# 41 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I drank to 'help' my depression and anxiety
to feel numb
to block out feelings
to feel comfortable
to get a buzz or get drunk
That pretty much sums it up for me! Anything to avoiding feelings and self-medicate.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I drank because I discovered a way to numb out to my depression and anxiety. I didn't want to let that feeling go. It eventually took control of me and caused so many more problems for me.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

When I first started drinking...at 13 it was just for fun...to rebel.....and that lasted into my late twenties...then it took a turn....drinking wasn't fun anymore...my life was going down the tubes in my early 30's....from one abusive relationship to another...money troubles....so I drank to escape all of that....to try and cope I guess....of course life didn't get any better...then my dad passed away...and I drank myself into oblivion...ended up with a dui in 2010....so all in all i drank to numb out....hide my emotions...I have been sober 19 months, and I don't hide anymore!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I drank because I am an alcoholic. I think on some level I always knew the distruction that would ensue, because of my drinking. I just liked the effect so much that the idea that it would distroy my life became an abstract idea. I always drank to excess. No matter what the reason. No matter location. I was always sick and remorseful the next day, so it wasn't long before booze became my morning pick me up. I was aware that issues with my alcohol consumtion were ill, but I was not ready to look at myself and my life, till I could no longer, not look at things, unless I truely wanted to die, and at the end I did. The element of fun with drinking lasedt a very short time for me. Even the fun years were riddled with one night stands, waking up in strange places, passed out in cars. Sick and vomiting all the next day. Good times yet I continued for 30 years.
A very powerful drug
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thinking it over a bit more, a lot depends on how you ask the question. So if you ask me "What made you start drinking?" I'd say that most of my friends were drinking. Then if you ask, "Why did you start to drink differently from your friends?" well that really gets into the nitty gritty- genetics, personality characteristics, lifestyle, depression- the list is endless. Then ask, "Why didn't you stop?" One answer is that things hadn't gotten bad enough. I thought I could still handle it. Then ask, "Then did there come a time when you couldn't stop?" I'd say yes to this. There came a time when I was scared to death of what might happen if I quit. And I had every right to feel this way since, unless I had help, stopping cold turkey could have had very serious and possibly fatal consequences.
So much of it depends on when and how the question is asked. I agree that it's more important to ask and discover how to stop than to ask "why?" but it's always useful to explore the why since it may lend a clue to the "how".

W.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

to connect, to disconnect, to feel something, to feel nothing, to relax, to recharge, to have love, to forget love - there was always a reason to drink.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I drank too feel like i was the life of the party ....and then it just became controling where i had too drink too feel normal
Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newstart75 View Post
to connect, to disconnect, to feel something, to feel nothing, to relax, to recharge, to have love, to forget love - there was always a reason to drink.

Totally agree with this one!!!

I have a lot of reasons for doing it, my main one TO GET DRUNK!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Taste of beer, buzz, to enhance my sociability, boredom, and it became habitual.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I started drinking because I enjoyed it, and because I liked it. It had a soothing effect, and helped in social situations; it was the cool thing to do. Eventually it became a daily habit, a daily routine. Nothing wrong with that, right? Nothing wrong with sitting on the deck every night listening to the radio and downing a 12 pack plus, only to get more if I didn't catch the feeling I was looking for. Eventually I drank because my BODY needed it, not just me. My body would be so out of whack if I didn't get to that alcohol that I could hardly stand it, that's when it became an addiction.

My body is learning now to live without it, and it is becoming very pleased with itself lately, and I hope to not let it down.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

I remember when I was in the 2nd grade we had some kids from the high school come by and do one of those lectures on the dangers of drinking and drugging. And by the time it was all over I can still remember all the kids in the class room saying they would never touch the stuff, except me. 7 year old kid I was saying I can't wait to try drinking and drugs. Because at the time my Brothers who were in high school already were doing just that. They use to have parties all the time in the basement with their other friends drinking and sharing these strange rolled up cigarettes with each other then after that put it back in a baggie with others like it, then everybody would light up a normal cigarette (yeah I came to find out what that was later in life)
But they had all these cool friends and hot girlfriends, said and did whatever they pleased and I couldn't wait to be a part of it! And no dorks were going to tell me otherwise!

Long story short I got my wish. I got older and found me a pack of my own friends and we partied together all the time and I took great pride that no one in the group could out drink me, it was like my right into (phony) manhood. Time went by and some of the guys went their separate ways some of them still doing the same thing but most went on to college, work, marriage and family life and weren't all that crazy about hanging out with the drunk anymore. And eventually just lost touch with all of them. So I just kept up doing what I do best and not caring about much anything else. I eventually moved out of my home town up here to Kansas City where besides family I know no one and been spending these last 4 years drinking alone and not even concerned about meeting new drinking buddies. I occasionally get curious and have looked up people I've known from back then and get pretty depprsed at seeing how well they are doing. I mean I'm happy for them but it makes me look at myself and realize I haven't gone to far since dropping out of high school to become a full time drinker.

As I mentioned in a previous thread drinking doesn't even have that magic effect on me much anymore, it just turns me into a living breathing shell that shuts down all but the most vital bodily functions and brain functions. It's so bad I was suppose to have a date with a girl a while back but I blew it off because I would rather get drunk then be sober and try to charm the little lady. But I've had horrible luck dating in the last few years that I usually don't hear from them after the first date or two, so I saved a few steps and my precious drinking money while at it.

So it started off as fun. Then habit. And then just......whatever you want to call that sad dark corner I drank myself into.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

For me it was all about my inhibition. I was not introverted as a kid, but fairly shy. It made me something I wasnt.

Shame it took me so long to realise that what I wasnt is not who I am.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I drank because it made me not give a damn about anything. Now that's the reason i needed to stop!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I drank because i was a chef.....All chefs are chain smoking,divorced alcoholics.....
Why can't I get chef Ramsey outta my head now?!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think I drink because of boredom. Also because I've never really fit in with people. I'm not the average married/had kids/went to college/etc person. I feel sometimes that it is so unfair that I can be friends with someone who has kids but not as good as that person is friends with other people who have children. There is an automatic bond there because of the shared experience. Don't get me wrong, I do have some great friends and I chose not to have children. And I seem to attract losers, which I am intent on not going with the flow of that anymore. So loneliness plays a factor too. I'm sure it's a combination of many little things.