Notices

Here we go again.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again.

I went to rehab almost 2 years ago, and figured that I knew more than they did. The day I left, I bought a fifth of gin to celebrate my release. I only spent 12 days there, because, in my mind, if I was sober for 12 days, I had it licked. Funny how things don't work out as we plan. Well, fast forward 2 years, and I am in the same old place, faced with some hard decisions. I've already talked with the VA and am scheduled to go back into rehab on Aug 22. I am committed to do the full program this time. The problem is that they prescribed me Naltrexone and it doesn't appear to be doing any good. I don't want to go through detox, since I've never done it before, but, I'd like to know from anyone if Naltrexone has worked for you?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haven't used it. I have been though in-patient, out-patient, 5 or 6 detoxs--supervised and not (bad). For some reason sobriety just couldn't get it right. It must be defective. Thank you for the post.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never used it either.

I hope that your rehab goes well.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Bob
No experience with naltrexone here either, sorry.

good luck, man
D
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Bob!

I went to rehab 3 years ago, I am an alcoholic. I tried naltrexone, the pills and the injections (1 months worth of gel in your bum cheek). The injections hurt like heck!

But none of that took the cravings away. What did work, and my wife saw this on good morning america, was Baclofen. I printed out the study and my GP DR gave me a prescription for 10mg, 3x's a day. (I didn't tell him I bought a 2 week supply online to see if it worked, it did for me and it was only 40 bucks). I am on it today. What it did for me was to take 90% of the unbearable craving away. I was lulled into a false sense of security, like you. Although it took 90% of the craving I had to deal with that 10%. So I found myself clean throughout the week and then putting a way a bottle of whiskey on the weekends. I didn't like how I felt so I stopped altogether 4.5 weeks ago and I don't miss it honestly.

Hope this helps my friend!

Good Luck