Notices

Here we go...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go...

I have been bouncing around this site for a few days, it seems to provide a lot of help to a lot of people in the same boat I am in. So here we go... I started my drinking/drugging at 14. My parents put me in inpatient Re hab at an early age, 17, and I learned all about AA and recovery. Like most 17 yo boys there was nothing I couldn't handle. Well here we are 20 years later and I can finally admit I have a problem. I drink on a daily basis, have been since I was 21. Some days 4-5 beers, some days a half bottle of vodka. I probably black out from drinking at least once a week, hiding most of it from my wife and kids. I learned a ton about this disease when I was young. I know all about denial, rationalization, etc... And I am king at both! The one thing I know is I will lose my family, and possibly my life if I dont do something. I have tried cutting back, etc... Always leads back to daily drinking.
It wont be easy, I cant imagine doing all I used to do, always w/ a drink in hand, and not drinking (golfing, fishing, work events, nice dinners, etc...) I really look forward to learning from you all and hopefully I can help some people as well along the way. I feel better already.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!

I just joined here today. I come from a background of drug abuse - I am now nearly 15 years off meth. I never really was a heavy drinker until about 12 years ago. I had worked up a habit of half a giant bottle of jagermeister a night, and I'd drink even more on the weekends. I felt like crap constantly. Today marks day 3 of my do-it-yourself sobriety...I feel great, however, a little shaky throughout the day. I am hoping to beat this thing and be an example to my husband who drinks also. Here's hoping we can learn to be happy without the alcohol...my guess is, we will not only be happier and more productive, but feeling awesome too for a change!! Best of Luck to you!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR to you both. Many good people here with long term solid sobriety, and a steady influx of newcomers make this a great place.

-SD
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

PS: Just lost my dear friend - He was 44 years old. His liver and kidneys failed due to alcohol abuse. He became sick in April, went to the hospital, fell into a coma and within 30 days he was dead. A HUGE wake up call for me. I am grieving his death and now, trying to avoid my own.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prayforstrength View Post
PS: Just lost my dear friend - He was 44 years old. His liver and kidneys failed due to alcohol abuse. He became sick in April, went to the hospital, fell into a coma and within 30 days he was dead. A HUGE wake up call for me. I am grieving his death and now, trying to avoid my own.

I'm sorry for your loss.

My best drinking buddy died 2.5 years ago of cirrhosis. He was only 43.

Addiction is no joke.

SD
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to SR, both of you! I'm pretty new to the site as well but i'm finding that the more I read and the more I post, the stronger I feel and the less I want to drink. Now, whenever I want a drink, I think about this community and all those who suffer and strive through this disease. I want to be a positive influence on my fellow travelers. Take it one day at a time and remember that every goal achieved is not small. It's ginormous!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Boiler, pray and grits. I am glad you are here on this sight. It has helped me much. This addiction is crazy and it kills. Good luck to both of you. For me the physical craving left with in a few weeks, but the the real journey of dealing my your head began. It is exciting to see that you are also upbeat so early in. Take care (())s the lush
Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome both of you! I'm sorry for your loss, prayforstrength... I can't imagine how hard that must be. I wish you lots of success on your journey in sobriety! This site is amazingly helpful-- You go from feeling all alone to having tons of people rooting for you!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you. I am so excited. I am taking things "one minute" at a time right now. I am constantly reminding myself throughout the day and evening how important this is for me and my family and already beginning to feel pride and strength in my decision to put it behind me. All the best to all of you, I feel very welcome here and inspired!!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome all!!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Hey Boilerman and Prayforstrength, you guys should join the class of August, it is a group on here for all those who started their journey in August. I joined the class of July last month and a major reason I am 24 days sober today is down to the amazing support I have received from people who relate 100% to all I am going through in those early days and weeks.

Go to new posts and you will find a thread for the August Class set up by Member: Real4Real. Welcome to SR
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, I am new here as well. Joined today after reading this forum for a few days. I didn't have much of the problem with alcohol until 4 years ago when stress at work and not happy family life forced me to start drinking. Oh boy it was the wrong move. It haven't solved any of my problems but made me addicted to the devil. 3 months ago I realized that I have a very serious issue despite the fact other people were telling me already that for quite awhile. I rushed to my family doctor and he is trying to help me. The problem is I can stop drinking for 3-4 days without really thinking about alcohol but I once I feel great I start drinking again without any reason. I understand that I have to be on guard now for the rest of my life and drinking is not the option for me anymore. To learn from other people different techniques to avoid alcohol, and receive and provide support to the forum members is the main reason I am here.
My hands are shacking at this very moment and I am sweating like hell (1 day of withdrawal after 7 days of drinking). It is hard for me to believe that only 5 years ago I completed 50km ultra-marathon at age of 45. I am going to fight this beast.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR boilerman

D
Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone, this place seems the place to be. So far so good, It has been about 40 hours, crazy how I am counting hours, but no major cravings or withdrawls. Some nausea, no appitite and did not sleep well, but this is nothing compared to what I expected. Maybe still to come? I will say I had the best night ever w/ my 5 year old, hitting golf balls and watching a movie and actually focusing on him not killing my beer and getting another one. Thanks again all.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Some people count minutes, some hours, some count days. It doesn't matter, as long as you're doing it. I had dry heaves for 2 days so far, and maybe 2 hours sleep in the last 2 days, but it's worth it.

You will have many more happy days with your 5 year old.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome!: I too wondered what I'd do if I couldn't drink... but now that I'm sober over a year I realize that my drinking life wasn't fun at all and it was a good thing to give it up for a sober life.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome again prayforstrength - I'm sorry for your loss.

Welcome to you too Andre - have you considered seeing a Dr?
Detox can sometimes be rough for some of us.

D.