Notices

Foodies, help!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What have you been telling yourself up until now? If you've been successful so far with it, then just keep telling yourself the same things. For me... It would be: I do not drink. I will never drink again.

I am a foodie and former wine drinker. But... I chose to never drink again, so the foodie places and situations are no exception. Enjoy your mineral or sparkling water! Get some lemon and lime slices.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Symmetry--Thanks for the link. I will check them out!

SoberJennie--I have been telling myself the same thing: "I don't drink. I will never drink again. I enjoy being sober." However, some situations are tougher than others for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey there are lots of great drinks at foodie places usually with the word nectar or pure around the names. I love a hot mulled non-alcoholic cider, and pure fruit smoothies too. Some even cost as much as the alcoholic drinks. Don't forget the iced teas and coffes like a frappacino or iced cappuchino. Anyway have a happy anniversary and weekend.

Here's another link:
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/summer-s...ks/detail.aspx

Thanks for prompting me to think about some drinks I haven't enjoyed in a loooong time.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Why not also think about getting an over-the-top entree or multi-course meal? Splurge on the actual food, since you won't be spending money on wine or drinks. And the dessert suggestion is good also. Get a really decadent dessert or something.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Itchy--thanks so much for the tips and the link to the recipes. I think I need to make a watermelon slush!

SoberJennie--I definitely plan to go all out with the food. :-)

I went out last night to a bar with friends, had club soda, and was fine. It was nice to focus on the conversation rather than obsessing over why the waiter wasn't fast enough in bringing my drinks. So I'm getting the hang of this. :-)
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi and congrats on your Anniversary.

I Wont lie and say it was easy...it definitely took a little getting used to not drinking when eating, especially special meals. Now, When I cook at home, I have some gourmet Ginger mixer that I add to my seltzer and drink from my crystal...it's fabulous. Sadly, restaurants rarely have much in the way of non alcoholic beverages except for soda and maybe iced tea.

Sometimes I will ask the bar tender if he feels like trying to come up with something for me...it works well maybe 1/4 of the time.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi BodhiTree,

So how did the anniversary go? Excellent i hope, and how was the food, without the alcohol?? We foodies want details on the food!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Femme, what ginger syrup do you use? Is it made by GingerPeople? I LOVE ginger!

Suresh, I got sick mid-week last week and still wasn't feeling well Sunday so we cancelled our reservations. We are going to reschedule for a few weeks from now so I'll be sure to report in on how it goes!

Thanks everyone, for your support and input.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Mindful Eating - that reminds me of an essay by Ram Dass, aka Dr. Richard Alpert. It was called "Murder in the Kitchen" and spoke to cooking everything with the greatest of care since it had given it's life to nourish us. We shouldn't commit murder at the table either for the same reaqson.