Notices

anti depressants- thoughts?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anti depressants- thoughts?

what do you guys think? ive been on prozac for 3 years and decided to start weening off a few weeks back...now that I am trying to stay sober do you think I should stick with the pills for awhile?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem10 View Post
what do you guys think? ive been on prozac for 3 years and decided to start weening off a few weeks back...now that I am trying to stay sober do you think I should stick with the pills for awhile?
I would definitely ask your doctor about that. You may even need them more now than before. Also, you can't just stop prozac. That might put you right back to drinking.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only you and your doctor know the answer to that question.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Definitely talk to your doctor first. I will say this...taking anti-depressants while drinking is nothing but a waste of time and money. Booze completely negates any benefit you might receive from the medication. I wish I had back all the money I spent on anti-depressants during my drinking career.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your post made me think. I actually did the same thing, but it wasn't anti-depressants, I was on klonopin for panic attacks, and anxiety, low dosage, and seroquel as a sleep-aid, also low dosage. I weaned off 3 months ago because the doctor I was going to was over 2 hours away. I was thinking that maybe I should find a Doctor here.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As above with doctor &/or therapist. I've been on several antidepressants and anxiety meds along with my self medication. Today I'm off all but not overnight. I find not drinking combined with proper diet, exercise, mental and spiritual practice alleviates my depression and anxiety much more effectively than did all my meds.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One can never know for sure but like others have said consulting with your doc so he/she knows what you're up do can only help your situation. You've been on Prozac for quite some time so all the more reason to consult. I was on Prozac for about 4yrs - loved that med! LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

As others have said, talk to your doctor.

I'm nearly three years sober and am still on my anti-depressants. They work for me.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm at 16 days sober, and I just went to see my doctor to get MORE meds. I know I was supplementing my meds with booze because I felt I needed more "medicating."

I once decided to stop taking my anti-depressants. In a matter of weeks, I was a complete mess. Like everyone else says, talk to your doctor about it. I'm not sure *why* you want to quit your Prozac, but be honest with your doctor and see what they have to say.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to agree with everyone else that you should consult with your doctor. I actually went to my first appointment with my doctor about a month ago to get help dealing with the quitting alcohol thing, and he put me on Prozac. I know it's a different situation because you have been taking them while drinking, but my depression/anxiety was a huge reason I drank so the Prozac is helping me quite a bit. I would say that the Prozac either has been working differently when combined with alcohol or not at all so I wouldn't give up on it too quickly, unless there's a good reason. I am no doctor, however...just my thoughts on it. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was put on celexa when I quit drinking in May (only lasted 60 days that time). I believe it is helping me tremendously with the anxiety. I am not quitting anything else until I am comfortable with my sobriety. Then the smokes and caffeine are going. But as others have said, talk to your doctor.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

add another vote for discussing this with your Dr, CD

D
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

You've got to talk this one over with your doctor--we're not qualified to give you medical advice.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, it is important to talk with the doctor. You cannot simply stop antidepressants.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
I was put on celexa when I quit drinking in May (only lasted 60 days that time). I believe it is helping me tremendously with the anxiety. I am not quitting anything else until I am comfortable with my sobriety. Then the smokes and caffeine are going. But as others have said, talk to your doctor.
I'm on Celexa too, 40mg. For me it's a lifesaver. I wouldn't even consider asking to go off it. I've been sober without it and was an obsessive, deeply depressed mess. The Celexa helps my anxiety and at least gives me the desire to get out of bed in the morning to go out and rebuild my life with people and activities to try to help myself get away from ruminating on every little thing that's ever happened to me.

To the OP- I also agree that only a Dr. can guide you really. My two cents is that it sounds a little risky going off the meds right now, you'll be putting yourself through an awful lot. I'm 4 days sober and I know from past experience that without medication I would be in a very dark place right now. But that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you and your Dr. decide.

Edited to add: I love your Dalai Lama quote.

Last edited by backbeat; 09-05-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added something.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Taking Prozac for that long and wanted to stop or weening off should be talk to your doctor. These drugs are design to help with different type of disorder which is why your doctor give them to you. If they are not work then that's a different story but if you want to stop taking it just because you want to have a complete sober lifestyle is very risky business. You may get worst and go back to alcohol to help with your disorder and does it harder then before.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
As above with doctor &/or therapist. I've been on several antidepressants and anxiety meds along with my self medication. Today I'm off all but not overnight. I find not drinking combined with proper diet, exercise, mental and spiritual practice alleviates my depression and anxiety much more effectively than did all my meds.
I just have to second this times a million. But no two people are the same. Meds are meant to be used as a stepping stone while you gather and practice using your emotional tools. Anti depressants/anxiety meds are not a practical life long tool. Also, while taking these types of meds people should be in active therapy with a plan to get off. I am grateful that I understood this while taking paxil. I have several people in my life who are dependent on anti this and that for emotional management. I've noticed that there is no perfect cure. True happiness lays within. If I were on meds right now, I would have a serious chat with my therapist and come up with a plan to get off of them. I hope you find the courage necessary to do what you believe is right for you.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Taking Prozac for that long and wanted to stop or weening off should be talk to your doctor. These drugs are design to help with different type of disorder which is why your doctor give them to you. If they are not work then that's a different story but if you want to stop taking it just because you want to have a complete sober lifestyle is very risky business. You may get worst and go back to alcohol to help with your disorder and does it harder then before.

Good luck!
And I agree with this point as well. Sanity is a tight rope. Peace, love and happiness to you
Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You have to talk to your doctor.

But now that you're sober, you can really assess the effectiveness of the anti-depressant. Before, the picture was clouded.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
I just have to second this times a million. But no two people are the same. Meds are meant to be used as a stepping stone while you gather and practice using your emotional tools. Anti depressants/anxiety meds are not a practical life long tool. Also, while taking these types of meds people should be in active therapy with a plan to get off. I am grateful that I understood this while taking paxil. I have several people in my life who are dependent on anti this and that for emotional management. I've noticed that there is no perfect cure. True happiness lays within. If I were on meds right now, I would have a serious chat with my therapist and come up with a plan to get off of them. I hope you find the courage necessary to do what you believe is right for you.
For situational anxiety and depression, meditation, exercise, diet, and therapy are fine. For those that have a chemical imbalance that require life long anti depressants, that is not only ineffective, but dangerous. No amount of meditation is going to help a person diagnosed with bipolar disorder get through a manic or depressive episode. No amount of therapy is going to help a person with severe clinical depression stop feeling so depressed that they want to kill themselves. I am fortunate that I am only taking my medication for a short period of time. Some are not so fortunate.