Notices

Four-day weekend coming up

Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four-day weekend coming up

So I've been keeping good since deciding to quit on August 1. It wasn't hard for me... I am (was!) a weekend warrior. Get stone drunk on Saturday, recover Sunday, go to work. I have no problem staying sober if I'm at home... but man, friends call wanting to 'hang out'... it's so hard to not drink.

But I feel like I need to be able to say no. That's why I'm here. I've gone into plenty of social situations saying I won't get drunk... I'll just have one and drive home... and it never happened. I'd buy everyone's booze just so they could be drunk with me, so I didn't feel ashamed of it. What's worse is that I'm such a functional drunk, nobody cares if I do it or not.

I used to be even more addicted to fast food, and tonight I went with my friends to a fast food joint, watched them ate, and didn't want any. Booze has been way tougher. Alcoholism and addictive/obsessive personality are in my genes hardcore.

So I'm trying to exercise mind over body. I've got a four day weekend coming up... it will be a definite trial.

MM
Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MathMajor

The common thread running through all my drinking history - from starting as aweekend warrior to becoming a daily drinker - is I could never say no to my friends.

When it came down to it, I wanted to be like them - no matter how much the evidence of my problem and negative consequences piled up.

I needed to make a choice - sobriety or my lifestyle.
My body eventually chose for me.

Away from the gang I did some really serious thinking - my head finally cleared and I realised what I really wanted above all, was to not be that guy living that life anymore.

You've been sober 4 days. There'll be other trips and other long weekends.

Maybe you need some time out from the gang to think too?
D
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

In early recovery I needed to take break from my old routine until I established myself in sobriety.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Learning to say 'NO' when I began recovery was life-changing for me. I realized that I could think what was important to me, rather than what other people wanted me to do.

And, changing your routines can be so helpful.