Notices

Why did you drink?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why did you drink?

I think for me, I'm a sensation seeker. I LIKED the feeling of intoxication whether booze or something else. Over time, it became habit, and finally addiction. Once addicted, I used it for everything from curing boredom, celebration, relaxation, block out anxiety...etc. Why did you use? Now, to find new experiences that don't involve altering of the brain with chemical poisons.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the beginning I drank because I liked the feeling it gave me.

At the end I drank because I had too.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hardtofind...you read my mind! Everything you said was me...but like Zebra it went from want to, to have to.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eventually it became enjoyable to become a fricking vegetable. Booze made me sick the first few times I drank enough to get buzzed. I don't get it... I kept trying to perfect being a human "cabbage."

Rolling my car with my kids in it... well, how much more of a wake up call does one need?

Just finally went to court for my dui on Monday... almost a year after the dui, the total costs are staggering. Just blows me away how much booze cost me.

But that night, my children (18 and 14) were unscratched and I was beaten up, which was appropriate for being a jackass. I swore to my God and to myself I wouldn't drink ever again. On the 14th of this month, it will be a year without a drop of alcohol crossing my lips. And I am thankful.

It's not always an addiction. Don't be fooled by what people tell you. For some, even thought they don't know it, it's a DECISION. Deciding never to do something again as long as you live, and greeting it with optimism, accepting the changes that our bodies and minds go through is a good thing. Deciding to do something comes naturally to all of us. Deciding NOT to drink isn't really deciding "not" to do something, but it's deciding to DO something differently, by drinking anything under the sun except for the ones with alcohol in them.

It took me almost killing my children, my daughters little puppy and myself, to find peace of mind and freedom to live again.

I have to put a interlock device in my car for 6 months, then it's all over. ALL OVER! I will never be there again.

Drinking has cost me a lot, but in the last year, Its costed me around TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS because of this. Car written off with all the coverage, except comprehensive =12 plus K, Attorney 5k, fine and court costs 2k, interlock device for 6 months 456 plus 162 installation, Hardship license 200 for the DMV santions against me and 100 for the court renewal, then there's all the work missed, etc... and who knows what my insurance will do now that the court case is over....

Give it up!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank because I learned at a very young age that it's how you have fun. I learned that drinking meant success, and sex, and relaxation. It made me macho and tough. I dedicated my life to drinking because of these beliefs.

I have since realized that it was all a lie.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I drank mostly because I was uncomfortable. I was always uncomfortable about something. Alcohol seemed to make things righter somehow, until it finally turned against me.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank because i was a chef.....All chefs are chain smoking,divorced alcoholics.....
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I enjoyed the numb, the relaxation, the not having to deal with anything. I've finally realized numb and feeling less is not anyway to go through life.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank because all my friends did in high school
I drank because I was finally old enough to go to a bar
I drank because a lot of people I worked with, went out after work and drank
I drank because I thought I was being social
I drank because my boyfriend drank
I drank because when I got married my husband drank
I drank because I was married
I drank when my husband hit me
I drank when my husband would disappear for weeks
I drank because I left my husband
I drank because of my divorce
I drank because I bought a foreclosure

I could find an excuse for every time I drank, even the times that I hid a case of beer in my closet, and drank them warm.

I drank, because I am an alcoholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amy55 pretty has the exact and specific reason anyone drank. Anything was a reason, no? LMAO

What a brainf@#k acohol is.

Started drinking at 19 (legally) and next month I'm 48 and none of that matters, because on the 14th of this month, I'm one year SOBER by choice!

I SPY WITH MY LITTLE EYE, SOMETHING THAT IS SOBRIETY!!! lol

Decisions in life... to snort or not to snort. To have unprotected sex or not to have unprotected sex, to evade taxes or to pay them, to continue drinking alcohol or to choose other beverages to stack the fridge with and sip on all night. That's all I did! Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank because it's who I become, now I’m lost, I stayed in bed till 4 PM sleeping almost 13 hours on and off last might. I'd almost prefer the hangover.

I have no friends, I work alone, and not even my wife or kids question my staying in bed so long. I’ve isolated myself to the point it hurts.

I’ve hurt myself for so long drinking; now being sober at times is painful.

I know drinking will only restart all this from the beginning, but sometimes I just want to forget all of this being sober stuff, its utter crap at times.

But, then I ask myself, why I drank?

It was like this automatic switch, no matter how bad things got, I could use it…

Why did I stop drinking? To not feel like I do today anymore, to not have to depend on alcohol anymore, thank god there are only a few days like this, it used to be I had to drink everyday not to feel this way.

This too shall pass...
Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To escape, because I didn't like who I was.

I'm so glad I like me again.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Hardtofind View Post
... Why did you use?
I have gone around and around many times with this question. There were dozens of reasons I guess. I drank when I felt bad, I drank when I felt good, I drank when I had no idea how I felt.

However, from a recovery stand-point, the best reason, is the one I need to address to stay sober. I drank because I am a "Alcoholic".
Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank thinking it was "me" time after a hard day of motherhood. I'm a SAHM with small kids. I used them as an excuse to relax with wine in the evening. Such a lie.

That "me" time actually sucked the me right out of me...if that makes sense!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I used because I just didn't want to face what my life had become, what I had become. it kept me from having to admit, accept and deal with reality.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I enjoyed it until it turned against me. Today
there wouldnt be enough alcohol in this world
to satisfy my cravings for it. To drink would
mean to die.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
heartofamama

life management.
take the edge off.
want to forget.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drank because I enjoyed the buzz at first. I had a lot of fun. Then I drank to get rid of hangovers. And at the end, I drank because I felt like I was going to die from withdraws if I didn't. I quit because I thought I was going to die if I didn't. I am sure I would have.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I drank simply for the pleasurable feeling. I got really hooked on that feeling and just didn't want to give it up.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I drank originally to overcome shyness, then purely for the buzz, then habbit, then addiction, near the end I think I was accepting that it was going to kill me and the scary part is, I was becoming ok with it. it took me a while to get the courage to really fight back.