that. Good Luck today! What day are you on? You're doing great!