Notices

my friend in AA told me...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

my friend in AA told me...

I made another friend in AA. He gets me to my 7 am meeting & has taken me to the store cause I don't have a car today (non alcohol accident - everything my fiance had upon his death that step children & I argued over has been lost, stolen, or broken).

I shared my feelings of realizing no more pink cloud now & how I am being obnoxious, etc. I asked if he was like that at 77 days (which I keep changing due to my fuzzy brain, but May 16 is my new sobriety date).

He said he didn't have that. His first days were spent in a COMA. His dog pulled out an empty vodka bottle from under a couch. His wife confronted him & he & she began to argue, so, drunkingly he stormed out. Into his car.

One county far from home, an accident transpired. A humdee at 70 mph and an overlooked stop sign later...pronounced dead at the scene...waking up from a coma in a nursing home rehab...he was told about his life...

Now, he eats through a stomach tube, is in constant pain, shoulder clavical bone, 11 out of 12 broken ribs, none of his bones healed properly...had to relearn talking, eating, etc.

WOW! He is alive to share his experience. There's more, but my phone is giving me problems...

Think you had enough to drink? HE DIDN'T! !
Think you've had enough to drink, yet? HE DIDN'T! !!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sugarbear,
The problem with "horror stories" for alcoholics is that we can't remember our own suffering and humiliation from that bender a week or a month ago -- let alone remember someone else's story. And if we do remember, we say to ourselves, "That won't happen to me this time." or "I don't care. F... it." That is ... Unless and until we hit a bottom which is followed by surrender, and then begin the process of recovery. Unfortunately the bottom for some is six feet under. That is a tough, tough story.
Susan
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, Susan! I guess i could have written in my journal, but i don't carry it with me, yet, but i do carry my phone. I can reread this if I need to.

Love, self centered sugarbear
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Horror stories? That was my experience.

My fiance traded alcohol for food and died at 500 pounds.

My experience.

My friend who had that automobile accident has 3 years sober.
I am gratefful to have him in my life.
Today, I will focus on me and how to change me. I will also continue to maintain the same healthy body size I am, hopefully increasing my health with information i recently heard about.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sugarbear. I am not insinuating that what you shared isn't true (as in telling a story or a tale). I do not doubt that was your friend's experience, and an awful one at that. What I am saying is that the alcoholic mind will convince us that it is perfectly safe to pick up that next drink. That is the insanity of alcoholism. If I could remember the last drink and the consequences, I wouldn't need any program of recovery. I would just remember and not drink again. That is the problem with the mental obsession and with those strange mental blank spots. That was the point I was making. I am very sorry your friend had to go through such a difficult experience. I hope he is doing well in his life today. Susan
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sugarbear. I am sorry for your loss. I am sorry that your fiance switched addictions from alcohol to food and that she never got the help she needed. Food is not typically recognized as an addiction, but I believe it can be as addictive as alcohol and drugs. Again I am sorry for your loss. Susan
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Soo....he is still drinking after his ordeal? I am sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

My fiance was male. This phone is my home connect to internet.

I asked my friend, on the way home from 7 am meeting if he remembered feeling obnoxious, etc after the "pink cloud of feeling happy) ended. I have 77 days.

His answer was that he doesn't know cause he spent his early time in a coma.

Seems i am being a jerk now. I got distracted by his story. I am still fuzzy brained.

Did this help? My phone is also acting up...
Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Friend who drove me home has 3 years and is an example of hope for me & in daily pain, but is spiritually growing.

My not yet husband i met in aa in 1992, i took care of him his last 7 years alive. He lost kidney use last 5 of those years, i was sober off and on till may 16 2011. I want a real computer (whining now). He had 15 years sober, but ate his emotional pain "away".
Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Susanlauren, you totally misread my words, whatever i meant. I think all of our stories are horror stories, no matter what!! High, low, or many years of junk (like mine).

My kidney failed D.A. and i parted ways in 1993 and reconnected in 2002. He passed jan 3 2008. I guess i need to write a book!