Notices

Time to get well

Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Went to the Doctors this morning and was prescribed Valium for the anxiety/withdrawal etc. Was quite stressed about not drinking, being in the crowds and having to pass one of my usual liquor stores.

Took a Valium when I got home and I'm cool as a cucumber now. I have every confidence that I'm going to make it through the danger period tonight when I reach the beer-o'clock hour.

Had to do some grocery shopping later and managed to not give the liquor section a second glance. I was more excited by seeing the frozen desert section. A good sign that my appetite is coming back.

I'll hop back on in a few hours as the Friday night binge time arrives.

Good luck everyone!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I just got incredibly irritable with huge waves of desire to drink whiskey. Not pleasant at all. Upon Doctors instructions I've taken a Valium now I'll wait and see what happens. No doubt I'll be curled up asleep in no time.

Good luck everyone!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I'm giving sobriety another chance now (3rd day)... I had 12 days sober back in April, then relapsed and hate myself for it. Make sure you keep in mind how bad this feels and maybe go to an AA meeting or keep coming back to SR if you need to be reminded. I know the anxiety, panic and the insomnia all to well, but never through-up blood, that would freak me out.
Best of luck to you.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

So happy today. It's Saturday morning and I'm not hungover and messed up. In fact I was able to take my wife and daughter out early for a pancake breakfast and some shopping. Something that I've not been able to do for a very long time.

It's the start of day 4 and the hardest night has been and gone for me. Now I just gotta stay sober.

Eye of the tiger baby! Eye of the tiger!

Good luck today every one!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've made it to day 5. Very irritable and short tempered today. Hoping to get on top of that soon.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will pass...maybe not as quick as we'd like LOL...it takes time for mind and body to heal...but I eventually found an emotional level...we all do...

It gets better

D
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you well. Journal what your stressors are. You said you have high stress, can you come up with a plan for what to do when stress pops up?

Remember, your ulcer, drinking WILL HURT WORSE.

Also, a plan for not drinking. Best wishes! You can do it!

AA online chat has meetings
d
www.desertinthesand.com has speakers to listen to
sober recovery has a chatroom
alcoholics anonymous is online
Search fourth dimension group Bob S. has an audio study of the aa big book
Exercise, dance, scream, talk to someone suffering, be with significant other, play with your children, write a journal, take up cards, chess, coloring...lots of things to do!
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on getting through the past 5 days - that's fantastic!! It really will get better - stay positive! At first, the urges to drink felt like being smacked with a 2x4, but just knowing they're going to resurface from time to time really helps. I still have them occasionally, but they're nothing like they used to be.

One day at a time......
Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing...we do recover together...one day at a time sober. I know you are under doctors care and it seems you are taking the valium as prescribed...please be careful as it is addictive.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It's day 6 and I'm still sober!!!!

Had my first day in my new job and it went really well. I know the people that I'm working with very well and have worked with them before. The CEO cut back my work load from the previous time that I worked with him to lessen my stress which I really appreciate and given that I'm one of the directors now I've instigated new company policies to lessen over time hours and times of high stress for my teams. Also hired a new guy today to help split some of the workload and am looking forward to spending more quality, stress free time with a team of great people that I hold very dearly to me.

Also made it clear that I won't be boozing with them any more like I used to due to needing to take medication which they were all really cool about so the pressure to drink is pretty much off me now.

A very positive day indeed. Now I just have to stay clean and sober.

Good luck everyone. Hang in there. It does get better. Each day feels better than the last. Some withdrawals hit hard but fighting them is completely worth it. I'm over the moon I've made it this far and am feeling much better. Given I was so heavily alcoholic and am making a positive recovery I hope will bring hope to you!

You are too important to give up. Hang in there.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's currently the very early hours of day 7 for me. I'm awake because I keep having the most violent and negative dreams. This has been going on for a few days and wake me up a lot. Starting to walk around in a daze during the day because I'm over tired.

I realize now that it's the Valium causing this. So far they've really helped with anxiety and withdrawal but the nasty dreams aren't worth it now.

Today I'll pick up some valerian for sleeping and ginko for concentration and try to get back to having healthy natural sleep.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It's day 8! I had a great night sleep. Using vitamins and valerian root is doing wonders I feel sensational!

The pain of withdrawal was worth it to feel like this again.

Go for it people. Get well. Get back in control and get on with your life.

Have a truly awesome day!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

This sucks. It's day 9 sober and I'm dying for a drink. Yesterday was great and today I'm struggling. If I had a bottle of whiskey right now I'd be drinking it down.

This is so hard.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Gah! I feel like screaming!

I would give anything right now for a bottle of whiskey, a gram of cocaine and a pack smokes. I'd stay up til sunrise watching art house movies and listening to Tom Waits.

Just can't distract myself and get my mind on something else. Something positive.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

GetItTogether, personally, I'm not into "meetings" but they sure seem to help a LOT of people here, so I'd suggest you look into finding one near you - ASAP!

Please, hang in there.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
~CDHAND89~

I'm new and would like to stay sober as well as help my boyfriend !!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GetIt

Sorry to hear you're struggling - I remember wanting to do similar things - it was all part of my rock n roll outlaw shtick.

I've found you can still stay up all night and watch arthouse movies and listen to Tom Waits - and enjoy it just as much, if not more.... just lay off the stuff that'll kill you

are you using anything besides SR for support?

D
Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR cdhand89
look forward to hearing more of your story too....

You can start your own thread if you like - you'll get more response that way

D