Notices

Time to get well

Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to get well

Hi all. I'm a heavily addicted alcoholic. I've been drinking too much for about five years and almost daily for the last two years. I've had very high stress jobs and find that when the stress is high the more I drink and this year has been an unfairly tough year.

I've decided to put an end to this madness and get well.

I was doing OK I actually managed to last almost two weeks without a drink I had never been able to get pass two days but I had a job end and leave me in severe financial trouble so I went on a bender to end all benders. Strangely, while on the binge I managed to land a very good job and decided to celebrate by drinking. As soon as I finished my first celebratory glass of Whiskey I immediately become violently ill and realised that I had severely poisoned myself after drinking for days.

I've been vomiting heavily for days, sometimes blood. I have severe abdominal pains, muscle cramps, headaches and nausea. I keep breaking out in cold sweats and can barely sleep. I haven't eat in days and terrified to eat again. This isn't a hangover. I got so used to drinking that I haven't had a hangover in years. This isn't a hangover. It's more like dying.

I'm sharing this because I don't want you to end up like me. I'm absolutely terrified and regret my weakness. I've gotten over weight. I've aged myself by years. I've destroyed my health. I've hurt my family. I've risked my career. I've absolutely destroyed future opportunities. I've lost a lot of money and broken the law. Don't do this to yourself. A moment of weakness with some filthy booze just isn't worth it.

I will recovery. I will have times of weakness but I intend to share my progress here and fight like crazy to get well or I will die and probably soon.

Day 1 - 3rd August 2011.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I would strongly encourage you to speak to your physician about your symptoms. Acute alcohol withdrawal can be quite serious and potentially life threatening. It sounds like you have some serious medical issues that need to be addressed with your physician.

Again welcome to SR. I do hope you will keep us posted on how things are going.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Welcome. I agree with the above. You need to see your Dr asap. It sounds like DTs. But no one here is qualified to diagnose. Quitting drinking suddenly can be deadly. What you are describing is certainly cause to possibly even go to the ER. It happens all the time so it is not an over reaction in any way. It is serious life threatening business.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may well be dying. Go see your Dr. ASAP. Throwing up for days in and of itself can be very dangerous.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

See a doctor ASAP. I was vomiting blood and it turned out booze had eaten holes in my stomach, I was hospitalized several times. Get yourself some help so you can continue posting.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Thanks for sharing, GIT. You'll never know how many people you've helped and will help.

You owe yourself a happy recovery. I suggest you go to AA. You'll find like minded people who are just trying to do what you're trying to do - stay sober one day at a time. You're not a bad person trying to get good, you're a sick person trying to get well. Our job is to get as well as we can before we die.

My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and keep sharing, spending time here will build your strength.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Go to an ER. Alcohol poison can result in DTs which can kill. I've had a seizure while going through withdrawl at home and laid awake in my bed wondering if he would awake to fine the love of his life dead beside him. I've also detoxed in a hospital and was told my potassium and magnesium levels were so low I was at risk of a heart attack and i'm only 30 and not overweight. I really hope you get to an ER. They are great and will take better care of you than you can alone. You can't start living a sober life if you're dead.

Oh, and welcome!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

Please do see a Dr, GetItTogether - I know it's scary, but not seeing one could very well prove scarier....

D
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GetIt, you have to go to the hospital ASAP, like tonight.. right now.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I didn't want to go to the ER at first because it was medical only, no treatment afterwards, and I was afraid that they would look down on me. Nothing of the sort! All the staff from the doctors to the janitors were amazingly kind and understanding. The nurses were angels. I looked forward to their rounds even if it was for a blood draw or a stingy injection. I left there with resources and feeling so much better.

Still, I wish i'd gone to detox at a treatment place 'cause I got a drink on the way home like the alcoholic I am. Sigh. But I survived detox.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The good news is that I've started recovering very quickly over the last couple of hours. I've managed to eat some food and have a shower which always helps brighten me up. I've also been able to get a lot of fluids down (non alcoholic of course) to get my dehydration under control.

Thank you everyone for your concern. It is indeed very kind and heart warming to have your support.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Glad to hear that you're feeling better. Just beware that severe signs of withdrawl can last for days and days. I'm still feeling the effects and my last drink was around Thursday. Be safe and we look forward to seeing you!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you've decided not to get yourself checked out.
If you get worse again, please reconsider.

D
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, GetItTogether, glad you are here! We are all a bit worried about you, as you can probably tell! I think we have a stubborn one here, folks

Seriously though, do you have someone there with you? If not, is there a trusted sober and sensible friend/relative you can ask to stay with you for a couple of days to keep an eye on you while you detox? I'm just thinking that it would be really sad for you to become very, very ill indeed when you've just made one of the best decisions of your life. With a doctor's supervision, it will be a heck of a lot easier on your poor old bod!!!

Here's hoping you don't go it alone. Please have a safe and healthy next few days and let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My decision not to go to hospital is purely a financial one. I simply can't afford medical treatment at the moment. I've pretty much blown my cash on booze. Besides a medium headache now I actually feel OK. I think I'll be fine from here on. The only concerns I have now are the withdrawals at around day three which result in me being very irritable. That will also be Friday night which is usually my biggest drinking night.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Stay home and park yourself here or go find some AA functions. It's pretty normal to have those feelings so at least you're aware of that. I haven't been here on a Friday night but I bet it's busy. If you have any close sober friends that could hang out with you, consider seeing a movie or doing something safe. Just let them know that you'll be on edge and why. Like I said, you're always welcome here.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Best of luck. Like everyone else I'm concerned about you. Sorry that medical treatment is not affordable for you right now. As others have pointed out, you are dealing with a life or death situation here, so please try to find some way to get medical treatment ASAP.

-Josh
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I've made it through the first day without a drink even though there was plenty of booze in the house which I'm about to tip out.

Thanks again everyone for your warm welcome and your support.